Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What exactly is Stock Bit (t) Post 5312 by Optimus_P on Friday 10th of August 2001 10:38:37 AM
Old 08-10-2001
What exactly is Sticky Bit (t)

(yes i read the man page for chmod) and i did a basic search on the web.

but it never really went into any info on it.

the reason i ask is. when my systems receaves an email @ at certer user it has a specific mailer specified and that mailer writes stuff to /tmp well the orig. perms were rwxrwxrwt but i had changed it to 777 and i keept getting errors when i sent it mail. Can someone please explaine what the sticky bit is for?

Last edited by Optimus_P; 08-10-2001 at 04:09 PM..

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle 64 bit arithmetic operation at 32 bit compiled perl interpreter?H

Hi, Here is the issue. From the program snippet I have Base: 0x1800000000, Size: 0x3FFE7FFFFFFFF which are of 40 and 56 bits. SO I used use bignum to do the math but summing them up I always failed having correct result. perl interpreter info, perl, v5.8.8 built for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Which version of Windows Vista to install with a product key? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello everyone. I bought a dell laptop (XPS M1330) online which came without a hard drive. There is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEMAct sticker with product key at the bottom case. I checked dell website (here) for this model and it says this model supports both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies
MAILSTATS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      MAILSTATS(8)

NAME
mailstats - display mail statistics SYNOPSIS
mailstats [-c] [-o] [-p] [-P] [-C cffile] [-f stfile] DESCRIPTION
The mailstats utility displays the current mail statistics. First, the time at which statistics started being kept is displayed, in the format specified by ctime(3). Then, the statistics for each mailer are displayed on a single line, each with the following white space separated fields: M The mailer number. msgsfr Number of messages from the mailer. bytes_from Kbytes from the mailer. msgsto Number of messages to the mailer. bytes_to Kbytes to the mailer. msgsrej Number of messages rejected. msgsdis Number of messages discarded. Mailer The name of the mailer. After this display, a line totaling the values for all of the mailers is displayed (preceded with a ``T''), separated from the previous information by a line containing only equals (``='') characters. Another line preceded with a ``C'' lists the number of TCP connections. The options are as follows: -C Read the specified file instead of the default sendmail configuration file. -c Try to use submit.cf instead of the default sendmail configuration file. -f Read the specified statistics file instead of the statistics file specified in the sendmail configuration file. -P Output information in program-readable mode without clearing statistics. -p Output information in program-readable mode and clear statistics. -o Don't display the name of the mailer in the output. The mailstats utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf The default sendmail configuration file. /etc/mail/statistics The default sendmail statistics file. SEE ALSO
mailq(1), sendmail(8) $Date: 2002/09/26 23:03:39 $ MAILSTATS(8)