Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory How to duplicate a drive in Unix? Post 52079 by TSXChef on Wednesday 9th of June 2004 11:58:28 AM
Old 06-09-2004
Question

Hello,

First, I apologize in advance for bringing up a question that probably has been answer somewhere in the forum (I've been searching for hours and I finllay decided to post, I'm definitely a noob to UNIX, again sorry).

I am trying to do the same as the original poster, copy/mirror a drive (entire contents) for purpose of backup. Basically duplicate contents of an existing SCSI HardDrive running UNIX SCO Ver.5.0.6 to a new HD, then boot it with a newly backed-up drive to make sure that it works properly.

Reason for this exercise is to make sure that I have a working backup copy before I could setting up RAID or do other potentially stupid things.

I have been reading and sounds like "dd" or "cpio" would do the trick, but I like the simplicity of "dd" unless I misunderstood its functions. I'm a complete newb to UNIX so this could easily happen.

So, is this the path once the backup HD is installed and detected?
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb
(where, hda = current drive, hdb = new drive)

If so, any risks or cautions of what not to do?? thank you!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix on a small drive?

has any body put freebsd on a drive smaller than 80megs? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: silverraindog
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Drive on Unix 7.1.1

I am trying to install a tape drive on this system (Unix 7.1.1) where will I start? 1. Do I need to load the driver on the on board scsi? How? 2. Is there a driver for the tape drive itself? Things done: 1. Terminated the device on the controller board. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a4tech
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sharing a Unix Drive Over The Internet ... but

I don't know if this can be done, otherwise, my project will come to a screeching halt. I have a SCO 5.0.5 machine connected to the internet with a static IP address. I need to be able to share a drive : /shareddrive I need to map to it from a windows machine: hence, what i'd like to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RAM Drive in UNIX?

Hello, I will be processing 47000 zip files each of size 5.5 MB. Following operation will be performed for each zip file: 1. Unzip the file. 2. Read each text and binary file. 3. Preprocess the files. 4. Store the files in different tables in Oracle. 5. Delete the extracted... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshivaibhav
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete partial duplicate lines unix

hi :) I need to delete partial duplicate lines I have this in a file sihp8027,/opt/cf20,1980182 sihp8027,/opt/oracle/10gRelIIcd,155200016 sihp8027,/opt/oracle/10gRelIIcd,155200176 sihp8027,/var/opt/ERP,10376312 and need to leave it like this: sihp8027,/opt/cf20,1980182... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|KiLLeR|S
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 2.6 - Duplicate Filesystem to a larger slice(same drive)

One of our production systems has a slice called "oldslice" that periodically runs low on space during normal operation. We have minimum requirements for online data retention, and whoever sized this slice didn't give it much wiggle room, so it periodically runs low on space. I'm getting tired of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the.gooch
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicate column in unix file

Hello, I have a fixed width unix file with 2 columns containing the following data ZTXX_CTBR1-ZBRAN1 ZTXX_CTBR1-ZBRAN_DESC 01 CASH & CARRY 02 DRUGSTORE - RX 04 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chumsky
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to move .csv file from UNIX path to windows shared drive or c:\ drive

Hi Guys, Can any one help me on this. I need help to move .csv/.xls file from unix path to windows shared drive or c:\ drive? Regards, LKR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok117
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to find/sort/move images/duplicate images from USB drive

Ultimately, I'm looking to create a script that allows me to plug in a usb drive with lots of jpegs on it & copy them over to a folder on my hard drive. So in the process of copying I am looking to hash check them, record dupes to a file, copy only 1 of the identical files (if it doesn't exsist... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JonaQuinn
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

FTP from Widows to UNIX system - how to? ( was To not to duplicate)

Dear team , thanks for your support. I am trying to not to duplicate a thread if one is already there for what I am looking, which I am not able to figure out. Is it OK if I post the post the following question in new thread. --- What follows was in blue.. we are to avoid using colours as we want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ar103081
4 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)