Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 2.6 exec login fails
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Solaris 2.6 exec login fails Post 52135 by rambo15 on Thursday 10th of June 2004 07:02:34 PM
Old 06-10-2004
Solved Exec Login

RE: Exec login fails Resolved
Well boys and girls put this away for a rainy day. I figured out what happened to cause exec login to stop functioning. As you may recall in my first post I explained that exec login stopped working after a third party had "hardened" the system. Well one of the files that was hardened was the /var/adm/utmpx, whoose original permissions were 644 after the "hardening" they were 640. Once I changed the permissions back exec login worked just fine.

Problem solved.

Regards - Mark K.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

exec login fails

Ladies and Gentlemen; I need your help in determining what has happened to one of my companies systems. Here is the scenario: System Ultra 5 with Solaris 2.6 and the latest patch cluster installed. Third party security person "hardened" the system yesterday. Now when I login into CDE and open a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
2 Replies

2. Solaris

ioctl() fails to get window size from console login

Hi, I need to get the console window size for an application, for which I used ioctl() by passing the TIOCGWINSZ parameter. The ioctl() function does not fail (returns non zero), but it could not get the window size (gets 0x0). When I tried to verify the window size by the stty -a command, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diganta
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pkgadd fails when installing Solaris 8 patches

Hi, guys ! I usually run this task without even thinking on outcome, because it never failed. But this time when I tried installation of patches for Solaris 8 OS on my old machine, I received this message: "pkgadd: ERROR: no packages were found in </var/spool/pkg>" I compared the contents... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deicide5997
5 Replies

4. Solaris

ldap client fails to start under solaris 10

I have an issue here with ldap client. It stoped and won't start. What I have got: sadm $ tail /var/adm/messages Apr 16 09:17:24 hostname inetd: libsldap: Status: 2 Mesg: Unable to load configuration '/var/ldap/ldap_client_file' (''). Apr 16 09:17:24 hostname inetd: libsldap: Status: 2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
3 Replies

5. Solaris

SSH Password-less login fails on password expiry.

Hi Gurus I have a few Sol 5.9 servers and i have enabled password less authentication between them for my user ID. Often i have found that when my password has expired,the login fails. Resetting my password reenables the keys. Do i need to do something to avoid this scenario or is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 install fails on sparc

I'm trying to do an upgrade/install from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 on a SUN Sparc system. I halt the system, as documented, but when I attempt to boot off the distribution DVD; i.e. halt : : OK> boot cdrom The system indicates that the device is 'unrecognizable' These are SUN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: imagtek
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris: clnt_create fails on solaris x86

Hi, I am facing an issue with Solaris x86 machine Machine Details: uname -a SunOS sol10-64 5.10 Generic_137138-09 i86pc i386 i86pc .............................. Description: I am trying to register a programm with proramm ID 300760 with version number 1, and tryint to create a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DivakarAdari
0 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Memset fails on Solaris

Hi, memset call is failing on solaris for me. I wrote below code and that also fails. Any hints? void *memset(void *dst, int c, size_t n) { if (n) { char *d = dst; do { *d++ = c; } while (--n); } return dst; } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep works on Linux but fails on Solaris

Hi, On linux i have the below command working fine. grep -o '<name>.*</name>' deploy.tmp | sed 's/\(<name>\|<\/name>\)//g' deploy.tmp But the same is failing on Solaris uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-23 sun4v sparc sun4v Can you tell me how can i get it work on Solaris ?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed works on Linux but fails on Solaris

Hi, On Linux i get the desired ouput: echo "<value>WEB_USER</value>" | sed 's/\(<value>\|<\/value>\)//g'Output: Executing the same command on Solaris: echo "<value>WEB_USER</value>" | sed 's/\(<value>\|<\/value>\)//g'Output: I need to get the desired output on Solaris i.e. WEB_USER and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)                                              CDBS Documentation                                              CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
cdbs-edit-patch - create or edit a CDBS simple-patchsys.mk patch SYNOPSIS
cdbs-edit-patch patchname DESCRIPTION
cdbs-edit-patch creates or edits patches for use by the CDBS simple-patchsys.mk patch system. For more information about CDBS please see the documentation under /usr/share/doc/cdbs/. When patchname exists, cdbs-edit-patch will set up a temporary working source tree, apply all patches up to and including patchname in lex- icographic order, and spawn an interactive shell for the developer. The developer can then edit files in this working tree. When the developer is done and exits the shell, cdbs-edit-patch updates patchname to reflect the changes made. To abort the process from the inter- active shell, exit with a nonzero exit value. When patchname does not exist, cdbs-edit-patch will assume that a new patch should be created. As with the above scenario, cdbs-edit-patch will first create a temporary working source tree and apply all patches up to the new patch in lexicographic order. When the shell is quit, cdbs-edit-patch will create patchname. AUTHOR
CDBS was written by Colin Walters and others. cdbs-edit-patch was written by Martin Pitt. This manual page was written by Peter Eisen- traut based on the dpatch-edit-patch(1) manual page. SEE ALSO
CDBS documentation in /usr/share/doc/cdbs/, /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/simple-patchsys.mk, dpatch-edit-patch(1), quilt(1) Debian 5 Feb 2006 CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)