Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help with AWK..
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with AWK.. Post 54554 by zazzybob on Wednesday 18th of August 2004 04:41:48 AM
Old 08-18-2004
This is just a quick hack, but try something like

Code:
awk -v FS=';' 'BEGIN {printf ( "%-10s\t%-10s\t%-10s\n", "Job Number", "Job Na
me", "User Name") } {printf( "%-10s\t%-10s\t%-10s\n", $1, $2, $3 )}' inputfile

This example only processes the first three fields, so you'll need to expand this to use all your fields. Also put the awk in a script, 'cos this one-liner is a bit long and unmanageable.

The output you'll get is....
Code:
Job Number      Job Name        User Name
#J3010          SPOOL           UNISPOOL.SYS
#J3339          SR261C03        MANAGER.SYS
#J3340          SR214C03        MANAGER.SYS
#J3342          SR260C03        MANAGER.SYS

Change the formatting to suit your needs.

Edit: Looking at your source data above, it looks like each record is spread across two lines? If so, pipe through paste to get the two lines concatenated before processing.

e.g.

Code:
paste - - < inputfile | awk -v FS=';' -f awkscript

Also, if you don't want that top line (hp14) to be processed, use
Code:
sed '1d' inputfile | paste - - | awk -v FS=';' -f awkscript

instead.

Cheers
ZB

Last edited by zazzybob; 08-18-2004 at 05:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting/awk help : awk sum output is not comming in regular format. Pls advise.

Hi Experts, I am adding a column of numbers with awk , however not getting correct output: # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15291e+06 How can I getthe output like : 2152910 Thank you.. # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15079e+06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign variable with -v didn't work in awk filter

I want to filter 2nd column = 2 using awk $ cat t 1 2 2 4 $ VAR=2 #variable worked in print $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR ' { print ID}' 2 2 # but variable didn't work in awk filter $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR '$2~/ID/ { print $0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to compare a file with set of files in a directory using 'awk'

Hi, I have a situation to compare one file, say file1.txt with a set of files in directory.The directory contains more than 100 files. To be more precise, the requirement is to compare the first field of file1.txt with the first field in all the files in the directory.The files in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandek
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk field to a command line executed within awk

Hi, I am trying to pass awk field to a command line executed within awk (need to convert a timestamp into formatted date). All my attempts failed this far. Here's an example. It works fine with timestamp hard-codded into the command echo "1381653229 something" |awk 'BEGIN{cmd="date -d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxer
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output yields error: awk:can't open job_name (Autosys)

Good evening, Im newbie at unix specially with awk From an scheduler program called Autosys i want to extract some data reading an inputfile that comprises jobs names, then formating the output to columns for example 1. This is the inputfile: $ more MapaRep.txt ds_extra_nikira_usuarios... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
18 Replies
IBDM-TOPO-FILE(1)					       IB DATA MODEL PACKAGE						 IBDM-TOPO-FILE(1)

NAME
IBDM Topology File The topology file describes the IB connectivity and systems included in the network. It serves two purposes: 1. Support for arbitrary system names to be later used in every report that IBDM generates. 2. Connectivity verification: The specified network topology is verified against the discovered one. Mismatch errors resulting from missing cables and/or wrong connections are reported by IBADM. The topology file is composed "system" sections. Each such section describes the connectivity of one system to other systems in the net- work. The first line of each section is a declaration of the system composed of a system-type, its system-name section, and optional con- figuration details. The lines to follow until the next empty line describe the connections between this system ports to the other systems. The following is a formal definition of a system section syntax. An example is listed afterwards. SYSTEM-TYPE SYSTEM-NAME [CFG: <b1>=<modifier>, [<b2>=<modifier>]...] LOCAL-PORT-PANEL-NAME -> REM-SYS-TYPE REM-SYS-NAME REM-PORT-PANEL-NAME LOCAL-PORT-PANEL-NAME -> REM-SYS-TYPE REM-SYS-NAME REM-PORT-PANEL-NAME LOCAL-PORT-PANEL-NAME -> REM-SYS-TYPE REM-SYS-NAME REM-PORT-PANEL-NAME . . . SYSTEM-TYPE SYSTEM-NAME [CFG: <b1>=<modifier>, [<b2>=<modifier>]...] LOCAL-PORT-PANEL-NAME -> REM-SYS-TYPE REM-SYS-NAME REM-PORT-PANEL-NAME LOCAL-PORT-PANEL-NAME -> REM-SYS-TYPE REM-SYS-NAME REM-PORT-PANEL-NAME . . . . . . Where: SYSTEM-TYPE and REM-SYS-TYPE Any system that has a corresponding IBNL definition. See man ibdm-ibnl-file SYSTEM-NAME The name of the system described in this topology file section. LOCAL-PORT-PANEL-NAME The name of the local system port. The numbers printed on the front panel are used together with Ln for Leaf no. N or Sn for Spine no. N. REM-SYS-NAME The name of the system connected to the local port. REM-PORT-PANEL-NAME A name of the remote system port. We use the numbers as printed on the front panel and Ln for Leaf number N or Sn for Spine number N. EXAMPLE
The following is a topology file for a simple cluster with one 24 port switch and two HCAs. The firts HCA named H-1 and connect to the fab- ric with its two ports. The second HCA named H-2. The switch is of type MTS2400 and is named S-1 MTS2400 S-1 P1 -> MT23108 H-1 P1 P2 -> MT23108 H-1 P2 P24 -> MT23108 H-2 P1 OPTIONAL CFG SECTION
This section in the system declaration line describes the special customization of each board of the system. That is the CFG string is a set of comma-separated sub-fields. Each sub-field describes some special configuration of a corresponding sys- tem board. The actual semantics of the specific board modifiers is defined by the IBNL of the specific system. EXAMPLE
The following is an example of a definition-line in a topology file of the MTS9600 switch system. This switch system can have up to eight leafs and four spines. This example of the MTS9600 lacks (R) leafs no.6,7 and 8, and lacks spines no. 3 and 4. MTS9600 PartialGz1 CFG: leaf3=R,leaf5=R,leaf7=R,spine1=R AUTHOR
Eitan Zahavi, Mellanox Technologies LTD, eitan@mellanox.co.il IBDM 1.0 2008-06-16 IBDM-TOPO-FILE(1)