Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: regular expresion question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers regular expresion question Post 55496 by gillbates on Monday 13th of September 2004 12:53:53 PM
Old 09-13-2004
By using the ? mark there I can get away with having spaces in a name as the system looks for anything there. I don't actually rename the files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression Question

Hi - I am trying to ignore the following items from a list. lp0 lp11 lp12 lp14 The following code works fine, but I was wondering if there was a tidier way to write the lp regular expression? egrep -v "lp" Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krispy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable regular expresion in awk.

:confused: Is there any way to use in awk a regular exprexion with a format not previusly known? I mean something like /VAR/ ,obviously VAR is the variable exprexion. Thak you all in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression question

hi i need to wipe out something from giving path i have some thing like that : pwd | sed 's/.*foo//' it is working fine when I have path like : /blah/balh1/foo/moo so it erasing me all that comes before the foo including the foo but I have problem when I have dir by the name of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on Regular Expression

Folks; Could some one tell me what these 2 regular expressions mean: */(*)/* (\d\d\d\d/\d\d/\d\d/*?) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in if expresion

Hi All, Is my script still error?? i try to running and still error?? need help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justbow
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expresion

Here's my script read number if echo $number | grep "" I want this "if" statement to return true only when numbers without letters is matched. For example 45 - true, 923 - true, r5 - false, tg/f - false and so on. In this script even a single digit number like "3" returns false. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eXPlosion
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KShell regular expresion

Hi, I would like to know if the parameter i am passing to a shell script is contain the following charachter : ASM. I belive that i should use regular expresion here. Can one help ? Bellow is the "if statment" i need to fix with the reg exp: if ; then #echo "IT IS AN RDBMS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions question

Hi I have a multiple line file in the following format: .... 1095 1000 0011 0000 1000 0101 0100 1100 1111 1096 1000 0011 0000 1000 0101 0100 1100 1111 1111 1000 0011 0010 1000 1001 0100 1100 1101 1112 1000 0011 0000 1000 0001 0100 1100 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on the regular expresion =~

my $hw_plf_desc = `grep hw_platform $NODE_CFG_FILE`; if($hw_plf_desc =~ /Netra X4270 X4446A M2 /) Could someone explain the use of =~ .... this works only for perl . What is the alternate for the same in shell . Could any one convert this to shell script (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search using Regular Expresion

Hi, I am getting a string in the file, I want to parse the srting and extract the percentage from the string. Sample string are - ASAD112_sd12.34%adnmfk ASAsds_1.34%adnmfk ASAdf 2 sd12.34%adnmfk ASAD112_sd 12.34% adnmfk ASAD112_sd12.34% adnmfk I want to extract the numeric value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetvipin
3 Replies
lex(1)							      General Commands Manual							    lex(1)

Name
       lex - generate lexical analyzer

Syntax
       lex [-tvfn] file...

Description
       The  command  generates	programs  to be used in simple lexical analysis of text.  The input files (standard input default) contain regular
       expressions to be searched for, and actions written in C to be executed when expressions are found.

A C source program, 'lex.yy.c', is generated.  It is compiled using the following command line:
       cc lex.yy.c -ll
       This program copies unrecognized portions of the input to the output, and executes the associated C action for each regular expression that
       is recognized.

Options
       -f   Runs a faster compilation (does not pack resulting tables).  This is limited to small programs.

-n   Prints no summary information (default option).

-t   Writes to standard output instead of to file

-v   Prints one-line summary of generated statistics.

Examples
       In the following example, the command
       lex lexcommands
       draws instructions from the file lexcommands, and places the output in lex.yy.c.  The command
       %%
       [A-Z]	 putchar(yytext[0]+'a'-'A');
       [ ]+$
       [ ]+ putchar(' ');

is  an example of a program that would be put into a command file.  This program converts upper case to lower, removes blanks at the end of
       lines, and replaces multiple blanks by single blanks.

See Also
       sed(1), yacc(1)
       "LEX - Lexical Analyzer Generator", Supplementary Documents, Volume 2: Programmer

lex(1)