Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Urgent answer needed, please: help with a text editor Post 51520 by sspirito on Saturday 22nd of May 2004 07:46:06 AM
Old 05-22-2004
I strongly suggest you to learn the VI editor.
VI it's a "must know" for all Unix users.
It works on all Unix and Linux vendors.
Have a look at this link for a list of VI commands:

http://www.chem.brown.edu/instructions/vi.html

The documentation is also available by typing
man vi
at the shell prompt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

urgent- please answer these set of questions

Hi, I have a few questions to be answered.Please help me out in this.Its urgent. 1) what does ' $* ' mean, what does it do ? 2) Command to change UNIX Password. 3) What is Daemon processes ? 4) How do u execute a Unix command or process in the background ? 5) What is nohup ? 6) Difference... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: uni_ajay_r
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

urgent answer these please

Hi, Please explain what does '$*' mean. what does the command cd /~abc do, especially what does '~' mean? cheers. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uni_ajay_r
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

editor needed?

Hi, I need to cut/copy/paste lines from one file to another in Uxix. what is the best way to do this? Should an editor be used, or can you use a command? Regards Russ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamrocks
1 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Urgent XP help needed Please

Hi, Please accept my apologies if I have not explained anything clearly enough but i am a little old on new lingo!!! I am running XP from home and last night the following happened. After being logged on for pretty much the full day, I had what seemed like a pop up come up. Although most pop... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nike1601
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help needed to delete some text without opening the file in unix

Hi To delete some text in 2 files in line1 ( not complete line) in unix without opening the files. For example: source file is like this <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT: Script/Function needed to read text property files in block wise

Hi, Iam in a need for a script/function in KSH where I want to read a text file (property file) in block by block. Here is the example: Heading Name Descripton Block Block1 Value1 Description Property Name Value Property Name Value Property Name Value Property Name Value Property Name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysreenivas
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Help Needed.

Hi, Below is my issue which I desperately need and I want a shell script which can do this job. I need this script as I m planning to put this for a system health check. Please assist me. 1. There are 10 log files in a particular location. 2. open each log file. Goto to the end of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kashriram
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need answer for these LINUX questions URGENT!!

I am very new to LINUX and could not find answer to these questions please submit your comments and suggestions to answer these questions. Appreciate your time thank you, :) If you look at the permissions associated with a symbolic link, it has universal access. Does this lead to security... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux17
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need answer for these LINUX questions URGENT!!

I am very new to LINUX and could not find answer to these questions please submit your comments and suggestions to answer these questions. Appreciate your time thank you, :) 1. Make sure there is no filename1.txt in current directory first. Now, enter vi with "vi filename1.txt" command. vi... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux17
4 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.18.2 2012-02-11 URI::URL(3)