Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Frequently used command in UNIX Post 54807 by zazzybob on Wednesday 25th of August 2004 04:28:28 AM
Old 08-25-2004
Depends what shell you're using.

(type "echo $0" and give us the output).

Cheers
ZB

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

why i havent been posting so frequently...

to start, i will continue to be an active member of this community and still love computers and unix based operating systems. ive been busy recently with a pretty big project, not involving unix :p one of my other hobbies is automobiles. i have a 1986.5 toyota supra, now if anyone here has... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server rebooting frequently

O/P of the uname -a Server Server 4.0 3.0 3516 Pentium IV(TM)-ISA/PCI Server is getting rebooted frequetly... I don't know what is the problem in server ... Any help why the server is getting rebooted frequetly. Can i check what is the problem like in log files (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

Server Hanging frequently - urgent help required

hi, I am facing a sever problem in mu HO-UX 11.11.0 Server which is getting hanged for last 3/4 days. Its giveing error insufficient memory. Earlier this problem was not there. We are using oour ERP & informix on the same. There no heavy & sudden increase of data. When I checked the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: micku_100
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Server Rebooting frequently

Deall All, I have facing some problem. I have a Sun 4500 Server at the customer place. Now the server is not booting mean's once the server is coming up it is automatically rebooting. As this is the critical server for the customer that is use for production . Can this be solved by... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
10 Replies

5. Linux

/var getting fill frequently

I have Red hat Linux server. There are 14 NFS shares which are coming from NAS. There are so many messages filling /var/log/messages, which seems like some NFS logging is enables somewhere, but I am not able to figure it out. Every few minutes, it will filll my /var (which is part of root) to 100%... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

6. Linux

Running 'sync' command frequently.

I have a Linux server that runs a Java based app that automates file transfers for a large number of users/systems. I'm running into a problem with the scripts for this automation program in that when I have a function in the script generate an output file, and the next line requires that file to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acascianelli
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Interface card link goes down and recovers frequently

Hi Experts, I have an issue where the interface card went down for like four times in last one week in redhat linux server. Every time it goes down, it comes back. 2014 Oct 21 07:22:14 <hostname> kernel: nx_nic: NIC Link is down 2014 Oct 21 07:22:21 <hostname> kernel: nx_nic: NIC Link is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanu1985
3 Replies
mkmanifest(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mkmanifest(1)

Name
       mkmanifest - makes list of file names and their DOS 8+3 equivalent

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mkmanifest command is used to create a shell script (packing list) to restore Unix filenames. Its syntax is:

mkmanifest [ files ]

Mkmanifest creates a shell script that aids in the restoration of Unix filenames that got clobbered by the  MS-DOS  filename  restrictions.
       MS-DOS filenames are restricted to 8 character names, 3 character extensions, upper case only, no device names, and no illegal characters.

The mkmanifest program is compatible with the methods used in pcomm, arc, and mtools to change perfectly good Unix filenames to fit the MS-
       DOS restrictions. This command is only useful if the target system which will read the diskette cannot handle vfat long names.

Example
       You want to copy the following Unix files to a MS-DOS diskette (using the mcopy command).

very_long_name
	    2.many.dots
	    illegal:
	    good.c
	    prn.dev
	    Capital

Mcopy converts the names to:

very_lon
	    2xmany.dot
	    illegalx
	    good.c
	    xprn.dev
	    capital

The command:

mkmanifest very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital >manifest

would produce the following:

mv very_lon very_long_name
	    mv 2xmany.dot 2.many.dots
	    mv illegalx illegal:
	    mv xprn.dev prn.dev
	    mv capital Capital

Notice that "good.c" did not require any conversion, so it did not appear in the output.

Suppose I've copied these files from the diskette to another Unix system, and I now want the files back to their original  names.   If  the
       file "manifest" (the output captured above) was sent along with those files, it could be used to convert the filenames.

Bugs
       The short names generated by mkmanifest follow the old convention (from mtools-2.0.7) and not the one from Windows 95 and mtools-3.0.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at: `http://mtools.linux.lu' and also at: `http://www.tux.org/pub/knaff/mtools'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-3.9.8							      02Jun01							     mkmanifest(1)