Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK print a character many times Post 52933 by dbrundrett on Wednesday 30th of June 2004 07:20:40 AM
Old 06-30-2004
Network AWK print a character many times

How can I print a '-' on the same line within awk, say 50 times, without actually typing '-' 50 times?

Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting the number of times a character appears

I am looking for a bash command that counts the number of times a character appears in a file. For example "I am a newbie, trying to learn shell script". Then the command counts the number of e and gives them as 4. Also I want one that counts the number of times a character in a string is replaced.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: #moveon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace, insert n times a specific character

How can using Vim, replace one character with another repeating it 10 times? Ex.: Transforming this: 125A986 That: 125##########986 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: IJNeves
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you print a single quote character in AWK

How do you print out a single quote character in AWK? Using the escape character does not seem to work. {printf "%1$s %2$s%3$s%2$s\n" , "INCLUDE", " \' ", "THIS" } does not work. Any suggestions? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Print Line If Specific Character Is Matched

Hello, I have a file as such: FFFFFFF6C000000 225280 225240 - - rwxs- FFFFFFFF79C00000 3240 3240 - - rwxs- FFFFFFFF7A000000 4096 4096 - - rwxs- FFFFFFFF7A400000 64 64 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PointyWombat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/SED print if 2nd character in a column is greater than 0

We have an access log where column 8 displays the time in seconds like below: Tj8nQAoNgwsAABov9cIAAAFL - 10.13.131.80 - - (0) - "GET /aaaaa/bbbb/bbbb where column 8 is printed (0). We are trying to find how many entries are there that has column 8 greater than 0. Remember $8 is (0) and not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacemtn5
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[AWK script]Counting the character in record and print them in condition

.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Antonlee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline 8 times and if $3 = 8 when subtracted from 1st line,print

I have kind of a strange one here. I have a file of consecutive /24 ip blocks. If there are 8 consecutive ip blocks which represent a /20 then I need to print the first line. I played around and did not get the results I need, especially when considering that the highest $3 will be is 255 and then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a particular character n number of times in a line??

hi, Is it possible to print a particular character n number of times in a line? for example. i am print the following line using echo command.. echo "files successfully moved" i want to count the number of characters that are been displayed. i am doin it using echo "files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed to print the character from the previous line after the regexp match

Hi All, I need to print the characters in the previous line just before the regular expression match Please have a look at the input file as attached I need to match the regular expression ^ with the character of the previous like and also the pin numbers and the output file should be like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)