Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ntp configuration
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ntp configuration Post 55258 by mariobernier on Tuesday 7th of September 2004 12:09:45 PM
Old 09-07-2004
Network ntp configuration

Hi all,

I'm sure this question was asked before but I couldn't find what I was looking for in the 2 threads I found on here.

Here's my question/problem:

I have an isolated (no connection to outside world at all) Unix network. I want to have time sync between my other non-PC based system and my 2 SUN servers.

So my plan was to have my "master" server running ntp.conf as the NTP master with:

server 127.0.0.1
fudge 127.127.1.1 startum 6
broadcast 224.0.1.1

and my "client" running ntp.conf with

multicastclient 224.0.1.1

Now as far as I can tell all is working OK and multicast is enable and working fine on both SUNs. I do not have any errors in the logs telling me otherwise. However, when I run the "ntpdate -u master" command I get "No server suitable for sync found" and I do not see the master sending broadcast on 224.0.1.1.

Have I missed something????

Thanks

Mario

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Ntp

How can I install ntp on AIX (4.3-5.1) ? thnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gismo
1 Replies

2. Solaris

ntp server and ntp client

All, How do you set a Solaris 9 server which received ntp updates from a ntp server to broadcast them on a local subnet. I have created a /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to receive the updates from a server on network and need to make this server become like a ntp relay from the main server. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

NTP Configuration on RHEL 5.4

Hi, I'm trying to configure NTP client, however it failes to sync correctly. Even after I manually set the time, once it connects with the NTP server, it pushes the time ahead by 4 hours. We have set an AIX host as NTP server. It works fine for other AIX hosts, however fails on RHEL 5.4 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_min
4 Replies

4. Solaris

ntp server configuration

hi Please give me the configuration steps for NTP server. How do i sync other servers with this NTP server thanks to all (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

5. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NTP configuration issue..

hello Guys, I have an NTP problem on my SUN N240 server. External NTP server is being used for this box and when i run 'ntpq -p' i get connection refused message; ntpq -p ntpq: read: Connection refused Here this is the ntp.conf file: cat /etc/ntp.conf # BEGIN NTP SERVERS server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dyavuzy1
6 Replies

7. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

8. Solaris

ntp client configuration error

hi all ntp client side configuration file is done but in # ntpq -p remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset disp ============================================================================== ntpserver .INIT. 16 u - 64 0 0.00 0.000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

NTP Configuration file

Hi, Could you please explain about "restrict" parameters in /etc/ntp.conf in ntp client and ntp Servers. Example: restrict 127.0.0.1 restrict -6 ::1 restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap Regards, Mastan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies
nissetup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       nissetup(8)

NAME
nissetup, ypsetup - Sets up the Network Information Service (NIS) environment SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/nissetup /usr/sbin/ypsetup DESCRIPTION
The nissetup (formerly ypsetup) script configures and runs NIS on your system. You can use nissetup to initially set up your NIS configura- tion, to change your current NIS configuration, or to remove your NIS configuration. NIS provides a distributed data lookup service for sharing data among networked systems. Before running nissetup, make sure that your system is connected to a local area network and that the network is configured and running. You must know the name of your NIS domain and your system's role in the domain (master server, slave server, or client). Security Note You invoke nissetup from the SysMan Menu. See sysman(8) for more information. When using the nissetup script to set up a NIS server that is running with enhanced security, you must answer yes to the question about locking the domain name and authorized servers (the ypbind -S option). If you are setting up a master server, the server is bound to itself (done by default). If you are setting up a slave server, the server is bound to itself done by default) and optionally to the master server and any other slave servers. If your system will be the master server for your NIS domain, be sure no other master exists for your domain and that the NIS database files are in the /var/yp/src directory. Note Remove the root entry, if it exists, from the passwd database file. If your system be will be a slave server or client, be sure a master server is already set up for your NIS domain. FILES
Specifies the command pathname NIS parameters pertinent to a specific system Default NIS Databases In the /var/yp/src directory, the default databases are: Group database Host database Sendmail alias database Network group aliases data- base Network database Password database Protocol database RPC database Service database SEE ALSO
Commands: domainname(1), ypwhich(1), svcsetup(8), sysman(8), sysman_station(8), ypbind(8), yppasswdd(8), ypserv(8), ypxfr(8) Files: svc.conf(4) Networking: nis_intro(7), nis_manual_setup(7) Network Administration nissetup(8)