Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alarm signal
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Alarm signal Post 55249 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 7th of September 2004 10:57:43 AM
Old 09-07-2004
I do not know what exactly is going on.

The error message means that the process received SIGALRM, which is like an alarm clock ringing, saying 'wake up'.

Apparently the asccron.ksh script does not handle signals.

Since you get the same error when you are in vi, it looks like there is another process that is running as a daemon or maybe a detached process that looks for 'asscron' or some very similar file name, then sends a SIGALRM to the process that has the file.

Does the asscron.ksh script create another process?

Edit:
Code:
trap "" ALRM
or
trap "" 14

will stop the process from crashing, if it's added near the top of the script. But you still need to find out what is sending signal.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 09-07-2004 at 12:05 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alarm

Hello I have a server HP ES40 with unix 5.1B, and if i open from Start-Programs-IN Tools-GUI/pfmalarm/Alarm-start monitoring , I receive this error message "IOR : STRING IS TOO LONG ! MAXIMUM SIZE = 1024" Anybody heard about this error? Thanks Alin (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomaalin
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl alarm signal

I am trying to write a signal to exit when a process times out. What I have come up with from poking around the web is this. #!/usr/bin/perl eval { local $SIG{ALRM} = sub { die "alarm clock restart" }; alarm 10; open(DSMADMC, "dsmadmc -se=tsmpc1 -id=XXXXX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
2 Replies

3. Programming

Basic signal and alarm usage

I am trying to write a program that will; 1) Show the message "Snoozing now...zzzz" on the screen for 5 seconds 2) Then in the same position show the message "The ALARM is going off now!" for 5 seconds 3) Repeat 1) then 2) infinitely until user presses Ctrl C I can't make it work. Any hints... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
17 Replies

4. AIX

File Accessed Alarm ??

Hey, I want to ask a simple Question.... How would I be able to come to know that files/directoires in a Parent directory has been accessed (means contents of the file has been just viewed) by the user(s) in a group ? and mail the name(s) of those files/directories which has been accessed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varungupta
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Accessed Alarm ??

Hey, I want to ask a simple Question.... How would I be able to come to know that files/directoires in a Parent directory has been accessed (means contents of the file has been just viewed) by the user(s) in a group ? and mail the name(s) of those files/directories which has been accessed... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

raise an alarm in Unix

Hi members, I am working in WebSphere in Unix environment. we are working with 500 odd servers and most of the times processes got down. Can i have any shell script through whih some popup with alarm get raised whenever some server get down. kindly help.. Thanks Rishi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rishi.madan
1 Replies

7. Programming

alarm signal processing

I'm writing a function right now, and I want to set an alarm to avoid a timeout, here's the general idea of my code: int amt = -2; alarm(10); amt = read(fd, &t->buf, TASKBUFSIZ - tailpos); //do a read when the alarm goes off, i want to check the value of "amt" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liaobert
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Sysedge alarm threshold

Hello, how can we determine alarm threshold from sysedge in a solaris box? can anybody please help me? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting an alarm

Hi All, I am monitoring batch Processes running in UNIX environment. I use PuTTy to monitor the process running. I have to continuously monitor and look on the screen if some error has come or not. If an error comes FAILURE word is displayed instead of SUCCESS as shown below on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampandey31
2 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Alarm interrupt and multithreading

Hi Friends any know how became a friend in this Android Programming Language (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljarun
0 Replies
trap(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)