Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Poor resourece allocation (multi-user system) Post 51637 by dj_is on Wednesday 26th of May 2004 02:50:35 PM
Old 05-26-2004
Question Poor resourece allocation (multi-user system)

All,

I am an intermediate user, and am running SAS on a nice Solaris machine. However, even when top says that no other programs are running, the machine will only give me 5-7% processor power. Is this a configuration problem with SAS or the way the server is configured? Is there any way I can get more resources without bugging the admin? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Multi operation system in one pc.

Does anyone can write a thread to teach me how to install Windows 2000, RH Linux, and FreeBSD unix in one machine step by step? Or someone's already done with this topic? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is ‘nice’ command useful on a multi-CPU UNIX system?

Can someone tell me this. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xoxouu
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multi User Multi Task

Dear Experts Why we always hear that unix operating system is Multi User and Multi task. What does these two means. I have looked at some books and documents but couldn't find aclear explenation. Can we say Windows operating system is also multi user and multi task?? Thanks for your help in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
6 Replies

4. Solaris

stay in multi user mode but stop logins to system?

I want to apply patches in multiuser mode but stop logins of other users while I do it? What is the best way to do this? I will be connected to the system via a putty session over a serial cable from another system (console is messed up)... Should I put in a dummy passwd and shadow file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
7 Replies

5. Programming

dynamic allocation vs static allocation in c

i wrote a tiny version of tail command using a large buffer statically allocated but, in a second time, i found another version in which i use a bidimensional array dynamically allocated. here is the first version /*my tiny tail, it prints the last 5 line of a file */ #include<stdio.h>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasclaus
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a multi user input form

Hi All, Please ignore if terminology used is incorrect as I am new to Unix. I want to create a Multi user input form which looks something like this: ABCD TOOL Logged User: abcd12 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhu0007
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Four-Level multi-paging on x86 system with 64 bit addressing

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi all, I've got a huuuuuuge problem with understanding this new concept of multi-paging. I really tried to research but i could not find anything significant. I've been trying to understand this for 4 days and i cannot. The question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowboarder
0 Replies

8. Programming

HELP!!: CPU resource allocation between kernel modules and user mode process

Hi,all: I run my program which consists of one kernel module and one user mode process on a dual core server. The problem here is the kernel module consumes 100% of one core while the user mode process only consumes 10% of the other core, is there any solution that I can assign some computing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neyshule
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Block-based allocation and Extent-based allocation in Solaris

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's this figure about? (See the attached figure below.) This is a representation of block allocation filesystem and extent allocation filesystem in Solaris. Does this mean that in a block-based allocation, data are placed in individual blocks while in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
0 Replies
SMP_REP_EXP_ROUTE_TBL(8)					     SMP_UTILS						  SMP_REP_EXP_ROUTE_TBL(8)

NAME
smp_rep_exp_route_tbl - invoke REPORT EXPANDER ROUTE TABLE LIST SMP function SYNOPSIS
smp_rep_exp_route_tbl [--brief] [--help] [--hex] [--index=IN] [--interface=PARAMS] [--num=NUM] [--phy=ID] [--raw] [--sa=SAS_ADDR] [--ver- bose] [--version] SMP_DEVICE[,N] DESCRIPTION
Sends a SAS Management Protocol (SMP) REPORT EXPANDER ROUTE TABLE LIST request function to a SMP target and decodes or outputs the response. The SMP target is identified by the SMP_DEVICE and the SAS_ADDR. Depending on the interface, the SAS_ADDR may be deduced from the SMP_DEVICE. With one interface there is one SMP_DEVICE per machine so the SMP_DEVICE[,N] syntax is needed to differentiate between HBAs if there are multiple present. OPTIONS
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -b, --brief reduce the decoded response output. -h, --help output the usage message then exit. -H, --hex output the response in hexadecimal. -i, --index=IN IN is the starting routed SAS address index. The default value is 0. -I, --interface=PARAMS interface specific parameters. In this case "interface" refers to the path through the operating system to the SMP initiator. See the smp_utils man page for more information. -n, --num=NUM maximum number of descriptors fetch (default is 1). Note that maximum SMP frame size is 1032 bytes (including a trailing 4 byte CRC) which may limit the number of descriptors that can be fetched to 62. -p, --phy=ID starting phy identifier. ID should be one of 0 (the default), 48 or 96. -r, --raw send the response to stdout in binary. All error messages are sent to stderr. -s, --sa=SAS_ADDR specifies the SAS address of the SMP target device. Typically this is an expander. This option may not be needed if the SMP_DEVICE has the target's SAS address within it. The SAS_ADDR is in decimal but most SAS addresses are shown in hexadecimal. To give a number in hexadecimal either prefix it with '0x' or put a trailing 'h' on it. -v, --verbose increase the verbosity of the output. Can be used multiple times -V, --version print the version string and then exit. CONFORMING TO
The SMP REPORT EXPANDER ROUTE TABLE LIST function was introduced in SAS-2 . AUTHORS
Written by Douglas Gilbert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2008 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
smp_utils, smp_rep_route_info smp_utils-0.93 January 2008 SMP_REP_EXP_ROUTE_TBL(8)