Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quiet System for Maintenance
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Quiet System for Maintenance Post 5153 by michieka on Wednesday 8th of August 2001 07:10:12 AM
Old 08-08-2001
MySQL Good idea to stop database

I'm running the backup command. I can stop the database service/daemon before the backup starts and just restart it. I didn't think of that... thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are core files and how can I delete them when am performing system maintenance??

Help me How can I go about doing this. also, if you have any idea of other files I can delete and what I can do to improve the performance of a system thats running too slow (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System Maintenance

How do I go about doing this??? Is there something to it other than cleaning up useless files?? if you have knowledge concerning this, please give your suggestions also, is it possible or safe to compress an entire filesystem. how do you go about doing this??? any information is appreciated (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between "QUIET=${QUIET:-yes}" and "QUIET=yes"

Hi, Can anyone tell me the difference between QUIET=${QUIET:-yes} and QUIET=yes . Regards, akash (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
2 Replies

4. Solaris

svc:/system/filesystem/local is always in maintenance status

Hello Friends, I need to change network filesystem status as online but it always seems in maintenance mode, I appreciate your any suggestion to change its state as online. shell>svcadm enable svc:/system/filesystem/local shell>svcs -l svc:/system/filesystem/local fmri ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

5. Solaris

root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)

I have message "root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)" after Solaris 10 boots up. Why it appears ? thx for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System maintenance weekly job and welcome message

Since a few weeks I am playing with debian and now I have 2 questions. The first one: I want to create weekly a file to all user directories. I know that you have a cronjob to schedule it weekly. In this cronjob I have written the following line: df >> /home/%users/diskspace.txt I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iceqube
1 Replies

7. Solaris

System booting to maintenance mode

Hi Guys, I have a sunblade 1500. I booted the system and it booted to maintenance mode. How can I fix this? Thanks lots (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies

9. Red Hat

"rhgb quiet" controlling the display of commands in single user mode ?"rhgb quiet" controlling the d

Why does removing "rhgb quiet" from the kernel boot parameters control whether or not the commands I enter are displayed in single user mode ? For instance, if I do not remove "rhgb quiet", when I am in single user mode, whatever command I type will not be displayed on the screen. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
0 Replies
LN(1)									FSF								     LN(1)

NAME
ln - make links between files SYNOPSIS
ln [OPTION]... TARGET [LINK_NAME] ln [OPTION]... TARGET... DIRECTORY ln [OPTION]... --target-directory=DIRECTORY TARGET... DESCRIPTION
Create a link to the specified TARGET with optional LINK_NAME. If LINK_NAME is omitted, a link with the same basename as the TARGET is created in the current directory. When using the second form with more than one TARGET, the last argument must be a directory; create links in DIRECTORY to each TARGET. Create hard links by default, symbolic links with --symbolic. When creating hard links, each TARGET must exist. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. --backup[=CONTROL] make a backup of each existing destination file -b like --backup but does not accept an argument -d, -F, --directory hard link directories (super-user only) -f, --force remove existing destination files -n, --no-dereference treat destination that is a symlink to a directory as if it were a normal file -i, --interactive prompt whether to remove destinations -s, --symbolic make symbolic links instead of hard links -S, --suffix=SUFFIX override the usual backup suffix --target-directory=DIRECTORY specify the DIRECTORY in which to create the links -v, --verbose print name of each file before linking --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The backup suffix is `~', unless set with --suffix or SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX. The version control method may be selected via the --backup option or through the VERSION_CONTROL environment variable. Here are the values: none, off never make backups (even if --backup is given) numbered, t make numbered backups existing, nil numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise simple, never always make simple backups AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for ln is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and ln programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info ln should give you access to the complete manual. ln (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 LN(1)