Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syntax error thrown
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting syntax error thrown Post 52445 by jim mcnamara on Friday 18th of June 2004 10:34:33 AM
Old 06-18-2004
Assume your script file is called assert9419

Code:
ksh -v ./assert9419

will display each line as it executes

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mouning a Jaz drive on a DEC Alpha? (with a little Solaris thrown in)

Hi, I'm a programmer with a bit of Linux experience who's found himself thrust into the world of out of date Unix versions and hardware. I could really use some help so I can get back to doing something productive with my work days! I have been tasked with getting some information off some Jaz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bartok
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

3. AIX

Error thrown while trying to build in AIX 5.2

Hi All, Currently my project source code is compatible with HP-UX11.0 and Sun Solaris5.8. I m trying to build the source code in AIX 5.2 using gcc 4.2.2 compiler. Can anyone suggest me after seeing the rules file, what options do i need to specify to get rid of the cb error I m... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopatra789
0 Replies

4. AIX

nim mksysb error :/usr/bin/savevg[33]: 1016,07: syntax error

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, help me please. I am trying to create a mksysb bakup using nim. I am geting this error, how to correct it ? : Command : failed stdout: yes stderr: no... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

background image not loading in newly thrown html page by shell script

I m trying to throw back html page when a file is found.While throwing back html page, the background image is not coming. I am using Apache server.Please suggest how to resolve... #!/bin/ksh echo -e "Content-type: text/html\n\n" echo "<html><head></head><body background=\"/asc/ppp.jpg\">"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi18s
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving error: ./ang.ksh[35]: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 116 : `done' is not expected.

Hi All I am quite new to Unix. Following is a shell script that i have written and getting the subject mentioned error. #!/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------------- # File: ang_stdnld.ksh # # Desc: UNIX shell script to extract Store information.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Thrown in position, need to manage AIX 5.3

Hey Everyone, First post and I'm coming here for help. Basically, the company I work for has been put in a weird situation with staff turnover. I used to manage an application on our IBM p5 running AIX 5.3, but I am now managing the whole server itself. I have no experience, no box to test... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvpkife
1 Replies

8. Linux

Ambiguous redirect error and syntax error when using on multiple files

Hi, I need help on following linux bash script. When I linux commands for loop or while loop on individual file it runs great. but now I want the script to run on N number of files so it gives me ambiguous redirect error on line 12 and syntax error on line 22 : (pls help ); #!/bin/bash #... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhusudan Das
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF section problem. syntax error: unexpected end of file error

Hello, I have another problem with my script. Please accept my apologies, but I am really nooby in sh scripts. I am writing it for first time. My script: returned=`tail -50 SapLogs.log | grep -i "Error"` echo $returned if ; then echo "There is no errors in the logs" fi And after... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedzio
10 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)