Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting getting a shell script to know it's path Post 51923 by norsk hedensk on Saturday 5th of June 2004 05:40:58 PM
Old 06-05-2004
use the 'pwd' command.

you could save the result of the pwd command in a variable, and then have awk or something else take away the last part of that string. so you would get
/some/directory/to_be_renamed

then have it chop off the to_be_renamed part and save that in another variable.

then you would have it do
mv $var_1 $var_2"new_name"

or something. check the syntax cause mine probably isnt correct.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check path exist or not in UNIX shell script

UNIX Shell Script I'm in /home/suneel dirctory in that directory need to check for a path for example com/src/resources If Path exists need to copy the files from one directory If path not exist need to create the folders and copy the files UNIX shell script help required (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelc
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum length of a path given as an argument to a shell script

hi, I am using solaris10. I have to write a bourne shell script, which copies files for the said destination path which is passed as an argument to the script. it looks like this myscript.sh /var/test -->destination path now i would like to know what is the maximum length i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want only file names (not whole path) in shell script

hi i wrote following script, #!/usr/bin/sh for index in `ls /tmp/common/*.txt` do echo "$index" done here index is giving full path but in my program i want only file names (not along with whole path) Eg. if in /tmp/common files are a.txt and b.txt den out should be a.txt b.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set PATH using shell script [resolved]

Hi, Can anyone help me on how to set PATH using shell scripting.. Please find the shell script code here.... #!/bin/bash PATH = $PATH:/opt/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/bin export PATH echo $PATH exit When i execute this script i get the following error ./backup.sh: line 2: PATH:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasj
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to loop for a particular file in predefined path

Hi , i need a shell script to poll a particular file in a predefined directory , once that file is found , i need to launch another shell script . Eg i need to poll for A.txt in /home/username/Desktop once A.txt is created by Desktop(Created by another Script) , i need to launch another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinod H C
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A shell script for create a a file in the respective path

Hello forum members, I have to create a out file in the current path./aaa/bbb/ccc/hhh. i am writing script below. ###script Begins##### #!/bin/ksh echo "Weclome" if then echo "Hello" rm -rf $aaa/bbb/ccc/hhh #clean the exsisting o/p file echo "no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell FTP script to send all files to different path

Hello to all in forum I hope you can help me. I want to send via FTP to a linux server the 2 kind of files that are in the same folder, as follow: 1- Send all files that are named verified.SomeString.zz.pttp to path /var/verified 2- Send all files where the name begins with verified.conf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting the path permanently using shell script

I'm trying to set the path permanently through a shell script. (/opt/quest/bin:/usr/bin/lab to /.profile.) I tired using echo option like below but it doesn't work. Please suggest me the right way to do so. echo "PATH=$PATH:/opt/quest/bin:/usr/bin/lab" >> /.profile (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating shell script files with the $PATH variable

I've created a test script, which is located in $HOME/bin. The script runs as expected with no issues. However, upon echo'ing the $path variable the location of my script is not located in any of the directories listed in $path. So my question is, how does shell know where the script is located... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrandonD
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to change the path location within the shell script?

Hi ALL, I am trying to find the installed tomcat version and location of the server.xml file to get the tomcat port number. Using below script to do that. #!/usr/bin/env bash var1=$(find / -name "version.sh" ! -size 0 2>&1 |egrep -v "tmp|docker") for loc1 in $var1 do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravani25
1 Replies
pwd.h(3HEAD)							      Headers							      pwd.h(3HEAD)

NAME
pwd.h, pwd - password structure SYNOPSIS
#include <pwd.h> DESCRIPTION
The <pwd.h> header provides a definition for struct passwd, which includes the following members: char *pw_name user's login name uid_t pw_uid numerical user ID gid_t pw_gid numerical group ID char *pw_dir initial working di rectory char *pw_shell program to use as shell The gid_t and uid_t types are defined as described in <sys/types.h>. See types.h(3HEAD). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getpwnam(3C), types.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Sep 2004 pwd.h(3HEAD)