Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search using sed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search using sed Post 5404 by nicolas on Tuesday 14th of August 2001 10:21:16 AM
Old 08-14-2001
you can use

with sh shell

sed "s/.*\(your word description\).*$/\1/g" yourFile

but me for this job I prefer awk
this command count the presence of "your word"
awk -f 'param.awk' yourFile

where param.awk is the file :

if (/your word /)
{nligne = nligne + 1 }
END {print nlignes}' yourFile

but I 'm not sure

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace sed or tr

Hi folks, I need to search and replace specific text in a file and replace it. I have a text file that does not have any newlines or carriage returns. All newlines have been removed. Here is what I need to do. Find the exact string “DH” (quotes included) and replace it with \n”DH” (basically... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bridgeje
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed search and replace

Hello Folks, Anyone know how I can replace this line in file.xml <oacore_nprocs oa_var="s_oacore_nprocs">8</oacore_nprocs> with this line <oacore_nprocs oa_var="s_oacore_nprocs">1</oacore_nprocs> using sed or awk ? Thanks for your time. Cheers, Dave (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: d__browne
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED: Can't Repeat Search Character in SED Output

I'm not sure if the problem I'm seeing is an artifact of sed or simply a beginner's mistake. Here's the problem: I want to add a zero-width space following each underscore between XML tags. For example, if I had the following xml: <MY_BIG_TAG>This_is_a_test</MY_BIG_TAG> It should look like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhetoric101
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use 'sed' to search and replace?

Hello - I have a very large file in which a certain numbers are repeated. I find that using vi to edit the entire file is useless. How should i use sed to find a replace such as this text: To replace: 145.D25.D558 With: 215.22.45.DW I tried this command: sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - search and replace help.

Hi everyone, basically I am been cleaning data by using simple sed commands So what i have below has been working for me. sed 's/="//g' trade.csv > tradeb.csv sed 's/"//g' tradeb.csv > trade2.csv but now i don't want to remove all the quotes just the ones if i encounter this ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raz0r
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - search/copy from one file and search/paste to another

I am a newbie and would like some help with the following - Trying to search fileA for a string similar to - AS11000022010 30.4 31.7 43.7 53.8 60.5 71.1 75.2 74.7 66.9 56.6 42.7 32.5 53.3 I then want to replace that string with a string from fileB - ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search and wc

I have a file of the following >!#jjdjahfjdhfjkds aklsjdlkasdkashfjkdshfkjdsbfnbsdkjnfbdsk >*kfjhdsafjdshjfkhdsjkfhdsk wuyruiewyrieyueytireuytreyu >-jdfhsjsjkdhfd xzmncxzbvnmcxbvbcxn I would like to do a wc for the lines starting with > For the above example, the result is 3. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with search and replace using SED

Hi guys, thanks for accepting me in your forum .. I am trying to clean some hacked PHP files using SSH .. I am using this command: find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i '/god_mod/d' <?php ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisam74us
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -s does not search recursively

I would like to export the 5th line from every file within a directory. I am using GNU sed because we have no Unix or Linux environment. I used the following statement: sed -s -n 5p c:\directory\*.* but I only get the 5th line from one of the files in the directory. I am desperate for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hollingv
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed search

Hello, I know how to use sed for simple search but i need to search something like below in a file. From the below string, i need to find and replace only ./ with a $ using sed. ./abcd/str.xyz Thanks in advance KK (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pavan Kumar19
8 Replies
TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)													      TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)

NAME
trace-cmd-restore - restore a failed trace record SYNOPSIS
trace-cmd restore [OPTIONS] [command] cpu-file [cpu-file ...] DESCRIPTION
The trace-cmd(1) restore command will restore a crashed trace-cmd-record(1) file. If for some reason a trace-cmd record fails, it will leave a the per-cpu data files and not create the final trace.dat file. The trace-cmd restore will append the files to create a working trace.dat file that can be read with trace-cmd-report(1). When trace-cmd record runs, it spawns off a process per CPU and writes to a per cpu file usually called trace.dat.cpuX, where X represents the CPU number that it is tracing. If the -o option was used in the trace-cmd record, then the CPU data files will have that name instead of the trace.dat name. If a unexpected crash occurs before the tracing is finished, then the per CPU files will still exist but there will not be any trace.dat file to read from. trace-cmd restore will allow you to create a trace.dat file with the existing data files. OPTIONS
-c Create a partial trace.dat file from the machine, to be used with a full trace-cmd restore at another time. This option is useful for embedded devices. If a server contains the cpu files of a crashed trace-cmd record (or trace-cmd listen), trace-cmd restore can be executed on the embedded device with the -c option to get all the stored information of that embedded device. Then the file created could be copied to the server to run the trace-cmd restore there with the cpu files. If *-o* is not specified, then the file created will be called 'trace-partial.dat'. This is because the file is not a full version of something that trace-cmd-report(1) could use. -t tracing_dir Used with -c, it overrides the location to read the events from. By default, tracing information is read from the debugfs/tracing directory. -t will use that location instead. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just tar -cvf events.tar debugfs/tracing and copy and untar that file locally, and use that directory instead. -k kallsyms Used with -c, it overrides where to read the kallsyms file from. By default, /proc/kallsyms is used. -k will override the file to read the kallsyms from. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just copy the /proc/kallsyms file locally, and use -k to point to that file. -o output' By default, trace-cmd restore will create a trace.dat file (or trace-partial.dat if -c is specified). You can specify a different file to write to with the -o option. -i input By default, trace-cmd restore will read the information of the current system to create the initial data stored in the trace.dat file. If the crash was on another machine, then that machine should have the trace-cmd restore run with the -c option to create the trace.dat partial file. Then that file can be copied to the current machine where trace-cmd restore will use -i to load that file instead of reading from the current system. EXAMPLES
If a crash happened on another box, you could run: $ trace-cmd restore -c -o box-partial.dat Then on the server that has the cpu files: $ trace-cmd restore -i box-partial.dat trace.dat.cpu0 trace.dat.cpu1 This would create a trace.dat file for the embedded box. SEE ALSO
trace-cmd(1), trace-cmd-record(1), trace-cmd-report(1), trace-cmd-start(1), trace-cmd-stop(1), trace-cmd-extract(1), trace-cmd-reset(1), trace-cmd-split(1), trace-cmd-list(1), trace-cmd-listen(1) AUTHOR
Written by Steven Rostedt, <rostedt@goodmis.org[1]> RESOURCES
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git COPYING
Copyright (C) 2010 Red Hat, Inc. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). NOTES
1. rostedt@goodmis.org mailto:rostedt@goodmis.org 06/11/2014 TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)