Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove non printing chars
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove non printing chars Post 51857 by Ygor on Thursday 3rd of June 2004 03:19:03 PM
Old 06-03-2004
Maybe try...

tr -dc '[:print:]'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert C source from 8bit chars to 16bit chars?

I was using the following bash command inside the emacs compile command to search C++ source code: grep -inr --include='*.h' --include='*.cpp' '"' * | sed "/include/d" | sed "/_T/d" | sed '/^ *\/\//d' | sed '/extern/d' Emacs will then position me in the correct file and at the correct line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

is is possible remove junk chars from the strings?

Hello friendz, dfl;g435hkd.fg ..this is what I am getting. I want to print strings without junk chars. I want to exactly like this... dflg435hkd.fg ...need some specific operators also. for example, dot or comma should allow. plz help me out ya! ~Balan:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balan_mca
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove newline chars in each record of file

Hi, I have a fixed width file with record length 10. I need to remove multiple newline characters present in each record. EX: af\n72/7\n s\n3\nad\n 2\n\n33r\n In the above file I want to remove new lines in red color(\n) but not (\n) Please provide me a solution. Thanks, Sri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove Unicode/special chars from XML

Hi, We are receiving an XML file in Unix which has some special characters between tags like '^' etc <Tag> 1e^O7f%<2304e.$d8f57e8^Bf-&e.^Zh7/327e^O7 </Tag> We need to remove all special characters like ^ ones and also any '&' or '<' or '>' being sent within the start and close tags i.e.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsrookie7
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate chars and sort string [SED]

Hi, INPUT: DCBADD OUTPUT: ABCD The SED script should alphabetically sort the chars in the string and remove the duplicate chars. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jds93
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read value of a file, remove first 2 chars and put this value in a variable

Hi i have need of read a file value with cat command and remove first 2character for example cat /sys/class/rtc/day 0x12 Remove char 12 And put this value in a variable is possible with a script thanks for help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enaud
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing the contents of a file in a script with added chars

I have the contents of file1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 i'm trying to figure out how to add chars to them so it would display as this, if it's possible 1 . 2 . 3 \ 4 . 5 . 6 \ 7 . 8 . 9 \ thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austing5
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove newline chars based on pattern mis-match

Greetings Experts, I am in AIX; I have a file generated through awk after processing the input files. Now I need to replace or remove the new-line characters on all lines that doesn't have a ; which is the last character on the line. I tried to use sed 's/\n/ /g' After checking through the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Safely Remove Files with Special Chars

Hey Guys, I'm swamped writing code for the forums: Could someone write a script or command line to safely delete files with special chars in filenames from a directory: Example: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 148 Apr 30 23:00 ?xA?? -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 148... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
rlprrc(5)						       UNIX Reference Manual							 rlprrc(5)

NAME
rlprrc - remote printing resource file DESCRIPTION
The rlprrc configuration file is consulted by the remote printing commands (rlpr(1), rlpq(1), and rlprm(1)) to resolve a printqueue or a hostname. It can be used to either lookup a printqueue (printer) for a given host, or a host for a given printqueue. If both the printer and the printhost are known, this file is never consulted. Initially, the remote printing commands look for the file .rlprrc in the user's home directory. If that file cannot be found or does not provide the information necessary to resolve the query, then the system-wide /etc/rlprrc is consulted (if present). If resolution is still unsuccessful, the command fails. There is one entry per line - each line has the format: hostname: printer1 printer2 ... printerN Which indicates that host hostname has printers printer1 printer2 ... printerN available. In the case where the remote printing command knows the host to print to but does not know which printer to use on that host, the first one (printer1 here) will be used. In the case where the remote printing command knows the printqueue (printer) to print to but does not know what host has that queue, the last host which has the specified printqueue is used. If this behavior is not acceptable, you can force a certain host to always be used for a certain printqueue by putting a ! after the printqueue name. For example, an .rlprrc file containing: foo.baz.org: litho laserjet4! foo.bar.org: laserjet4 lineprinter will always resolve the printqueue laserjet4 to foo.baz.org no matter what other hosts have a printqueue named laserjet4. The rlprrc file is only consulted in situations where a printqueue or hostname needs to be resolved. It is provided only for convenience and is not required. SEE ALSO
rlpr(1), rlpq(1), rlprm(1), rlprd(8) AUTHOR
meem <meem@gnu.org> rlpr 2.04 1999/10/28 rlprrc(5)