Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Name Resolution between Solaris and Windows Post 52110 by medmonson on Thursday 10th of June 2004 09:44:57 AM
Old 06-10-2004
Thanks RTM. (Is this for Read The Man-pages?) Smilie

I'll take a look at the Sun Docs for more on the ipnodes.

As far as how the Win and NT machines resolve names, I am pretty sure they resolve names via DNS. However, I modified the HOSTS file on a couple of my Win2K machines, and added in the workstation_2 name with its associated IP address. I then re-imported the HOSTS file. After doing this I was able to ping the workstation_2 name as well as its IP address. These machines essentially can resolve the workstation_2 name now. I think this would deduce my problem to a Windows resolution issue versus a Solaris resolution issue. However, I am still not sure how the other workstations are getting their names resolved because they are not referenced in the HOSTS file...

On the Solaris Workstations in the /etc/nsswitch.conf files:

for hosts:

hosts: nis [NOTFOUND=return] files dns

Now I know this is different than what I have seen in other postings, (hosts: files dns), but this is what is in all of the workstations' nsswitch.conf files. I would think this could not be the problem.

Cheers,

medmonson

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris and windows

Hi All, If i install windows xp and solaris on the same machine(x86 platform) can both be running at the same time,even if i use vmware or virtual pc like that. Can I able to configure internet for solaris if i dont have a router and i directly connect to internet through cable modem. Can i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 10 Desktop resolution

I have a problem with solaris 10 desktop resolution. My resolution is 1680x1050. I want to boot in troubleshooting mode to change this resolution for the root user. Or all users. What is the configuration script. ex: .dtconfig/Xconfig (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 name resolution question

As you can see by the following text, we have a multi-homed host defined in our network: bash-2.05# nslookup ldaptest Server: usat0x40.atd.gmeds.com Address: 10.1.14.14 Name: ldaptest.atd.gmeds.com Addresses: 10.1.16.142, 10.1.16.141 I turned off nscd (didn't think I needed to)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pzxkys
5 Replies

4. Solaris

NTFS under Solaris (switching from windows to Solaris server)

I want just to keep Solaris OS as my default OS . I have installed linux and windows as well but all my critical data is stored on NTFS partition so question is how to mount HDD with NTFS on Solaris (tried FUSE + NTFS-3g but that did`t worked for me system was down) And why Solaris does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Screen Resolution problem on Ultra 10 with Solaris 10

Hi, I have a Sun Ultra 10 (SPARC) with Solaris 10 installed. The screen resolution is very poor and grainy which I have been unable to rectify. Every time I try to set the resolution I get the following: 'The XServer does not support the XRandR extension. Runtime resolution changes to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patcom
5 Replies

6. Solaris

SFTP from Solaris to Windows

Hello Guys, I was looking for a method for passwordless SFTP from Solaris to Windows server. I googled a lot, but could not find anything which would suit my purpose. All I found on google was the error messages that people got, but not how to do it. Please help. I am in urgent need of it. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
7 Replies

7. Solaris

X-Windows on Solaris

Hi, I am new to the X-windows concept. I am connecting to Solaris Server through putty. I heard we can start an X-windows session(GUI) of the Solaris server from putty session as well. Can somebody help as how to proceed to acheive this ? Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
8 Replies

8. Solaris

MS Windows XP to Solaris 10

I have a solaris box with no internet connection. I downloaded a .tar file to my XP box, burned it to CD and copied the file to a directory on the solaris box. When I try to untar it, i get a directory checksum error. I don't know enough about unix to figure this out. Can someone please help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncjbdwqer
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Changing dpi screen resolution in Solaris 10.

Hi, everyone! I would like to try OpenStep for Solaris on my Sun Ultra 10 machine, so I installed all required packages, the problem is that OpenStep requires screen DPI to be set to 72x72 while my current dpi is 90x90. So how do I change the dpi? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nongrato
0 Replies
NSS-SYSTEMD(8)							    nss-systemd 						    NSS-SYSTEMD(8)

NAME
nss-systemd, libnss_systemd.so.2 - Provide UNIX user and group name resolution for dynamic users and groups. SYNOPSIS
libnss_systemd.so.2 DESCRIPTION
nss-systemd is a plug-in module for the GNU Name Service Switch (NSS) functionality of the GNU C Library (glibc), providing UNIX user and group name resolution for dynamic users and groups allocated through the DynamicUser= option in systemd unit files. See systemd.exec(5) for details on this option. This module also ensures that the root and nobody users and groups (i.e. the users/groups with the UIDs/GIDs 0 and 65534) remain resolvable at all times, even if they aren't listed in /etc/passwd or /etc/group, or if these files are missing. To activate the NSS module, add "systemd" to the lines starting with "passwd:" and "group:" in /etc/nsswitch.conf. It is recommended to place "systemd" after the "files" or "compat" entry of the /etc/nsswitch.conf lines so that /etc/passwd and /etc/group based mappings take precedence. EXAMPLE
Here is an example /etc/nsswitch.conf file that enables nss-systemd correctly: passwd: compat mymachines systemd group: compat mymachines systemd shadow: compat hosts: files mymachines resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns myhostname networks: files protocols: db files services: db files ethers: db files rpc: db files netgroup: nis SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.exec(5), nss-resolve(8), nss-myhostname(8), nss-mymachines(8), nsswitch.conf(5), getent(1) systemd 237 NSS-SYSTEMD(8)