Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to disable services
Operating Systems AIX how to disable services Post 51396 by tommy on Wednesday 19th of May 2004 09:56:12 AM
Old 05-19-2004
Hi,

you might want to disable those services from rc files under /etc directory.

Just use "grep <service> /etc/rc*" to figure out in which file service you want to disable is and use "#" to comment it out.

If the service is part of inetd, then you have to hack those "#" comments to /etc/inetd.conf file.

--Tommy

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disable/Enable HP print services SCO OS 5

We're running SCO Open Server 5. On occassion we need to disable/enable HP print services. There's nothing that I have found in the HP printer manager that allows for this. I know we can stop/start print services via SCOADMIN. On occassion one of our HP printers will generate an error, the msg in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sighbrrguy
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running services, how to disable some?

Hello all happy people! :) Iam trying to figure out how to disable running services, and witch i can disable. Iam running ssh,apache,ftp and identd. Here is an output from nmap: 21/tcp open ftp Solaris ftpd 22/tcp open ssh SunSSH 1.1 (protocol 2.0) 23/tcp ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: empty
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 8 how do I enable and disable services? (equivalent of chkconfig on Linux)

I've successfully installed syslog-ng and chkconfig using the packages from the OpenCSW project, these packages install under /opt/csw. I now need to disable the default syslog daemon and enable the new service created by the OpenCSW package (/etc/init.d/cswsyslog_ng). Is there any good way to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aussieos
3 Replies

4. SuSE

Script to disable services

Hi All, I want to disable bunch of unused services on SLES and RHEL to improve the performance. Since we have more than 100 servers to disable services, I want to do with some script. Any one can give me an idea how to write a script to disable services. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_linux
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable Enable/Disable Tab Key

Hi All, I have bash script, so what is sintax script in bash for Enable and Disable Tab Key. Thanks for your help.:( Thanks, Rico (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carnegiex
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to disable services ?

I would like to know how would i disable service which helps mounting of removable devices automatically? I dont want to disable mounting but i would like to disable automatic mounting of devices. I would like to do this as security major on one of our production server. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

SSL/TLS renegotiation DoS -how to disable? Is it advisable to disable?

Hi all Expertise, I have following issue to solve, SSL / TLS Renegotiation DoS (low) 222.225.12.13 Ease of Exploitation Moderate Port 443/tcp Family Miscellaneous Following is the problem description:------------------ Description The remote service encrypts traffic using TLS / SSL and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Restart of services if port no is changed in /etc/services in RHEL

I had a doubt if any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services in an RHEL setup is changed. For eg, the port no of 443 for SSL may need to be changed. I hope my query is clear whether any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services is changed. Please revert with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start services based on dependent services on other AIX machine

Hi, I just started working on a script. After my research, i found a command which can help me: AIM: To build a script which starts the services (Services 1) on server 1 automatically whenever its down. And it has a dependency on other service (Service 2) on Server 2. So my script has to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
4 Replies
PAM_TTY_AUDIT(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_TTY_AUDIT(8)

NAME
pam_tty_audit - Enable or disable TTY auditing for specified users SYNOPSIS
pam_tty_audit.so [disable=patterns] [enable=patterns] DESCRIPTION
The pam_tty_audit PAM module is used to enable or disable TTY auditing. By default, the kernel does not audit input on any TTY. OPTIONS
disable=patterns For each user matching one of comma-separated glob patterns, disable TTY auditing. This overrides any previous enable option matching the same user name on the command line. enable=patterns For each user matching one of comma-separated glob patterns, enable TTY auditing. This overrides any previous disable option matching the same user name on the command line. open_only Set the TTY audit flag when opening the session, but do not restore it when closing the session. Using this option is necessary for some services that don't fork() to run the authenticated session, such as sudo. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session type is supported. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SESSION_ERR Error reading or modifying the TTY audit flag. See the system log for more details. PAM_SUCCESS Success. NOTES
When TTY auditing is enabled, it is inherited by all processes started by that user. In particular, daemons restarted by an user will still have TTY auditing enabled, and audit TTY input even by other users unless auditing for these users is explicitly disabled. Therefore, it is recommended to use disable=* as the first option for most daemons using PAM. To view the data that was logged by the kernel to audit use the command aureport --tty. EXAMPLES
Audit all administrative actions. session required pam_tty_audit.so disable=* enable=root SEE ALSO
aureport(8), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_tty_audit was written by Miloslav Trma <mitr@redhat.com>. Linux-PAM Manual 04/01/2010 PAM_TTY_AUDIT(8)