Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rsync problem - space character in filename Post 53073 by chief2 on Sunday 4th of July 2004 09:48:24 PM
Old 07-04-2004
Thanks dkaplowitz for your reply, here is the command I am executing.

Code:
/usr/local/bin/rsync -rz --delete-excluded --delete-after --include=subdir/ --exclude-from=/mnt/hosting/website/utility/mirror/excludeAll_CO.txt /mnt/hosting/website/SAB/ /mnt/hosting/website/data/SAB/sub/

Cheers.

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 12-10-2010 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filename that starts with a space

I accidentally started a filename with a spce and I can not get rid of it. Any words of advice? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: noobie_doo
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename character changes

I want to make a script for change filename's character not in English for a given directory. But I am not sure where am I starting from due to I am a little bit new user for scripts. At least is there anybody can help me to make first step ,how can I find illegal or unwanted characters in file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display last 8 character of filename

I would like to display the last 8 characters of the filenames for filenames of different lengths. I can delete the last 8 characters with sed but dont know how to only show the last 8 characters. The filenames are something like; afxH340800340000 afxH30800340021 afxR3080034002122 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beanz
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last character from filename

Hi All, I have different type of file (.txt,.csv,.xml) format in my current directory. My requirement is that I need to remove the last character from the file format. Example count.txt$ csp_rules.csv^ Date.xml~ Need Output: count.txt csp_rules.csv Date.xml How to do that?.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filename with white space

our user creates a text file with a white space on the filename. this same file is transfered to unix via automation tool. i have a korn shell script that reads these files on a input directory and connects to oracle database to run the oracle procedures which will load the data from each of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed- Replace space in filename by a \

`echo $file | sed 's/ / /g'` Hey guys I want help in converting the spaces in my file names to '\ ' . Example: UK maps --> UK\ maps Could someone please help me. I have tried the following sequences already (none of them work): 1)s/ /\ /g 2)s/ /\\ /g 3)s/ /\\\ /g Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: INNSAV1
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

^M special character in Filename

Hi All, Special character ? is added in between filename. Am not able to figure our why this is happening. In my Development environment special characters are not present. This issue is happening in the higher environment. It would be helpful if somebody can tell what are the possible... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space in input filename with pipe

Hello, Normally below script works, could you please comment out what could be the reason of failure if there are spaces in input filename: script.sh #!/bin/bash cd /home/hts/.hts/tvh/ file="$1 $2 $3 $4" read -d $'\x04' name < "$file" /usr/bin/ffmpeg -i ""$name"" -vcodec copy -preset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baris35
1 Replies
chroot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 chroot(8)

NAME
chroot - Changes the root directory of a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot directory command DESCRIPTION
Only root can use the chroot command. The chroot command changes the root directory from / to the specified directory when the command executes. (The command specified includes both the command name as well as any arguments.) Consequently, the root of any path (as indicated by the first / (slash) in the pathname) changes to directory and is always relative to the current root. Even if the chroot command is in effect, directory is relative to the current root of the running process. Several programs may not operate properly after chroot executes. You must ensure that all vital files are present in the new root file system and the relevant pathnames for the files map correctly in the new root file system. For example, the ls -l command fails to give user and group names if the new root file system does not have a copy of the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. If the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files in the new root file system represent different user and group names, then the output from the ls -l command will be based on those names, not the ones for the system's own name database. Utilities that depend on description files produced by the ctab command may also fail if the required description files are not present in the new root file system. The chroot program uses the execv() function to invoke the specified command. As a consequence, the command specified must be an exe- cutable binary, not a shell script. Further, if the program requires indirect loading (for example, due to unresolved symbols requiring use of a shared library), then /sbin/loader as well as any files it requires (for example, shared libraries) must be present in the new root file system in the appropriate locations. EXAMPLES
To run a subshell with another file system as the root, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /sbin/sh The command shown in the previous example spec- ifies a change from the current root file system to the one mounted on /mnt/dsk13a while /sbin/sh (which itself is relative to the new root file system) executes. When /bin/sh executes, the original root file system is inaccessible. The file system mounted on /mnt/dsk13a must contain the standard directories of a root file system. In particular, the shell looks for commands in /sbin, /bin, and /usr/bin (among others) on the new root file system. Running the /sbin/sh command creates a subshell that runs as a separate process from the original shell. Press to exit the subshell and return to the original shell. This restores the environment of the original shell, including the meanings of the current directory (.) and the root directory (/). To run a command in another root file system and save the output on the initial root file system, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /bin/cc -E /u/bob/prog.c > prep.out The previous command runs the /bin/cc command with /mnt/dsk13a as the specified root file system. It compiles the /mnt/dsk13a/u/bob/prog.c file, reads the #include files from the /mnt/dsk13a/usr/include directory, and puts the compiled text in the prep.out file on the initial root file system. To create a file relative to the original root rather than the new one, use this syntax and enter: chroot directory command > file CAUTIONS
If special files in the new root have different major and minor device numbers than the initial root directory, it is possible to overwrite the file system. FILES
Specifies the command path. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cc(1), cpp(1), ls(1), sh(1) Functions: chdir(2), chroot(2) exec(2) delim off chroot(8)