Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Name Resolution between Solaris and Windows Post 52072 by medmonson on Wednesday 9th of June 2004 09:15:47 AM
Old 06-09-2004
Name Resolution between Solaris and Windows

Hello.

I have been working on an issue I hope someone can help me out with.

I have a small network with an NT4 Server, 15 Win2K PC, and four Unix workstations. I am having problems resolving the name of one of the workstations from the server and PC's. I am attacking this issue from both sides of the coin.

To better explain say I have two workstations, workstation_1 and workstation_2. From either the server or any PC, I can ping workstation_1 by either its IP address or it's name and receive a reply back. However, when I ping workstation_2, I only receive a reply when I ping by IP address. I get an unknown host error when pinging from a PC, and a bad IP address error when pinging from the server.

I have looked at the LMHOSTS file, and can find no reference to any of the workstations, either by IP address or machine name, (even for the ones that their names do get resolved.)

I have also looked at the nsswitch.conf files on both workstations. The two files are almost identical, except for one line. Workstation_2, has the following line:

ipnodes: files

I have tried commenting it out, and repinging the machine. I receive the same result. Does this line possibly have anything to do with my issue? If so, do I need to update/refresh the nsswitch.conf file before trying to ping the workstation_2 again?

Also, I noticed that workstation_1 is running Solaris 6, and workstation_2 is running Solaris 8. Are there differences in how these two OS's resolve names?

Also, I am able to ping machine names between workstations, and that is okay.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

medmonson

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris and windows

Hi All, If i install windows xp and solaris on the same machine(x86 platform) can both be running at the same time,even if i use vmware or virtual pc like that. Can I able to configure internet for solaris if i dont have a router and i directly connect to internet through cable modem. Can i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 10 Desktop resolution

I have a problem with solaris 10 desktop resolution. My resolution is 1680x1050. I want to boot in troubleshooting mode to change this resolution for the root user. Or all users. What is the configuration script. ex: .dtconfig/Xconfig (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 name resolution question

As you can see by the following text, we have a multi-homed host defined in our network: bash-2.05# nslookup ldaptest Server: usat0x40.atd.gmeds.com Address: 10.1.14.14 Name: ldaptest.atd.gmeds.com Addresses: 10.1.16.142, 10.1.16.141 I turned off nscd (didn't think I needed to)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pzxkys
5 Replies

4. Solaris

NTFS under Solaris (switching from windows to Solaris server)

I want just to keep Solaris OS as my default OS . I have installed linux and windows as well but all my critical data is stored on NTFS partition so question is how to mount HDD with NTFS on Solaris (tried FUSE + NTFS-3g but that did`t worked for me system was down) And why Solaris does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Screen Resolution problem on Ultra 10 with Solaris 10

Hi, I have a Sun Ultra 10 (SPARC) with Solaris 10 installed. The screen resolution is very poor and grainy which I have been unable to rectify. Every time I try to set the resolution I get the following: 'The XServer does not support the XRandR extension. Runtime resolution changes to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patcom
5 Replies

6. Solaris

SFTP from Solaris to Windows

Hello Guys, I was looking for a method for passwordless SFTP from Solaris to Windows server. I googled a lot, but could not find anything which would suit my purpose. All I found on google was the error messages that people got, but not how to do it. Please help. I am in urgent need of it. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
7 Replies

7. Solaris

X-Windows on Solaris

Hi, I am new to the X-windows concept. I am connecting to Solaris Server through putty. I heard we can start an X-windows session(GUI) of the Solaris server from putty session as well. Can somebody help as how to proceed to acheive this ? Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
8 Replies

8. Solaris

MS Windows XP to Solaris 10

I have a solaris box with no internet connection. I downloaded a .tar file to my XP box, burned it to CD and copied the file to a directory on the solaris box. When I try to untar it, i get a directory checksum error. I don't know enough about unix to figure this out. Can someone please help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncjbdwqer
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Changing dpi screen resolution in Solaris 10.

