Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: backslash issues
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers backslash issues Post 53254 by Bab00shka on Friday 9th of July 2004 04:34:23 AM
Old 07-09-2004
Hi,

The input file I use is slightly different and similar to the following:

field1,field2,field3,C:\\path\\to\\first\\windows\\file,field5
field1,field2,field3,C:\\path\\to\\second\\windows\\file,field5

The script is similar to this:

#!/bin/sh

while read var
do

dir=`echo $var | cut -d , -f 4`
echo $dir

done < files.txt

exit 0

When running it i get:

$test.sh
C:\path o
irst\windows
ile
C:\path o\second\windows
ile
$

Thanks for your help
Helen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backslash in find command

When I run my script in debug mode I see that \ is not getting executed as part of command. It is being treated as escape character. find ${DATABASE_PARAM_PATH} -mtime +${RETENTION_PERIOD} -exec rm -rf {} \; Command execution output in debug mode : find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: findprakash
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping backslash

I have a variable containt something like this, c:\mask\mask. How can I escape "\" in the values? I want the value as it it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swmk
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

double backslash in ksh

Hi I need the "\\hello" (without double quotes) to be written to a file. echo "\\\\hello" >file is working under bash shell but not working under ksh shell (gives only one / in the output) Please advise. TIA Prvn (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use backslash and variables in sed

I have a line that contains backslashes in which I want sed to substitute text with variables. The line; \\s008\2033330user$ I want to change this in \\s008.ourschool.com\2033330user$ I now use this script: USER=2033330user sed 's/\\'"$USER"'/.ourschool.com\\'"$USER/" This doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tubbie
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

./configure backslash questions

Hello all. I am going to try my hand at compiling tarballs rather than installing packages. I have a pretty good understanding of the process and have even compiled/installed Top from source. But that was an easy install, I want to try something more complex using the various configure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertSubnet
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo backslash

If I echo "\\" I get a backslash returned ~$ echo "\\" \ Why doesn't this work: string=`echo "\\"` echo $string I get the error message: bash: command substitution: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"' bash: command substitution: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird behavior of backslash, please help!!

Hi I am getting absurd behavior of escape character in echos as followed:oinlcso003{arsadm} #: echo "\as shdd" \as shdd oinlcso003{arsadm} #: echo "Well, isn't that \"special\"?" Well, isn't that "special"? oinlcso003{arsadm} #: echo "Well, isn't that \special\?" Well, isn't that \special\?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep for a backslash question

Why does this work when grepping for a backslash? grep '\\' .bash_history grep "" .bash_historyWhy does this not work when grepping for a backslash? grep "\\" .bash_historyI know this works works but just don't understand why I need 4 backslashes when using double quotes. grep "\\\\"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Disappearing backslash

Let's say I have a text file called process.out that contains: cn=long\, ann,cn=users cn=doe\, john,cn=users I need to have the following appended in the beginning ldapdelete -h $OIDHOST So the final output looks like: ldapdelete -h $OIDHOST "cn=long\, ann,cn=users" ldapdelete -h... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not to Escape Backslash in script

Hello Folks, I am looking for a bash script which check the ftp server connection status and transfer success/failure also final stage is like if the transfer/connection failed, i should get an email. First stage - checking for login success or not #!/bin/bash HOST='your.ftp.site'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
3 Replies
Tcl_AllowExceptions(3tcl)				      Tcl Library Procedures					 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_AllowExceptions - allow all exceptions in next script evaluation SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_AllowExceptions(interp) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which script will be evaluated. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If a script is evaluated at top-level (i.e. no other scripts are pending evaluation when the script is invoked), and if the script termi- nates with a completion code other than TCL_OK, TCL_ERROR or TCL_RETURN, then Tcl normally converts this into a TCL_ERROR return with an appropriate message. The particular script evaluation procedures of Tcl that act in the manner are Tcl_EvalObjEx, Tcl_EvalObjv, Tcl_Eval, Tcl_EvalEx, Tcl_GlobalEval, Tcl_GlobalEvalObj, Tcl_VarEval and Tcl_VarEvalVA. However, if Tcl_AllowExceptions is invoked immediately before calling one of those a procedures, then arbitrary completion codes are per- mitted from the script, and they are returned without modification. This is useful in cases where the caller can deal with exceptions such as TCL_BREAK or TCL_CONTINUE in a meaningful way. KEYWORDS
continue, break, exception, interpreter Tcl 7.4 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3tcl)