Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search all files and sub directory Post 52509 by zazzybob on Monday 21st of June 2004 12:17:45 PM
Old 06-21-2004
Substitute
Code:
find . -type f -print | xargs wc -L | grep -v total >> ${TEMPFILE}

with

Code:
for file in $(find . -type f -print)
do
linecount=`awk 'BEGIN { f=0 } {if ( length( $0 ) > f ) { f = length( $0 ); }} END { print f}' $file`
string="$linecount $file"
echo "$string" >> ${TEMPFILE}
done

Obviously, replace the "." in the find command with the directory you are reading, /vob/project, in your case

Cheers
ZB

Last edited by zazzybob; 06-21-2004 at 07:42 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for certain word in a files from directory

hi can i know how to get the file name of any files containing for example "abc" from a number of files in a directory? i tried "ls -ltrc | grep abc" but no resulted generated. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: legato
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files in a directory and its subdirectories

Hello my friends, I need to write a simple shell bad file :D that search and delete a file it's name 'Microsoft.txt' in the current directory and its subdirectories? So can you help to guide me how i can write this shell, Just give me the beginning :o thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Net-Man
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to do search and replace on text files in directory

I was google searching and found Perl as a command line utility tool This almost solves my problem: find . | xargs perl -p -i.old -e 's/oldstring/newstring/g' I think this would create a new file for every file in my directory tree. Most of my files will not contain oldstring and I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a text within files in a directory

I need to search for a particular string. This string might be present in many files. The directory in which I am present has more than one subdirectories. Hence, the search should check in all the subdirectories and all the corresponding files and give a list of files which have the particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pakspan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all the files in a directory for a specific string

Hi Guys, I want to search the content of all the files (of a particular type like .txt) in a directory for a specific string pattern. Can anyone help me? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a directory for files that contain pathnames

Hello, I really don't know if this is possible, but I figured the wonderful users of unix.com may be able to provide me with some help/suggestions. I want to create a (bash) script that would go will accept an input file. That input file contains important information as well as pathnames. For... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tester213
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search files by time in this directory

Hello dears, In my home directory (msc-loader) there are some files like this: # ls -l -rwxrwxrwx 1 user dba 1680318 Jan 20 13:32 103386_s.c -rwxrwxrwx 1 user dba 256743 Jan 20 13:37 103387_o.c -rwxrwxrwx 1 user dba 1635363 Jan 20 13:39 103387_s.c -rwxrwxrwx 1 user dba 264735 Jan 20... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search files in directory for keywords using bash

I have ~100 text files in a directory that I am trying to parse and output to a new file. I am looking for the words chr,start,stop,ref,alt in each of the files. Those fields should appear somewhere in those files. The first two fields of each new set of rows is also printed. Since this is on a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory.?

Hi All, How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory. If I use grep -i 'hello' *.* It will search for the string hello in the files of current directory. But I want to check for the string hello in the files of all the directories. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies
Moose::Autobox::Array(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Moose::Autobox::Array(3)

NAME
Moose::Autobox::Array - the Array role SYNOPOSIS
use Moose::Autobox; [ 1..5 ]->isa('ARRAY'); # true [ a..z ]->does('Moose::Autobox::Array'); # true [ 0..2 ]->does('Moose::Autobox::List'); # true print "Squares: " . [ 1 .. 10 ]->map(sub { $_ * $_ })->join(', '); print [ 1, 'number' ]->sprintf('%d is the loneliest %s'); print ([ 1 .. 5 ]->any == 3) ? 'true' : 'false'; # prints 'true' DESCRIPTION
This is a role to describe operations on the Array type. METHODS
pop push ($value) shift unshift ($value) delete ($index) sprintf ($format_string) slice (@indices) flatten flatten_deep ($depth) first last Indexed implementation at ($index) put ($index, $value) exists ($index) keys values kv each each_key each_value each_n_values ($n, $callback) List implementation head tail join (?$seperator) length map (&block) grep (&block) Note that, in both the above, $_ is in scope within the code block, as well as being passed as $_[0]. As per CORE::map and CORE::grep, $_ is an alias to the list value, so can be used to modify the list, viz: use Moose::Autobox; my $foo = [1, 2, 3]; $foo->map( sub {$_++} ); print $foo->dump; yields $VAR1 = [ 2, 3, 4 ]; reverse sort (?&block) Junctions all any none one meta print say BUGS
All complex software has bugs lurking in it, and this module is no exception. If you find a bug please either email me, or add the bug to cpan-RT. AUTHOR
Stevan Little <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2006-2008 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-10-27 Moose::Autobox::Array(3)