Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Case sensitivity
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Case sensitivity Post 5413 by kapilv on Tuesday 14th of August 2001 02:10:22 PM
Old 08-14-2001
Hi

Well not in all the cases , but in case of unix commands you should go through the manual pages i.e man command_name to check whether there is a case insensitive support for that command for e.g the grep command which supports a case insensitive search by using the "i" option and also the vi editor which provides the case insensitive search by giving the :se ic.
SO hope this helps you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute

Hi I want to make string substitution ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute. Ex changing all occurences of "original" in a file to "substitute": original becomes substitute Origninal becomes Substitute ORIGINAL becomes SUBSTITUTE I know this a little special but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmchen
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to ignore CAPS or case sensitivity?

If I'm using a program that is expecting certain filenames and directories to be all CAPS, isn't there a way to ignore this in linux/cshell scripting? I.e., similiar to ignoring spaces with " (i.e., directory is directory 1, can ignore by typing "directory 1".) ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebazon
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about REGEX Patterns and Case Sensitivity?

Hello All, I'm in the middle of a script and I'm doing some checks with REGEX (i.e. using the '"shopt -s nocasematch" that at least the first one should print "FALSE" but it prints "TRUE"..? For Example: #!/bin/bash MY_VAR="HELLO" ### This prints "TRUE" PATTERN_1="^*" if ] then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

9. AIX

Errpt sensitivity to tape libraries

Hello all, Hoping someone can simply comment. I have numerous AIX servers attached to both physical and virtual tape libraries. errpt on these servers always seems to be generating error messages with respect to NICs and HBA's + other stuff. I'm being told this is normal because AIX is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
2 Replies
gnome-search-tool(1)					      General Commands Manual					      gnome-search-tool(1)

NAME
gnome-search-tool - the GNOME Search Tool SYNOPSIS
gnome-search-tool [options] or select Search for Files... from a Main Menu or from the Places menu in a Menu Bar DESCRIPTION
GNOME Search Tool is a utility for finding files on your system. To perform a basic search, you can type a filename or a partial filename, with or without wildcards. To refine your search, you can apply additional search options. GNOME Search Tool uses the find, grep, and locate UNIX commands. The case sensitivity of the search depends on your operating system. For example, on Linux, the find, grep, and locate commands support the -i option, so all searches are case-insensitive. For full documentation see the GNOME Search Tool online help. OPTIONS
--help Show help message --named=STRING Set the text of "Name contains" search option --path=PATH Set the text of "Look in folder" search option --sortby=VALUE Sort files by one of the following: name, folder, size, type, or date --descending Set sort order to descending, the default is ascending --start Automatically start a search --contains=STRING Select and set the "Contains the text" search option --mtimeless=DAYS Select and set the "Date modified less than" search option --mtimemore=DAYS Select and set the "Date modified more than" search option --sizemore=KILOBYTES Select and set the "Size at least" search option --sizeless=KILOBYTES Select and set the "Size at most" search option --empty Select the "File is empty" search option --user=USER Select and set the "Owned by user" search option --group=GROUP Select and set the "Owned by group" search option --nouser Select the "Owner is unrecognized" search option --notnamed=STRING Select and set the "Name does not contain" search option --regex=PATTERN Select and set the "Name matches regular expression" search option --hidden Select the "Show hidden and backup files" search option --follow Select the "Follow symbolic links" search option --mounts Select the "Exclude other filesystems" search option AUTHOR
GNOME Search Tool was originally written by George Lebl (<jirka@5z.com>). Version 2 was written by Dennis M. Cranston (<den- nis_cranston@yahoo.com>). This manual page was originally written by Jochen Voss <voss@mathematik.uni-kl.de>. Version 2 was written by Dennis M. Cranston (<den- nis_cranston@yahoo.com>). SEE ALSO
find(1), locate(1), grep(1) gnome-utils 2.27.1 March 16 2009 gnome-search-tool(1)