Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rsync problem - space character in filename Post 53068 by dkaplowitz on Sunday 4th of July 2004 09:06:37 AM
Old 07-04-2004
Can you post the command you're running to rsync these files? (And I'm assuming you're using rsync on FreeBSD and not one on Cygwin on Windows or something, but if I'm wrong post that too). I personally haven't encountered this problem using rsync from one type of UNIX box to another, so, assuming you're not using some strange switch, I'm wondering if there's some other problem causing this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filename that starts with a space

I accidentally started a filename with a spce and I can not get rid of it. Any words of advice? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: noobie_doo
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename character changes

I want to make a script for change filename's character not in English for a given directory. But I am not sure where am I starting from due to I am a little bit new user for scripts. At least is there anybody can help me to make first step ,how can I find illegal or unwanted characters in file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display last 8 character of filename

I would like to display the last 8 characters of the filenames for filenames of different lengths. I can delete the last 8 characters with sed but dont know how to only show the last 8 characters. The filenames are something like; afxH340800340000 afxH30800340021 afxR3080034002122 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beanz
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last character from filename

Hi All, I have different type of file (.txt,.csv,.xml) format in my current directory. My requirement is that I need to remove the last character from the file format. Example count.txt$ csp_rules.csv^ Date.xml~ Need Output: count.txt csp_rules.csv Date.xml How to do that?.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filename with white space

our user creates a text file with a white space on the filename. this same file is transfered to unix via automation tool. i have a korn shell script that reads these files on a input directory and connects to oracle database to run the oracle procedures which will load the data from each of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed- Replace space in filename by a \

`echo $file | sed 's/ / /g'` Hey guys I want help in converting the spaces in my file names to '\ ' . Example: UK maps --> UK\ maps Could someone please help me. I have tried the following sequences already (none of them work): 1)s/ /\ /g 2)s/ /\\ /g 3)s/ /\\\ /g Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: INNSAV1
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

^M special character in Filename

Hi All, Special character ? is added in between filename. Am not able to figure our why this is happening. In my Development environment special characters are not present. This issue is happening in the higher environment. It would be helpful if somebody can tell what are the possible... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space in input filename with pipe

Hello, Normally below script works, could you please comment out what could be the reason of failure if there are spaces in input filename: script.sh #!/bin/bash cd /home/hts/.hts/tvh/ file="$1 $2 $3 $4" read -d $'\x04' name < "$file" /usr/bin/ffmpeg -i ""$name"" -vcodec copy -preset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baris35
1 Replies
MRB(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    MRB(8)

NAME
mrb - manage incremental snapshots with rsync/make. SYNOPSIS
mrb command DESCRIPTION
mrb is a simple aid to creating efficient incremental snapshots of a set, or sets, of directories whenever that may be required. It may be used as part of a regular automated backup regime, or for manually checkpointing changes at convenient points in time. COMMANDS
The following commands are recognised (where 'MODULE' is the name of one of your snapshot definitions): new-MODULE Create a skeleton definition for a new snapshot 'MODULE'. dest-MODULE Create the destination dir for 'MODULE'. This directory must exist to create a snapshot. snap-MODULE Create a snapshot of 'MODULE'. sync Create snapshots of all defined modules. If run as root this may be configured to include the modules of other users too (see MRB_SYNC_USERS in ~/.mrb/defaults). help Show mrb's own help text. CONFIGURATION FILES
Per-user configuration The following files may be used to specify global and local configuration options. /etc/default/mrb system default configuration. ~/.mrb/defaults per-user configuration. Per-user options The following options control behaviour for all of a user's modules. MRB_SNAPSHOT_LOG An optional file path where transfer details will be recorded. If unset these details will not be logged. MRB_SYNC_USERS A space separated list of users whose modules should be included in a sync. This is mostly only useful for root, as mrb will assume the identity of each user before creating snapshots of their modules. If unset, only the invoking user's modules will be sync'ed. MRB_CONFDIR An space separated list of the directories to search for module definition (*.mrc) files. They will be searched in the order given, with new modules added by default to the last one listed. There should be few reasons to change the default value. Per-module configuration The default MRB_CONFDIR value will search for module definitions in: /etc/mrb/*.mrc ~/.mrb/*.mrc Those created by new-MODULE will be placed in this latter location by default. Per-module options In each case module below is the name of the particular module that the value set should apply to. These options should be defined in a file named module.mrc. module_SRC A space separated list of the files and (top level) directories to include in the snapshots for this module. module_DEST The directory root where snapshots of module should be stored. module_INCLUDE An optional list of rsync(1) include patterns. module_EXCLUDE An optional list of rsync(1) exclude patterns. module_FILTER An optional list of rsync(1) filter patterns. module_FILTER_FILE An optional filename for rsync(1) dir-merge filtering support. module_RSYNC_OPTIONS Optional additional rsync(1) options to pass verbatim when it is invoked. module_PRECOMMAND An optional shell command to invoke just prior to creating a new snapshot. If the command does not return a successful exit status, then the snapshot creation will be aborted before it begins. It may be used to mount removable media or similar. module_POSTCOMMAND An optional shell command to execute after making the snapshot. It will not be called if the snaphot creation failed at an earlier stage, and its return status may halt a sync operation if it fails with more modules still to process. It may be used, for example, to unmount removable media again. module_USER An optional user name to check that mrb is running as before performing a snapshot. This can be used to ensure you have the correct permisson to access the files being mirrored before you get too far. SEE ALSO
rsync(1), make(1). AUTHOR
mrb was written by Ron <ron@debian.org>. May 9, 2006 MRB(8)