Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automount
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Automount Post 51380 by hassan2 on Tuesday 18th of May 2004 04:08:55 PM
Old 05-18-2004
Automount

My site has a few sun solaris server including out NIS server and NFS server on solaris machines. we also have few suse linux and redhat linux machine.

All our home directory is on our NFS server(sun Solaris) and this is automounted through /etc/auto_master and /etc/auto_home this worked fine all our sun machine, so I can log on to any Sun machine and get my home directory but when I try logon to linux machine I get the following "Could not chdir to home directory /home/lion/staff/hassan: No such file or directory"

on my linux /var/log/messages I get the following
automount[30261]: attempting to mount entry /home/lion
humboldt automount[30306]: lookup(file): lookup for lion failed

my auto.home looks like this on linux just like my sun machines
+auto.home

my auto.master looks like
/- auto.home -rw,hard,intr,quota,nosuid,browse

Can you help? please. it works fine on Sun but not on any on my linux machines.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

automount

I install an external disk on my sun solaris 8 this went fine and I was able to access all filesystem on the disk. the new disk is mounted on /local then 6 hours later files under /local/files was 1 byte in size at the same time I received the following error message in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AutoMount

Hi All How do I do a auto mount to a directory in a different unix server. I am using Solaris. Please advise!! TIA Jana (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: janavenki
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

automount question

Hello, I was reading about automounting on Solaris10 and faced with the following sentence: "When the automount daemon is initialized on the server, no exported directories are mounted by the clients." What does it mean? Could you please explain? What is "exported directories" ? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automount issue

Folks; I'm mounting a directory on a different SUSE 10 server from my SUSE server fine. using this mount command: # mount 192.168.132.11:/var/local/new /var/local/new this command above works fine but when i added a new line to my "/etc/fstab" to be mounted automatically every time i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

automount script

I'm attempting to take an fstab that looks something like this: /proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0 /sys /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0 /dev/shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0 /dev/pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Automount in Solaris 10

Hi friends I'm a newbie trying to automount a nfs shared directory. Below is the configuration I'm using FreeBSD machine as NFS server. IP Address - 192.168.1.60 # cat /etc/exports /shared 192.168.1.50 Solaris 10 as NFS client. IP Address - 192.168.1.50 # cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajj
1 Replies

7. AIX

Help on Unconfiguring Automount

Hi All, Please help. I need an advise on how to Unconfigure automount please. Many Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EngnrRG
2 Replies

8. Linux

Automount problem

Hi, Please give step by step how to do automount in linux Thanks, Mani (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
9 Replies

9. Red Hat

Automount in RHEL

Hello experts, On my RHEL box when i mount a nfs file system using autofs, the df -t shows the file system as nfs only. For which mounts does it report the filesystem as autofs. ?? I actually want to see the filesystem getting reported as autofs instead of nfs. Pls guide me I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: achak01
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Need help with automount.. is not working!!

When i export the directory where the data really is, i can specify which hosts can mount it. On the remote server i create a mount point directory and then mount it to the source servers directory (that has the data). I need to run my script on Server X , i would login there and type in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkilaru
11 Replies
AUTOFS(5)							File Formats Manual							 AUTOFS(5)

NAME
autofs - Format of the automounter maps DESCRIPTION
The automounter maps are files or NIS maps referred to by the master map of the automounter (see auto.master(5)). The automounter maps describe how file systems below the mountpoint of the map (given in the auto.master file) are to be mounted. This describes the sun map format; if another map format is specified (e.g. hesiod), this documentation does not apply. Maps can be changed on the fly and the automouter will recognize those changes on the next operation it performs on that map. This is not true for the auto.master map! FORMAT
This is a description of the text file format. Other methods of specifying these files may exist. All empty lines or lines beginning with # are ignored. The basic format of one line in such maps is: key [-options] location key is the part of the pathname between the mountpoint and the path into the filesystem mounted. Usually you can think about the key as a sub- directory name below the mountpoint. options Options are optional. Options can also be given in the auto.master file in which case both values are cumulative (this is a difference from SunOS). The options are a list of comma separated options as customary for the mount(8) command. There is a special option -fstype= used to specify a filesystem type if the filesystem is not of the default NFS type. This option is processed by the automounter and not by the mount command. location The location specifies from where the file system is to be mounted. In the most cases this will be an NFS volume and the usual notation host:pathname is used to indicate the remote filesystem and path to be mounted. If the filesystem to be mounted begins with a / (such as local /dev entries or smbfs shares) a : needs to be prefixed (e.g. :/dev/sda1). EXAMPLE
kernel -ro,soft,intr ftp.kernel.org:/pub/linux boot -fstype=ext2 :/dev/hda1 windoze -fstype=smbfs ://windoze/c removable -fstype=ext2 :/dev/hdd cd -fstype=iso9660,ro :/dev/hdc floppy -fstype=auto :/dev/fd0 In the first line we have a NFS remote mount of the kernel directory on ftp.kernel.org. This is mounted read-only. The second line mounts an ext2 volume on a local ide drive. The third makes a share exported from a Windows machine available for automounting. The rest should be fairly self-explanatory. FEATURES
Map Key Substitution An & character in the location is expanded to the value of the key field that matched the line (which probably only makes sense together with a wildcard key). Wildcard Key A * in the key field matches all keys. An example for the usefulness is the following entry: * &:/home/& This will enable you to access all the home directory of local hosts using the path /mountpoint/hostname/local-path. Variable Substitution The following special variables will be substituted in the key and location fields of an automounter map if prefixed with $ as customary from shell scripts (Curly braces can be used to separate the fieldname): ARCH Architecture (uname -m) CPU Processor Type HOST Hostname (uname -n) OSNAME Operating System (uname -s) OSREL Release of OS (uname -r) OSVERS Version of OS (uname -v) Additional entries can be defined with the -Dvariable=Value option to automount(8). Executable Maps A map can be marked as executable. The init script that parses the auto.master map will pass this as a program map to the automounter. A program map will be called as a script with the key as an argument. The script needs to return one line of a map or no output at all if the key cannot be matched. To do this the automount(8) daemon has to be started with the program type insted of the file type. This is implemented in the initializa- tion script. A executable map can return an errorcode to indicate the failure in addition to no output at all. All output sent to stderr is logged into the system logs. UNSUPPORTED
The automounter does not support direct maps or mount trees (more than one filesystem to be mounted under a specific automount point), and handles SunOS-style replicated filesystems only to the extent that mount(8) does. SEE ALSO
automount(8), auto.master(5), autofs(8), mount(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christoph Lameter <chris@waterf.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Edited by H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com>. 6 Apr 1998 AUTOFS(5)