Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: what is SAN
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is SAN Post 52900 by Perderabo on Tuesday 29th of June 2004 12:20:57 PM
Old 06-29-2004
keelba, you have it all mixed up. SAN and NAS have nothing to do with each other except perhaps to be competitors.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

San:

hi We have 2 AIX nodes running with HACMP and all of them connected to SAN, Our shared storage is shark; I need to create shared volume group and I need the HACMP take a ware of it. Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h2aix
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Thoughts/experiences of SAN attaching V880 to EMC SAN

Hi everyone, I wonder if I can canvas any opinions or thoughts (good or bad) on SAN attaching a SUN V880/490 to an EMC Clarion SAN? At the moment the 880 is using 12 internal FC-AL disks as a db server and seems to be doing a pretty good job. It is not I/O, CPU or Memory constrained and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: si_linux
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris and SAN

Hi, How can we differentiate a SAN disk with a Solaris local disk? Please respond. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu_solaris
4 Replies

4. AIX

SAN error

Dera all I have error repeating for two day, when I checked the error log by errpt command: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LABEL: SC_DISK_ERR2 IDENTIFIER: 79B0DF89 Date/Time: Wed Oct 31 02:41:36 SAUS Sequence Number: 9000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

5. Linux

Linux on SAN

Hello everyone. I was wondering if there is a way to increase the size on the LUN on a SAN and make the Linux kernel understand the changes without restarting? In the past it has always been rebooted to see the new values but im sure that there is a way now for the lvm to see the Free PE in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_ark
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Booting off of a SAN

Hello, I'm posting this in the "Unix for Dummies" forum, since it is more of a theoretical question than an exact problem/fix I'm inquiring about. I have a SunFire T2000 server with 4 internal hard drives, running Solaris 10. (So far so good :) The company just purchased a large EMC SAN. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
5 Replies

7. AIX

New to San Storage

Can anyone recommend a good book on san storage basics and how it communicates with an AIX server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
1 Replies

8. AIX

IBM SAN TO SAN Mirroring

Has anyone tried SAN to SAN mirroring on IBM DS SAN Storage. DS5020 mentions Enhanced Remote Mirror to multi-LUN applications I wonder if Oracle High availibility can be setup using Remote Mirror option of SAN ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

9. AIX

SAN Migration

Hi all, We are migrating our SAN storage from HSV360 to 3PAR. The system runs aix 6.1 version with HACMP. Please let me know what are requirements from OS side and how are the data copied to the new disks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
10 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Faster way: SAN hd to SAN hd copying

hi! i got a rhel 6.3 host that already have an xfs filesystem mounted from a SAN (let's call it SAN-1) whose size is 9TB. i will be receiving another SAN (let's call it SAN-2) storage of 15TB size. this new addition is physically on another SAN storage. SAN-1 is on a Pillar storage while the new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rino19ny
6 Replies
scconf_quorum_dev_netapp_nas(1M)			  System Administration Commands			  scconf_quorum_dev_netapp_nas(1M)

NAME
scconf_quorum_dev_netapp_nas - add and remove shared Network Appliance network-attached storage (NAS) quorum devices and change various NAS cluster quorum configuration properties or states. SYNOPSIS
scconf {-a|-c|-r} -q name=devicename otheroptions DESCRIPTION
Note - Beginning with the Sun Cluster 3.2 release, Sun Cluster software includes an object-oriented command set. Although Sun Cluster software still supports the original command set, Sun Cluster procedural documentation uses only the object-oriented command set. For more infor- mation about the object-oriented command set, see the Intro(1CL) man page. A Network Appliance NAS device can be configured as a quorum device for Sun Cluster. The NAS configuration information consists of: o a device name, which must be unique across quorum devices o a filer name, which defaults to the device name if not specified o a LUN ID, which defaults to 0 if not specified To provide support for NAS devices as quorum devices, the administrator must install the quorum device support module provided by Network Appliance. If this module is not available, scconfprevents the addition of the quorum device. See Sun Cluster With Network-Attached Storage Devices Manual for Solaris OS for instructions about obtaining the support module. Additionally, the iSCSI license must be valid for the Network Appliance device. OPTIONS
The following options can be used for NAS quorum devices. See scconf(1M) for the list of supported generic options. See scconf_quo- rum_dev_netapp_nas(1M) for options that are specific to shared disk quorum devices. The add and remove forms of the command are used to add and remove NAS quorum devices to or from the configuration. The change form of the command is used for changing various properties of cluster quorum configuration. Before you add a quorum device, you must set up and configure the device and the logical unit number (LUN) on the device to be configured as a quorum device. For detailed procedures, see your Network Appliance documentation. For Sun Cluster requirements of device setup, see Sun Cluster With Network-Attached Storage Devices Manual for Solaris OS. After the quorum device is added, you cannot change the type. Add a NAS quorum device: -q -a name=devicename,type=netapp_nas[,filer=filer-name][,lun_id=0] Change a NAS quorum device's configuration: -q -c name=devicename,{maintstate | reset} Remove a NAS quorum device: -q -r name=devicename The -q option supports the following Network Appliance NAS-specific suboptions: filer=filer-name Specifies the name of the device on the network that you can use to access the NAS device when you are using rsh or telnet. lun_id=0 Specifies the LUN ID on the NAS device that will be a NAS quorum device. The LUN ID defaults to 0. When scconf is interrupted or fails while performing quorum-related operations, quorum configuration information can become inconsistent in the cluster configuration database. If an inconsistency occurs, either run the same scconf command again or run it with the reset option to reset the quorum information. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Adding Network Appliance NAS Quorum Devices The following scconf command adds the Network Appliance NAS quorum device qd1. -a -q name=qd1,type=netapp_nas,filer=nas1.sun.com,lun_id=0 Example 2 Removing Network Appliance NAS Quorum Devices The following scconf command removes the Network Appliance NAS quorum device qd1. -r -q name=qd1 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsczu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Intro(1CL), clquorum(1CL), cluster(1CL), scconf(1M), scconf-quorum-dev-scsi(1M) Sun Cluster 3.2 10 Apr 2006 scconf_quorum_dev_netapp_nas(1M)