Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using tar for current directory, but not subs Post 55475 by zazzybob on Monday 13th of September 2004 09:07:23 AM
Old 09-13-2004
You could do something like
Code:
ls -l | grep '^[^d]' | awk '{print $9}' | xargs tar cvf foo.tar

to exclude subdirectories too (providing you execute this command from within the directory you want tar'd).

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to remove same file in the dir and subs?

Hi all, Let say I have abc.gif file in the dir: A A/Sub1 A/Sub2 This abc.gif file is located in each of the dir and its sub. I want to be able to remove it at once w/out going into each folder and remove it one at a time. What is the command to do that? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasonhawaii
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in current directory when 100,000's files in current directory

Hi All I was wondering what is the most efficient way to find files in the current directory(that may contain 100,000's files), that meets a certain specified file type and of a certain age. I have experimented with the find command in unix but it also searches all sub directories. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewong007
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar the entire directory except one directory

Hi All, I need to tar the entire directory except one directory inside that. I have used the below command tar -cvfX test.tar bin/perl bin/ I need to tar all the directories inside the bindirectory except the perl directory Please help me in solving this :b: Regards, Kalai (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to rsync or tar directory trees, with hidden directory, but without files?

I want to backup all the directory tress, including hidden directories, without copying any files. find . -type d gives the perfect list. When I tried tar, it won't work for me because it tars all the files. find . -type d | xargs tar -cvf a.tar So i tried rsync. On my own test box, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories, subs and files

Hi, I try to list all files in a folder, including all the subdirs (and their subdirs) and all files contained in each of these folders. I then print it to a simple txt file. I use ls -R -1 >test.txt This sort of does what I need, yet, the result is something like: It reasonably comes... (53 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakke
53 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar file from current folder

Hello guys, I am sure this has been asked before, but honestly, I cant find post talking about it. Here is what I need: - A tar file will be generated manually by user - This tar file is then used within a bash shell script My source folder structure is like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manolain
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to tar data along with current system date and time.?

Hi all, Following is my small script:- #!/bin/ksh for i in `cat /users/jack/mainfile-dr.txt` do sudo cp -r $i /users/jack/DR01/. done cd /users/jack/DR01/ sudo tar cvf system1-DR.tar * scp system1-DR.tar backupserver:/DRFiles/system1 sudo rm -rf system1-DR.tar In this script I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the current directory Path?

How to get the current directory Path in your prompt? i am getting a $ mark only in my prompt? Please help me with this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek0683
3 Replies

10. AIX

Making Tar of directory and tar file is going to be placed

Quick question, is it possible to make a Tar of completely directory and placing the tar file in it (will this cause even the tar file to tarred ?) sample: /opt/freeware/bin/tar -cvf - /oracle | gzip > /oracle/backup.tgz will the tar file backup.tgz also include backup.tgz ? i tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
procsystime(1m) 						   USER COMMANDS						   procsystime(1m)

NAME
procsystime - analyse system call times. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
procsystime [-acehoT] [ -p PID | -n name | command ] DESCRIPTION
procsystime prints details on system call times for processes, both the elapsed times and on-cpu times can be printed. The elapsed times are interesting, to help identify syscalls that take some time to complete (during which the process may have slept). CPU time helps us identify syscalls that are consuming CPU cycles to run. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-a print all data -c print syscall counts -e print elapsed times, ns -o print CPU times, ns -T print totals -p PID examine this PID -n name examine processes which have this name EXAMPLES
Print elapsed times for PID 1871, # procsystime -p 1871 Print elapsed times for processes called "tar", # procsystime -n tar Print CPU times for "tar" processes, # procsystime -on tar Print syscall counts for "tar" processes, # procsystime -cn tar Print elapsed and CPU times for "tar" processes, # procsystime -eon tar print all details for "bash" processes, # procsystime -aTn bash run and print details for "df -h", # procsystime df -h FIELDS
SYSCALL System call name TIME (ns) Total time, nanoseconds COUNT Number of occurrences DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
procsystime will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtruss(1M), dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.00 Sep 22, 2005 procsystime(1m)