Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: using floppy on Sun solaris
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory using floppy on Sun solaris Post 55523 by hmaiida on Tuesday 14th of September 2004 04:45:33 AM
Old 09-14-2004
using floppy on Sun solaris

hi everybody

i'm trying to write something on a floppy...please i'm a beginner..how can i manage this?

do i have to mount it first (how ?) and must i be root to such an operation?

thanks for help
hmaida

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing floppy drive with solaris 8 Intel version

Ok heres the situation, I bought solaris 8 (intel version) for my home pc to practice with, I'm having problems accessing my floppy drive, I thought it would be in my dev or devices folder but its not there Please help, I'm very new to unix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun Solaris Sun Java Desktop

Ok I a n00b, not gunna hide it so here goes - Sun Solaris, V.10 i386 - during the setup, I can choose a screen resolution that looks great with 65k colors and all. However, when all is said and done 4 disks and a reboot later, I get hanious 640x480 @ 256 only. If I choose the Sun Java Desktop... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spooky
20 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 floppy drive problem

I have inserted a diskette but I don't see the files nor the floppy drive. These are the commands I ran. #volcheck -v #rmformat With rmformat, only the CD-ROM is listed. I don't see any floppy drive. How can I get my floppy drive to work?? I know it is connected b/c when I boot in XP, I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 Packages necessary for Floppy Access

I'm a newbie to Unix, but am working with some people that are more knowledgable than I, and we're all stumped. We are working to secure (Information Assurance) a Command & Control System that uses a Solaris 8 Application server. As part of this process, we are attempting to minimize the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

7. Solaris

useful links and help resources for Sun's products and Sun's Solaris

Hi all, Those links might help anyone Knowledge base Video tutorials (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris JumpStart Image on Floppy?

I was wondering if there was a Solaris JumpStart image small enough to fit on a floppy. The computer I want to JumpStart doesn't have a CD drive. If so, where could I download it? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun Solaris not able to ping Sun Solaris

I have a Sun Blade 2500 with SUN 5.9 OS installed. I can ping other machines(windowsXP/2003) from my SUN machines but not able to ping each other SUN machines which i have newly installed. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
7 Replies
DOSSRV(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 DOSSRV(4)

NAME
dossrv, 9660srv, a:, b:, c:, eject - DOS and ISO9660 file systems SYNOPSIS
dossrv [ -v ] [ -s ] [ -f file ] [ service ] 9660srv [ -v ] [ -s ] [ -f file ] [ service ] a: b: c: eject [ n ] DESCRIPTION
Dossrv is a file server that interprets DOS file systems. A single instance of dossrv can provide access to multiple DOS disks simultane- ously. Dossrv posts a file descriptor named service (default dos) in the /srv directory. To access the DOS file system on a device, use mount with the spec argument (see bind(1)) the name of the file holding raw DOS file system, typically the disk. If spec is undefined in the mount, dossrv will use file as the default name for the device holding the DOS system. Normally dossrv creates a pipe to act as the communications channel between itself and its clients. The -s flag instructs dossrv to use its standard input and output instead. The kernels use this if they are booting from a DOS disk. This flag also prevents the creation of an explicit service file in /srv. The -v flag causes verbose output for debugging. The shell script a: contains unmount /n/a: >[2] /dev/null mount -c /srv/dos /n/a: /dev/fd0disk and is therefore a shorthand for mounting a floppy disk in drive A. The scripts b: and c: are similar. 9660srv is identical to dossrv in specification, except that it interprets ISO9660 CD-ROM file systems instead of DOS file systems. If the floppy drive has an ejection motor, eject will spit out the floppy from drive n, default 0. EXAMPLE
Mount a floppy disk with a DOS file system on it. dossrv a: SEE ALSO
kfs(4) SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/dossrv /sys/src/cmd/9660srv /rc/bin/eject DOSSRV(4)