Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users 3600 tcp/udp, trap-daemon, text relay-answer Post 55054 by RTM on Wednesday 1st of September 2004 09:41:14 AM
Old 09-01-2004
Quote:
The Registered Ports are listed by the IANA and on most systems can be
used by ordinary user processes or programs executed by ordinary
users.

Ports are used in the TCP [RFC793] to name the ends of logical
connections which carry long term conversations. For the purpose of
providing services to unknown callers, a service contact port is
defined. This list specifies the port used by the server process as
its contact port.

The IANA registers uses of these ports as a convenience to the
community.

To the extent possible, these same port assignments are used with the
UDP [RFC768].

The Registered Ports are in the range 1024-49151.
Could be used for most anything - you would have to do some more investigating on your server - post your OS and version so the correct commands may be given to possibly scan ports.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TCP/UDP Ports

Just starting to work with unix, wondering if there is any good on-line documentation explaining TCP/UDP ports, how to use them, etc... Thanks.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eugene_mayo
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

TCP/UDP Ports

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good on-line documentation on TCP/UDP Ports. Basically i want to know how to check if they are in use, learn how to close them, etc... Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugene_mayo
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent answer needed, please: help with a text editor

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I'm in a big hurry and I need a pretty quick answer: I have to make a project for school which consists of many BASH scripts. At school we have Sun Sparcs. During the laboratory hours I used to open the text editor (in the graphics interface), edit the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MtFR
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check the TCP/UDP port of a connection

Hi, Users are connecting thru a KCML Client to UNIX machine, and I want to know which TCP/UDP port that client uses? How can I check the port of a user logged in? Regards, Tayyab (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

3600 C Class disk upgrade

Hi there I have a 3600 C class PA-RISC workstation, and I am wondering if I can increase the disk capacity on it. I have a couple of 73GB Seagate SCSI disks which I could fit in to the SCA slots, and if they are not suitable I am willing to find alternatives - but I am not sure how to go... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freddo_21
3 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

linux snmp trap relay

Hi all, I'm after a linux utility that can relay all incoming traffic on a certain port to another server. Can anyone recommend a good program? I've taken a look at snmptrapd, but it's not obvious how this can be configured for my requirements. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badoshi
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

UDP Server/Daemon for receiving & acknowledging data

I'm looking for a couple high level pointers to writing a UDP server that will be acknowledging data at a rate of approximately twelve packets every second and will be running on and older but more or less dedicated Solaris 9 box. Acknowledging the data packets is relatively simple, after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allbread
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bind 9 forwarders: use UDP or TCP?

I use forwarders for a subzone, but TCP 53 is blocked, So does forwarders really need TCP? If forwaders use UDP, I can't get following scenario to work: main zone is master, but subzone is forwad. Is it possible? (On name sever itself, resolution of xx.stub.abc.com worked fine.) #sub zone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

9. AIX

TCP/UDP port range for default AIX NFS?

May I know what is the TCP/UCP port range for any default AIX NFS? Based on rpcinfo -p, I got the following output: program vers proto port service 100000 4 udp 111 portmapper 100000 3 udp 111 portmapper 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper 100000 4 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: famasutika
4 Replies
SERVICES(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       SERVICES(5)

NAME
services - Internet network services list DESCRIPTION
services is a plain ASCII file providing a mapping between human-friendly textual names for internet services, and their underlying assigned port numbers and protocol types. Every networking program should look into this file to get the port number (and protocol) for its service. The C library routines getservent(3), getservbyname(3), getservbyport(3), setservent(3), and endservent(3) support querying this file from programs. Port numbers are assigned by the IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority), and their current policy is to assign both TCP and UDP proto- cols when assigning a port number. Therefore, most entries will have two entries, even for TCP-only services. Port numbers below 1024 (so-called "low numbered" ports) can only be bound to by root (see bind(2), tcp(7), and udp(7)). This is so clients connecting to low numbered ports can trust that the service running on the port is the standard implementation, and not a rogue service run by a user of the machine. Well-known port numbers specified by the IANA are normally located in this root-only space. The presence of an entry for a service in the services file does not necessarily mean that the service is currently running on the machine. See inetd.conf(5) for the configuration of Internet services offered. Note that not all networking services are started by inetd(8), and so won't appear in inetd.conf(5). In particular, news (NNTP) and mail (SMTP) servers are often initialized from the system boot scripts. The location of the services file is defined by _PATH_SERVICES in <netdb.h>. This is usually set to /etc/services. Each line describes one service, and is of the form: service-name port/protocol [aliases ...] where: service-name is the friendly name the service is known by and looked up under. It is case sensitive. Often, the client program is named after the service-name. port is the port number (in decimal) to use for this service. protocol is the type of protocol to be used. This field should match an entry in the protocols(5) file. Typical values include tcp and udp. aliases is an optional space or tab separated list of other names for this service. Again, the names are case sensitive. Either spaces or tabs may be used to separate the fields. Comments are started by the hash sign (#) and continue until the end of the line. Blank lines are skipped. The service-name should begin in the first column of the file, since leading spaces are not stripped. service-names can be any printable characters excluding space and tab. However, a conservative choice of characters should be used to minimize compatibility problems. E.g., a-z, 0-9, and hyphen (-) would seem a sensible choice. Lines not matching this format should not be present in the file. (Currently, they are silently skipped by getservent(3), getservby- name(3), and getservbyport(3). However, this behavior should not be relied on.) This file might be distributed over a network using a network-wide naming service like Yellow Pages/NIS or BIND/Hesiod. A sample services file might look like this: netstat 15/tcp qotd 17/tcp quote msp 18/tcp # message send protocol msp 18/udp # message send protocol chargen 19/tcp ttytst source chargen 19/udp ttytst source ftp 21/tcp # 22 - unassigned telnet 23/tcp FILES
/etc/services The Internet network services list <netdb.h> Definition of _PATH_SERVICES SEE ALSO
listen(2), endservent(3), getservbyname(3), getservbyport(3), getservent(3), setservent(3), inetd.conf(5), protocols(5), inetd(8) Assigned Numbers RFC, most recently RFC 1700, (AKA STD0002) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-05-22 SERVICES(5)