Hi, everyone! I would like to try OpenStep for Solaris on my Sun Ultra 10 machine, so I installed all required packages, the problem is that OpenStep requires screen DPI to be set to 72x72 while my current dpi is 90x90. So how do I change the dpi? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nongrato
0 Replies
Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper(3pm)

NAME
Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper - provides a unified way to configure network interfaces on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, Linux, OS X, and WinNT (from Win2K). Version 0.11 SYNOPSIS
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w # uni-ifconfig.pl # The unified ifconfig command. # Works the same way on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, Linux, OS X, WinNT (from Win2K). # Note: due of Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper limitations 'inet' and 'down' commands # are not working on WinNT. +/-alias are working, of course. use strict; use Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper; my $Usage = << 'EndOfText'; uni-ifconfig.pl # Print this notice uni-ifconfig.pl -a # Print info about all interfaces uni-ifconfig.pl <iface> # Print info obout specified interface uni-ifconfig.pl <iface> down # Bring specified interface down uni-ifconfig.pl <iface> inet <AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA> mask <MMM.MMM.MMM.MMM> # Set the specified address on the specified interface # and bring this interface up uni-ifconfig.pl <iface> inet <AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA> mask <MMM.MMM.MMM.MMM> [+]alias # Set the specified alias address # on the specified interface uni-ifconfig.pl <iface> inet <AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA> [mask <MMM.MMM.MMM.MMM>] -alias # Remove specified alias address # from the specified interface EndOfText my $Info = Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper::Ifconfig('list', '', '', '') or die $@; scalar(keys(%{$Info})) or die "No one interface found. Something wrong? "; if (!scalar(@ARGV)) { print $Usage; exit 0; } if ($ARGV[0] eq '-a') { defined($ARGV[1]) and die $Usage; foreach (sort(keys(%{$Info}))) { print IfaceInfo($Info, $_); }; exit 0; }; $Info->{$ARGV[0]} or die "Interface '$ARGV[0]' is unknown "; if (!defined($ARGV[1])) { print IfaceInfo($Info, $ARGV[0]); exit 0; } my $CmdLine = join(' ', @ARGV); my $Result = undef; if ($CmdLine =~ m/As*([w{}-]+)s+downs*/i) { $Result = Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper::Ifconfig('down', $1, '', ''); } elsif ($CmdLine =~ m/As*([w{}-]+)s+inets+(d{1,3}(?:.d{1,3}){3})s+masks+(d{1,3}(?:.d{1,3}){3})s*/i) { $Result = Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper::Ifconfig('inet', $1, $2, $3); } elsif ($CmdLine =~ m/As*([w{}-]+)s+inets+(d{1,3}(?:.d{1,3}){3})s+masks+(d{1,3}(?:.d{1,3}){3})s++?aliass*/i) { $Result = Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper::Ifconfig('+alias', $1, $2, $3); } elsif ($CmdLine =~ m/As*([w{}-]+)s+inets+(d{1,3}(?:.d{1,3}){3})s+(:?masks+(d{1,3}(?:.d{1,3}){3})s+)?-aliass*/i) { $Result = Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper::Ifconfig('-alias', $1, $2, ''); } else { die $Usage; }; $Result or die $@; exit 0; sub IfaceInfo { my ($Info, $Iface) = @_; my $Res = "$Iface: ".($Info->{$Iface}{'status'} ? 'UP' : 'DOWN')." "; while (my ($Addr, $Mask) = each(%{$Info->{$Iface}{'inet'}})) { $Res .= sprintf(" inet %-15s mask $Mask ", $Addr); }; $Info->{$Iface}{'ether'} and $Res .= " ether ".$Info->{$Iface}{'ether'}." "; $Info->{$Iface}{'descr'} and $Res .= " descr '".$Info->{$Iface}{'descr'}."' "; return $Res; }; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a unified way to configure the network interfaces on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, Linux, OS X, and WinNT (from Win2K) systems. Only "inet" (IPv4) and "ether" (MAC) addresses are supported at the moment On Unixes this module calls the system "ifconfig" command to perform the actions. On Windows the functions from IpHlpAPI.DLL are called. For all supported Unixes "Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper" expect "ifconfig" command to be "/sbin/ifconfig". Module was tested on FreeBSD 4.7,4.8,5.3 (Intel), RedHat 6.2,7.3,8.0 (Intel), Win2000 Pro (Intel), OpenBSD 3.1 (SPARC), Solaris 7 (SPARC), OS X 10.3 (aka Panther), OS X 10.4 (aka Tiger). In MSWin32 family only WinNT is supported. In WinNT family only Win2K or later is supported. The Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper methods "Ifconfig(Command, Interface, Address, Netmask);" The first and the last method of the "Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper" module. Do all the job. The particular action is described by the $Command parameter. $Command could be: 'list' "Ifconfig('list', '', '', '')" will return the reference to the hash contains the information about interfaces. The structure of this hash is the following: {IfaceName => {'status' => 0|1 # The status of the interface. 