Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking wokstation needs to either webserve or fileshare... Post 54146 by mistafeesh on Wednesday 4th of August 2004 05:45:49 AM
Old 08-04-2004
wokstation needs to either webserve or fileshare...

Hi guys 'n' gals. I have got myself into a state of confusion, and was wondering if you lot could help me out!

I have a G4 Mac OSX 10.3 computer which is my main workstation. Its not running especially fast, and I need to get it as freed up on resources as possible. I use the computer for a variety of graphics tasks - some of which are fairly intensive, but mostly I develop PHP/MySQL websites using Dreamweaver MX and BBedit. Obviously I need a webserver running to test these sites. And here the confusion begins:

I have three choices: I can

A. Run Apache, PHP and MySQL on the mac
B. Run them on a Linux box and fileshare from the Mac via NFS (My current setup)
C. Keep the files on the Linux Box and fileshare to the Mac (Dreamweaver didn't seem to like this very much when I tried it before - it slowed right down and kept hanging, but that was using SMB)

So, what's going to be least demanding on the Mac? Any ideas?

edit - and what's a wokstation anyway?!?!

Last edited by mistafeesh; 08-04-2004 at 06:52 AM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

samba fileshare across 2 diffrent workgroup

Hi im trying to configure samba on linux server so win client can access the shared files but my win client is on diffrent domain , we recently changed our domain name but not for certain servers... i guess the samba linux server is still part of our sub domain which is why i still can access... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
4 Replies

2. AIX

CIFS/SMB mount NetApp (Windows) fileshare

Hi guys, I'm trying to mount a windows share (hosted on a NetApp filer with clustered Ontap 8.3) and I have no luck doing it. This worked before when we used an old NetApp with Ontap 7.3. Seems there is an issue with ASCII/non-unicode support. I'm wondering if anybody here has mounted... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikedavis
7 Replies
PERLMACOS(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      PERLMACOS(1)

NAME
README.macos - Perl under Mac OS (Classic) SYNOPSIS
This document briefly describes perl under Mac OS (Classic). If you are running perl under Mac OS X, you don't want to be here (unless you are in the Classic environment under Mac OS X). When we say "Mac OS" below, we mean Mac OS 7, 8, and 9, and not Mac OS X. DESCRIPTION
The latest perl source itself builds on Mac OS, with some additional pieces. Support for Mac OS is now in the perl core, and MacPerl is kept in close sync with regular perl releases. To build perl for Mac OS (as an MPW tool), you will need the addition of the macos subdirectory, distributed separately. It includes extra source files, config files, and make files. It also includes extra Mac-specific modules. To build the MacPerl application, you will also need the macperl directory, which includes the source files for creating the application itself. All of this is available from the development site, via HTTP (in the MacPerl Installer, which includes all the source and binaries) and anonymous CVS. http://dev.macperl.org/ The source is also in the main perl repository in the macperl branch (the 5.6 source is in the maint-5.6/macperl branch). You will also need compilers and libraries, all of them freely available. These are linked to from the SourceForge site. Go that site for all things having to do with MacPerl development. MacPerl 5.6.1 and later are supported on Mac OS 8.1 and later, for 68040 and PowerPC architectures. The MPW tool may be used on Mac OS 7.5.5 and 68030 computers. MacPerl 5.2.0r4 is also available, on the CPAN and on SourceForge. It is based on perl 5.004, and works with Mac OS 7.5.5 and 68030 com- puters. AUTHOR
perl was ported to Mac OS by Matthias Neeracher <neeracher@mac.com>. It is currently maintained by Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com>. DATE
Last modified 2002.05.02. perl v5.8.9 2007-11-17 PERLMACOS(1)