Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cron Script Q
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cron Script Q Post 53140 by Perderabo on Tuesday 6th of July 2004 09:35:01 PM
Old 07-06-2004
See this thread for an opposing view.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron + Script = No Output?

I've got an *extremely* simple script I want to run every minute: #!/bin/sh ping -c 1 192.168.1.20 > ~/onlinestatus.txt So, the script is called "status", it's executable, and in the correct path, etc. In a terminal window (I'm using Mac OS X), I can type status, and it will create... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmf77
4 Replies

2. AIX

problem with a script and the cron

hello I use a script to give me the number of users, at each hour. this script read a file where there is the number of users for each hour and for each month (so 12 files per year). If i execute the script (root), it is ok, i have xxx users for each hour. if I put the script in the cron... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not working in CRON

guys i have written a very simple script .it runs manually well. but when i put it in cron,it doesn't give the desired output. script looks like this: #! /usr/bin/sh #script for loading data in table using ctl file/Abhijeet K/08.07.2006 /svm_wl1/. .profile cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Need to cron the script

I want to cron one script which should run every second Thursday (in general Nth occurence of any day) of every month. I am not getting the exact idea of doing this; Please guide. Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaiankur
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron?

Good morning. I am searching for "how-to"'s for some particular questions: 1. How to write a script in HP-UX 11. 2. How to schedule a script. 3. How to "call" scripts from the original script. 4. How to su to another user from within a script. This is the basics of what the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
15 Replies

6. Solaris

Script for cron

Dear All, I have an assignment about collecting /var/adm/messages on each server running Solaris 9. All these servers will be installed with a script that collect all the messages in cron. All the messages will be collected by a single server. I have a script to collect all the messages, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankoko
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron a script

This has to be the ultimate newbie question... I have a script that works well. To run it, I cut and paste it into a putty session. Is there a way to put the script into a file and just run that file -- like a DOS batch file? I'd like to schedule the file to run daily. Thanks,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution problem with Cron: Script works manually but not w/Cron. Why?

Hello gurus, I am making what I think is a simple db2 call from within a shell script but I am having difficulty producing the desired report when I run the script shown below from a shell script in cron. For example, my script and the crontab file setup is shown below: #!/bin/ksh db2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: okonita
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in cron

I have a script that require input from terminal at some point (either a,b or c) How can I cron the script and automatically assume c as the input. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that will look the same as Cron

Hi All,. need your expertise, is there a way to create a script that will run with specific time without using cron. because i dont have access in cron. TIA (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
19 Replies
env(1)								   User Commands							    env(1)

NAME
env - set environment for command invocation SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/env [-i | -] [name=value]... [utility [arg... ]] /usr/xpg4/bin/env [-i | -] [name=value]... [utility [arg... ]] DESCRIPTION
The env utility obtains the current environment, modifies it according to its arguments, then invokes the utility named by the utility op- erand with the modified environment. Optional arguments are passed to utility. If no utility operand is specified, the resulting environment is written to the standard output, with one name=value pair per line. /usr/bin If env executes commands with arguments, it uses the default shell /usr/bin/sh (see sh(1)). /usr/xpg4/bin If env executes commands with arguments, it uses /usr/xpg4/bin/sh (see ksh(1)). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i | - Ignores the environment that would otherwise be inherited from the current shell. Restricts the environment for utility to that specified by the arguments. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: name=value Arguments of the form name=value modify the execution environment, and are placed into the inherited environment before utility is invoked. utility The name of the utility to be invoked. If utility names any of the special shell built-in utilities, the results are unde- fined. arg A string to pass as an argument for the invoked utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Invoking utilities with new PATH values The following utility: example% env -i PATH=/mybin mygrep xyz myfile invokes the utility mygrep with a new PATH value as the only entry in its environment. In this case, PATH is used to locate mygrep, which then must reside in /mybin. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of env: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. PATH Determine the location of the utility. If PATH is specified as a name=value operand to env, the value given shall be used in the search for utility. EXIT STATUS
If utility is invoked, the exit status of env is the exit status of utility. Otherwise, the env utility returns one of the following exit values: 0 Successful completion. 1-125 An error occurred. 126 utility was found but could not be invoked. 127 utility could not be found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), exec(2), profile(4), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Jan 2002 env(1)