Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tape Serial Number
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tape Serial Number Post 53576 by jorge.ferreira on Tuesday 20th of July 2004 05:29:42 AM
Old 07-20-2004
Data Tape Serial Number

Hello Experts,

I've got a shell script that makes the backup of the files that i want. I also have this script showing the amount of files backed up and in witch folders they are.
It's only missing one thing.

I got all the information beeing stored in a text file and all i've got to do is to see that file in the morning to see if all went well. The problem is that i may not know if the tapes are beeing changed daily as it is supposed to. So the trick is to know the tape serial number, because i use one tape for each day of the week.

How can i accomplish this?
Witch script can return me the serial number of the tape?

Thank you so much,

Jorge Ferreira

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

serial number for E3500

just wanted to know the serial number of my machine E3500 with Solaris 8 installed.Does any one who what's the command that i can use when the OS is running?( not with the Banner Command!) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
3 Replies

2. AIX

how to find serial number

hi how to find ( server machine )serial number throught the command in AIX thanks for your replay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chomca
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Server Serial Number from Solaris

This may be an off the wall question but is there anyway in Solaris to snag the serial number of a Sun box? I'm not sure if you can do this but it would save me a long drive to the data center to get the serial number to renew support... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Display Serial Number

Hello, I am running Solaris 9 and I need to display the serial number of my machine. How can I do this? Here is my machine info: SunOS birch 5.9 Generic_118558-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 Thank you, David (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Serial number

Hi Solarizer ;) I have face the difficulties of gathering information about the serial number of sun machine. i think its can do so easy while the machine is just one or two. But i have to administrate hundreds of sun machine. Any body knows how to gather this information by the command ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpx99
4 Replies

6. Solaris

[help] how to get serial number of cpu or other hardware

hi experts, hi all, need help, how to get serial number of cpu or other hardware using command? does anybody know using what syntax? thank you wu (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
8 Replies

7. Linux

Device serial number

Hey! I'm trying to figure out a sollution for a problem I have at my company with an Iomega MiniMax 500 GB USB disk. If i run cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I get this information: T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=04 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 5 Spd=480 MxCh= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Anyone know how to get Serial number with 1 command?

Solaris8 Anyone help? (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
27 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about bind serial number

Hello folks. Please let me understand the bind serial number. I am confuse. 13011321 ---------- Post updated at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:55 AM ---------- Thanks problem is solved. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learnbash
1 Replies
DUMP(1M)																  DUMP(1M)

NAME
dump - incremental file system dump SYNOPSIS
dump [ key [ argument ... ] filesystem ] DESCRIPTION
Dump copies to magnetic tape all files changed after a certain date in the filesystem. The key specifies the date and other options about the dump. Key consists of characters from the set 0123456789fusd. f Place the dump on the next argument file instead of the tape. u If the dump completes successfully, write the date of the beginning of the dump on file `/etc/ddate'. This file records a separate date for each filesystem and each dump level. 0-9 This number is the `dump level'. All files modified since the last date stored in the file `/etc/ddate' for the same filesystem at lesser levels will be dumped. If no date is determined by the level, the beginning of time is assumed; thus the option 0 causes the entire filesystem to be dumped. s The size of the dump tape is specified in feet. The number of feet is taken from the next argument. When the specified size is reached, the dump will wait for reels to be changed. The default size is 2300 feet. d The density of the tape, expressed in BPI, is taken from the next argument. This is used in calculating the amount of tape used per write. The default is 1600. If no arguments are given, the key is assumed to be 9u and a default file system is dumped to the default tape. Now a short suggestion on how perform dumps. Start with a full level 0 dump dump 0u Next, periodic level 9 dumps should be made on an exponential progression of tapes. (Sometimes called Tower of Hanoi - 1 2 1 3 1 2 1 4 ... tape 1 used every other time, tape 2 used every fourth, tape 3 used every eighth, etc.) dump 9u When the level 9 incremental approaches a full tape (about 78000 blocks at 1600 BPI blocked 20), a level 1 dump should be made. dump 1u After this, the exponential series should progress as uninterrupted. These level 9 dumps are based on the level 1 dump which is based on the level 0 full dump. This progression of levels of dump can be carried as far as desired. FILES
default filesystem and tape vary with installation. /etc/ddate: record dump dates of filesystem/level. SEE ALSO
restor(1), dump(5), dumpdir(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If the dump requires more than one tape, it will ask you to change tapes. Reply with a new-line when this has been done. BUGS
Sizes are based on 1600 BPI blocked tape. The raw magtape device has to be used to approach these densities. Read errors on the filesys- tem are ignored. Write errors on the magtape are usually fatal. DUMP(1M)