Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: memory increasing on UNIX
Top Forums Programming memory increasing on UNIX Post 51548 by netfer on Monday 24th of May 2004 01:20:35 AM
Old 05-24-2004
Data memory increasing on UNIX

hi,

i'm writing a program that is running always...
but, i have a problem that memory is increasing..

i want to know whether does stack size inscease or not, when program is running..

i don't know what is the cause stack or heap...

i need some help.. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

memory increasing

On Alpha True64 UNIX platform, we use "ps aux" command to display the process information, it also displays the %MEM,VSZ, RRS field. The question is that which field really indicates the program's memeory is increasing, thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Obtain Memory on HP UNIX

Hi, Does anyone know an easy way of getting the memory usage on a UNIX box? I basically want to find the total % available/in use. Running vmstat gives me 'avm' and 'free' but come in bytes and not percents. Didn't see a switch in sar that just gave me the memory stats similar to Sun's -r... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonesin
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Increasing Filesize on HP-UX UNIX

Dear sir My hp-ux OS version is 11i (11.23) , and Oracle DB is 9i (9.2.0.6) the problem that I can't create any file (DB datafile , export Dump file , Rman backup pices.... etc) under the OS biger than 2 GB and the csh % limit check is %limit cputime unlimited filesize ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ae_nassar
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

UNIX memory problems

I don't know if this is better suited for the application section, but here goes. We are currently running HP-UX 11 as our database server. The database is Progress version 9.1C. As of late, some of our batch processes that run on the UNIX db server are erroring out because of what appear to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddiej
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to find the memory in HP-Unix?

Hi, I have a HP-Unix server, version B.11.23. Can someone tell me how to find out the physical memory & virtual memory (swap) in my server? & what is Page fault? & is there any limitation for page fault? Thank you. Your help is appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol21
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

var memory usage increasing

Hi all Just a couple days ago my /var/ partition was at 63% now its shot up to 83%. I checked my log file sizes and they same ok # ls -l |more total 38820 -rw-r----- 1 root root 3754 Aug 1 19:26 acpid drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Aug 24 04:11 admserv -rw------- ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcraul
28 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory utilization in HP unix

Hi, I am creating monitoring scripts in HP unix for that i need CPU utilization and memory utilization in HP unix. for CPU utilization i am using TOP command for Memory utilizaion i am not able to use glance command in scripts. means i am not able to redirect and stop. apart from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Memory

what is the difference between cached and buffer memory? can i use either buffer or cached memory if i want to run an application? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erin00
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extend memory in UNIX?

Hi friends iam new to unix. how to extend memory in UNIx. what are the possible scenarios to increase memory. I just noticed we have swap memory also but when and how to use it. and what is the correct way to increase RAM. please provide information or some useful commands. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saidesh
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Swap memory usage keeps increasing.

Hi the version is RedHat 6.2 (Oracle DB server) I don't know why swap memory usage keeps increasing... I used to check swap memory usage Free -m and another way. total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 32183 31861 322 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom8254
3 Replies
pthread_attr_setstackaddr(3)				     Library Functions Manual				      pthread_attr_setstackaddr(3)

NAME
pthread_attr_setstackaddr - Changes the stack address attribute of the specified thread attributes object. LIBRARY
DECthreads POSIX 1003.1c Library (libpthread.so) SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_attr_setstackaddr( pthread_attr_t *attr, void *stackaddr); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: IEEE Std 1003.1c-1995, POSIX System Application Program Interface PARAMETERS
Address of the thread attributes object whose stack address attribute is to be modified. New value for the stack address attribute of the thread attributes object specified by attr. DESCRIPTION
This routine uses the value specified in the stackaddr argument to set the stack address attribute of the thread attributes object speci- fied in the attr argument. When creating a thread, use a thread attributes object to specify nondefault values for thread attributes. The stack address attribute of a thread attributes object points to the origin of the stack for a new thread. The default value for the stack address attribute of an initialized thread attributes object is NULL. For your program to calculate a value for the stackaddr attribute, note that: Your program must allocate the memory that will be used for the new thread's stack. On Tru64 UNIX, to create a new thread using a thread attributes object, the stackaddr attribute must be an address that points to the high-memory end of the memory region allocated for the stack. This address must point to the highest even-boundary quad- word in the allocated memory region. Also note that: If you use the pthread_attr_setstackaddr(3) routine to set a thread attributes object's stack address attribute and use that attributes object to create a new thread, DECthreads ignores the attributes object's guard- size attribute and provides no thread stack guard area for the new thread. If you use the same thread attributes object to create more than one thread and each created thread uses a nondefault stack address, you must use the pthread_attr_setstackaddr(3) routine to set a unique stack address attribute value for each new thread created using that attributes object. NOTES
Correct use of this routine depends upon details of the target platform's stack architecture. Thus, this routine cannot be used in a por- table manner. The size of the stack must be at least PTHREAD_STACK_MIN bytes (see pthread.h). However, because DECthreads must use a portion of this stack memory to begin thread execution and to maintain thread state, your program's "user thread code" cannot rely on using all of the stack memory allocated. RETURN VALUES
If an error condition occurs, this routine returns an integer value indicating the type of error. Possible return values are as follows: Successful completion. ERRORS
None RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: pthread_attr_getguardsize(3), pthread_attr_getstackaddr(3), pthread_attr_getstacksize(3), pthread_attr_init(3), pthread_attr_setguardsize(3), pthread_attr_setstacksize(3), pthread_create(3) Manuals: Guide to DECthreads and Programmer's Guide delim off pthread_attr_setstackaddr(3)