Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: View tape Info?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers View tape Info? Post 5112 by PxT on Tuesday 7th of August 2001 05:25:19 PM
Old 08-07-2001
If you just want to erase the data:

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/tape obs=x

Where x is the capacity of your tape in bytes. If you don't have /dev/random on your system (such as HP-UX), use /dev/null instead.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

? View A Backup Tape

I AM A NEWBIE PLEASE HELP!! IF YOU HAVE KSH YOU SHOULD USE A TAR COMMAND HOW DO YOU VIEW A TAPE WITH JUST AN SH. MY MIS CRASHED AND I KEEP GETTING AN ERROR MESSAGE CANNOT FORK: TOO MANY PROCESSES :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NOT A CLUE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

4. SCO

Tape Status shows 2 Hard errors and 5 Underruns on new tape

when I do a tape status /dev/rStp0 I get the following on a new tape and I have tried several: Status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors: 2 underruns: 5 My BackupEdge has stopped backing up my system because it asks for a new volume yet my total system data is under 20... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psytropic
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to view all files on DAT tape

I'm using tar and so far so good, but how can I view ALL files without having to fast forward and rewind the tape? Let's say I append 100 files onto the tape. Having to fast forward 100 times until I find the file I want is kinda tedious. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
3 Replies

6. AIX

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optimum
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: optimum
20 Replies

8. AIX

Ejecting tape on AIX & Some Tape commands

I am trying to use this command to eject the tape mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload but it gives me error mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload mt: 0511-575 unload is not a recognized subcommand. Usage: mt Subcommand Valid subcommands are: weof eof fsf bsf ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Moving from Desktop View to Mobile View

See attached video for a demo on how to move back and forth from the desktop view to the mobile view. Currently this only works for the home page, but I will work on some new PHP code in the future to make this work with the page we are currently on. Edit: The issue with making every page ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
MTIO(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   MTIO(4)

NAME
mtio -- generic magnetic tape I/O interface SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ioctl.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/mtio.h> DESCRIPTION
Magnetic tape has been the computer system backup and data transfer medium of choice for decades, because it has historically been cheaper in cost per bit stored, and the formats have been designed for portability and storage. However, tape drives have generally been the slowest mass storage devices attached to any computer system. Magnetic tape comes in a wide variety of formats, from classic 9-track, through various Quarter Inch Cartridge (QIC) variants, to more modern systems using 8mm video tape, and Digital Audio Tape (DAT). There have also been a variety of proprietary tape systems, including DECtape, and IBM 3480. UNIX TAPE I/O Regardless of the specific characteristics of the particular tape transport mechanism (tape drive), UNIX tape I/O has two interfaces: "block" and "raw". I/O through the block interface of a tape device is similar to I/O through the block special device for a disk driver: the indi- vidual read(2) and write(2) calls can be done in any amount of bytes, but all data is buffered through the system buffer cache, and I/O to the device is done in 1024 byte sized blocks. This limitation is sufficiently restrictive that the block interface to tape devices is rarely used. The "raw" interface differs in that all I/O can be done in arbitrary sized blocks, within the limitations for the specific device and device driver, and all I/O is synchronous. This is the most flexible interface, but since there is very little that is handled automatically by the kernel, user programs must implement specific magnetic tape handling routines, which puts the onus of correctness on the application program- mer. DEVICE NAME CONVENTIONS Each magnetic tape subsystem has a couple of special devices associated with it. The block device is usually named for the driver, e.g. /dev/st0 for unit zero of a st(4) SCSI tape drive. The raw device name is the block device name with an "r" prepended, e.g. /dev/rst0. By default, the tape driver will rewind the tape drive when the device is closed. To make it possible for multiple program invocations to sequentially write multiple files on the same tape, a "no rewind on close" device is provided, denoted by the letter "n" prepended to the name of the device, e.g. /dev/nst0, /dev/nrst0. The mt(1) command can be used to explicitly rewind, or otherwise position a tape at a particular point with the no-rewind device. FILE MARK HANDLING Two end-of-file (EOF) markers mark the end of a tape (EOT), and one end-of-file marker marks the end of a tape file. By default, the tape driver will write two End Of File (EOF) marks and rewind the tape when the device is closed after the last write. If the tape is not to be rewound it is positioned with the head in between the two tape marks, where the next write will over write the sec- ond end-of-file marker. All of the magnetic tape devices may be manipulated with the mt(1) command. A number of ioctl(2) operations are available on raw magnetic tape. Please see <sys/mtio.h> for their definitions. The manual pages for specific tape device drivers should list their particular capabilities and limitations. SEE ALSO
dd(1), mt(1), pax(1), tar(1), st(4), wt(4) HISTORY
The mtio manual appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The status should be returned in a device independent format. If and when NetBSD is updated to deal with non-512 byte per sector disk media through the system buffer cache, perhaps a more sane tape interface can be implemented. BSD
January 14, 1999 BSD