Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Poor resourece allocation (multi-user system) Post 51637 by dj_is on Wednesday 26th of May 2004 02:50:35 PM
Old 05-26-2004
Question Poor resourece allocation (multi-user system)

All,

I am an intermediate user, and am running SAS on a nice Solaris machine. However, even when top says that no other programs are running, the machine will only give me 5-7% processor power. Is this a configuration problem with SAS or the way the server is configured? Is there any way I can get more resources without bugging the admin? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Multi operation system in one pc.

Does anyone can write a thread to teach me how to install Windows 2000, RH Linux, and FreeBSD unix in one machine step by step? Or someone's already done with this topic? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is ‘nice’ command useful on a multi-CPU UNIX system?

Can someone tell me this. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xoxouu
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multi User Multi Task

Dear Experts Why we always hear that unix operating system is Multi User and Multi task. What does these two means. I have looked at some books and documents but couldn't find aclear explenation. Can we say Windows operating system is also multi user and multi task?? Thanks for your help in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
6 Replies

4. Solaris

stay in multi user mode but stop logins to system?

I want to apply patches in multiuser mode but stop logins of other users while I do it? What is the best way to do this? I will be connected to the system via a putty session over a serial cable from another system (console is messed up)... Should I put in a dummy passwd and shadow file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
7 Replies

5. Programming

dynamic allocation vs static allocation in c

i wrote a tiny version of tail command using a large buffer statically allocated but, in a second time, i found another version in which i use a bidimensional array dynamically allocated. here is the first version /*my tiny tail, it prints the last 5 line of a file */ #include<stdio.h>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasclaus
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a multi user input form

Hi All, Please ignore if terminology used is incorrect as I am new to Unix. I want to create a Multi user input form which looks something like this: ABCD TOOL Logged User: abcd12 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhu0007
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Four-Level multi-paging on x86 system with 64 bit addressing

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi all, I've got a huuuuuuge problem with understanding this new concept of multi-paging. I really tried to research but i could not find anything significant. I've been trying to understand this for 4 days and i cannot. The question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowboarder
0 Replies

8. Programming

HELP!!: CPU resource allocation between kernel modules and user mode process

Hi,all: I run my program which consists of one kernel module and one user mode process on a dual core server. The problem here is the kernel module consumes 100% of one core while the user mode process only consumes 10% of the other core, is there any solution that I can assign some computing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neyshule
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Block-based allocation and Extent-based allocation in Solaris

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's this figure about? (See the attached figure below.) This is a representation of block allocation filesystem and extent allocation filesystem in Solaris. Does this mean that in a block-based allocation, data are placed in individual blocks while in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
0 Replies
MFI(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    MFI(4)

NAME
mfi -- LSI MegaRAID SAS driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device mfi Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): mfi_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
This driver is for LSI's next generation PCI Express SAS RAID controllers. Access to RAID arrays (logical disks) from this driver is pro- vided via /dev/mfid? device nodes. A simple management interface is also provided on a per-controller basis via the /dev/mfi? device node. The mfi name is derived from the phrase "MegaRAID Firmware Interface", which is substantially different than the old "MegaRAID" interface and thus requires a new driver. Older SCSI and SATA MegaRAID cards are supported by amr(4) and will not work with this driver. Two sysctls are provided to tune the mfi driver's behavior when a request is made to remove a mounted volume. By default the driver will disallow any requests to remove a mounted volume. If the sysctl dev.mfi.%d.delete_busy_volumes is set to 1, then the driver will allow mounted volumes to be removed. A tunable is provided to adjust the mfi driver's behaviour when attaching to a card. By default the driver will attach to all known cards with high probe priority. If the tunable hw.mfi.mrsas_enable is set to 1, then the driver will reduce its probe priority to allow mrsas to attach to the card instead of mfi. HARDWARE
The mfi driver supports the following hardware: o LSI MegaRAID SAS 1078 o LSI MegaRAID SAS 8408E o LSI MegaRAID SAS 8480E o LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240 o LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260 o Dell PERC5 o Dell PERC6 o IBM ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA o IBM ServeRAID M1115 SAS/SATA o IBM ServeRAID M5015 SAS/SATA o IBM ServeRAID M5110 SAS/SATA o IBM ServeRAID-MR10i o Intel RAID Controller SRCSAS18E o Intel RAID Controller SROMBSAS18E FILES
/dev/mfid? array/logical disk interface /dev/mfi? management interface DIAGNOSTICS
mfid%d: Unable to delete busy device An attempt was made to remove a mounted volume. SEE ALSO
amr(4), pci(4), mfiutil(8) HISTORY
The mfi driver first appeared in FreeBSD 6.1. AUTHORS
The mfi driver and this manual page were written by Scott Long <scottl@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The driver does not support big-endian architectures at this time. BSD
July 15, 2013 BSD