Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Variable Reference and Substitution Post 52999 by mugsymark on Thursday 1st of July 2004 04:57:13 PM
Old 07-01-2004
Network Unix Variable Reference and Substitution

I can't seem to make what appears to be a simple substitution.

I want to define a list of systems for which daily reports need to be filed

systems="systemA systemC systemZ"

I then want to run a loop

for i in ${systems}

Analyze statistics
Create the reports

mailx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reference a variable within sed?

Hi all, How can I use sed to perform a substitution if the string that I'm going to substitute is stored in a variable: Let's say: sed 's/abcdefg/good' VS tmp="abcdefg" sed 's/$tmp/good' The second case doesn't work. Guess it's due to the single quotes on the outside. How can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reference Variable

Hi! I need to determin the most efficient way to do something (rather simple, I thought). I'm currently echo(ing) a series of menu options, and reading the command input as the number associated with the entry. What I need to do is when the option 1 is selected, that it references a list and... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchaloux
18 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array reference - bad substitution

I've created a series of arrays named as follows: row1 row2 row3 . . . row10 Each has 4 elements. I'm trying to echo the array elements out in a for loop. Here's what I have: for ((i=1;i<=10;i++)) do for ((j=1;j<=4;j++)) do eval out=${row`echo $i`} echo -n $out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swankgd
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Substitution

Hi , I have a variable as follows, Temp=`cat ABC.txt | cut -c5-` This will yeild a part of the date. say , 200912. I would like to substitute this variable's value in a filename. eg: File200912F.zip when i say File$TempF.zip , it is not substituting. Any help ? Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

subsequently reference variable

Hello, This is not homework. It is a question that I received on a recent interview for a linux position. Can someone shed some light on the right answer? I got it wrong. Thanks, jaysunn (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Reference external variable name dynamically

Hi there, I have included an external properties file into my BASH script via the 'source' command. I am attempting to dynamically assign a variable in the BASH script, that references the variable name within the external properties file i.e. #!/bin/bash pth=${0%/*} source... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjwoodford
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: accessing reference to variable inside hash.

Below is hash which contains reference to variables: my %mandatoryFields = ( 1 => \$msgtype, 2 => \$switchtype, 3 => \$card_nbr, 4 => \$natv_tran_type_code, 5 => \$amt_1 ); This... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl de-reference code reference variable

Guys, May i know how can we de reference the code reference variable.? my $a = sub{$a=shift;$b=shift;print "SUM:",($a+$b),"\n";}; print $a->(4,5); How can we print the whole function ? Please suggest me regarding this. Thanks for your time :) Cheers, Ranga :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
0 Replies
SA2(8)								Linux User's Manual							    SA2(8)

NAME
sa2 - Write a daily report in the /var/log/sa directory. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sa2 DESCRIPTION
The sa2 command is a shell procedure variant of the sar command which writes a daily report in the /var/log/sa/sardd file, where the dd parameter indicates the current day. The sa2 command handles all of the flags and parameters of the sar command. The sa2 command is designed to be started automatically by the cron command. EXAMPLES
To run the sa2 command daily, place the following entry in your root or adm crontab file: 5 19 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -A & This will generate a daily report called /var/log/sa/sardd It will also remove reports more than one week old. FILES
/var/log/sa/sardd Indicate the daily report file, where the dd parameter is a number representing the day of the month. AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard <sebastien.godard@wanadoo.fr> SEE ALSO
sar(1), sadc(8), sa1(8), mpstat(1), iostat(1), vmstat(8) http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux DECEMBER 1999 SA2(8)