0 means down, 1 means up 'ether' => MACaddr, # The ethernet address of the interface if available 'descr' => Description, # The description of the interface if available 'inet' => {IPaddr1 => NetMask, # The IP address and his netmask, both are in AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD notation IPaddr2 => NetMask, ... }, ... }; Interface, Address, Netmask parameters are ignored. The following programs are called: FreeBSD "/sbin/ifconfig -a" Solaris "/sbin/ifconfig -a" OpenBSD "/sbin/ifconfig -A" Linux "/sbin/ifconfig -a" OS X "/sbin/ifconfig -a" MSWin32 "GetAdaptersInfo" function from "IpHlpAPI.DLL" Limitations: OpenBSD: "/sbin/ifconfig -A" command is not returning information about MAC addresses so we are trying to get it from '/usr/sbin/arp -a' command (first 'static' entry). If no one present the 'ff:ff:ff:ff:ff' address is returned. MSWin32: "GetAdaptersInfo" function is not returning information about interface which have address 127.0.0.1 binded so "Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper" have no ability to display it. Not limitation but little problem: MSWin32 interface names are not human-readable, they looks like "{843C2077-30EC-4C56-A401-658BB1E42BC7}" (on Win2K at least). 'inet' This function is used to set IPv4 address on interface. It have to be called as Ifconfig('inet', $IfaceName, $Addr, $Mask); $IfaceName is an interface name as displayed by 'list' command $Addr is an IPv4 address in the "AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA" notation $Mask is an IPv4 subnet mask in the "MMM.MMM.MMM.MMM" notation The following actual "ifconfig" programs are called FreeBSD "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% netmask %Mask% up" Solaris "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% netmask %Mask% up" OpenBSD "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% netmask %Mask% up" Linux "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% netmask %Mask% up" OS X "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% netmask %Mask% up" MSWin32: nothing :( Limitations: MSWin32: I did not find the relaible way to recognize the "main" address on the Win32 network interface, so I have disabled this functionality. If you know the way please let me know. 'up' Just a synonym for 'inet' 'down' This function is used to bring specified interface down. It have to be called as Ifconfig('inet', $IfaceName, '', ''); $IfaceName is an interface name as displayed by 'list' command Address and Netmask are ignored. The following actual "ifconfig" programs are called FreeBSD "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% down" Solaris "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% down" OpenBSD "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% down" Linux "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% down" OS X "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% down" MSWin32 nothing :( Limitations: MSWin32: I did not find the way to implement the 'up' command so I did not implement 'down'. '+alias' This function is used to set IPv4 alias address on interface. It have to be called as Ifconfig('+alias', $IfaceName, $Addr, $Mask); $IfaceName is an interface name as displayed by 'list' command $Addr is an IPv4 address in the "AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA" notation $Mask is an IPv4 subnet mask in the "MMM.MMM.MMM.MMM" notation The following actual "ifconfig" programs are called FreeBSD "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% netmask %Mask% alias" Solaris "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface%:%Logic% inet %Addr% netmask %Mask% up" OpenBSD "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% netmask %Mask% alias" Linux "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface%:%Logic% inet %Addr% netmask %Mask% up" OS X "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% netmask %Mask% alias" MSWin32 "AddIPAddress" function from "IpHlpAPI.DLL" First available logic interface is taken automatically for Solaris and Linux 'alias' Just a synonim for '+alias' '-alias' This function is used to remove IPv4 alias address from interface. It have to be called as Ifconfig('-alias', $IfaceName, $Addr, ''); $IfaceName is an interface name as displayed by 'list' command $Addr is an IPv4 address in the "AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA" notation Netmask> parameter is ignored The following actual "ifconfig" programs are called FreeBSD "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% -alias" Solaris "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface%:%Logic% down" OpenBSD "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% -alias" Linux "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface%:%Logic% down" OS X "/sbin/ifconfig %Iface% inet %Addr% -alias" MSWin32 "DeleteIPAddress" function from "IpHlpAPI.DLL" Appropriate logic interface is obtained automatically for Solaris and Linux On success "Ifconfig(...)" returns the defined value. Actually, it is a reference to the array contains the output of the actual "ifconfig" program called. In case of troubles "Ifconfig(...)" returns 'undef' value, $@ variable contains the error message. EXPORT None by default. AUTHOR
Daniel Podolsky, <tpaba@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8), Internet Protocol Helper in Platform SDK. perl v5.14.2 2012-01-19 Net::Ifconfig::Wrapper(3pm)