Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: directory searching
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting directory searching Post 51089 by st00pid_llama on Monday 10th of May 2004 06:56:44 PM
Old 05-10-2004
help

i have already got a thread, but i need to know the answer in the next couple of hours (2 am GMT max) could anyone who knows anything about directories being accessed in shell scripts please add me to MSN messenger #deleted# or mail me at #deleted# please

Carl

Last edited by Perderabo; 05-10-2004 at 08:16 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching for a string in directory

Hi, I have a directory with a couple of thousand logs in it. The log files are created every 5 minutes. I want to search these logs grep for a specific sting and more importantly print the name of the files where that sting was found. e.g. all logs begin om20020927 what I have been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: warrend
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Searching for a pattern in a Directory

How to search a given pattern in the files which are present in my current working directory and its subdirectories recursively (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for directory

Hi, I am new to Unix and am using csh to create a script where all files in a directory of a particular type are changed. As an example, if rename.csh tmp .tab .txt is entered at the command line, all of the .tab files in the tmp directory will be changed to .txt files. I have created the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enigma23
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching files in a directory.Urgent

Hi everyone, I need to search files starting with RPT_0, RPT_1,........ in a directory. How can I implement that through a shell script. Also I want to read the last line of each file after searching them. Can someone help me out in this regard. One more thing how I can extract a particular... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching each file in a directory for text

what command can i use to search the files in a directory for a text. the output would list the files containing the text. ive tried this but it is not exactly what im looking to do: find . -name "*.xml" -exec agrep searchstring {} \; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jim majors
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching directory tree

I'm currently trying to write a script that will do the following: search a given directory tree for a file with MMDDYYYY in the name. delete those files only. I can't figure out how to make the script delete the files with the MMDDYYYY in the filename after finding them. Should I export... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: blane
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Searching for files in a Directory

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will search in a particular directory and tell me how many files are in there. I then want to be able to email certain users of how many files are in that directory and what the file names are? any help would be great as i am getting confused. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching directory

The command is to search all the matched directory under $HOME, the input i directory is the last argument it works perfectly by itself but after a method call, it wont work cant figure out why dirNameCheck(){ for i in $* do test $1 done noMatch=`find HOME -type d -name $i |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cryogen
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file after searching in a directory

Hi, I am looking for an answer for following senario: I have a text file (base.txt) which consist list of files to be searched like: base.txt abc.txt def.txt fgh.txt Now i am going to search all the listed files in another directory after reading them one by one, once i found the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching the file in a directory

Hi Folks, I am using the putty as I need to check the logs, My query is that I know the location of my logs ..that is cd /var /logs/abc.log so I can reach to this place and open the logs in putty, But what About if I do not the location only thing I know the name of the abc.log , and I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KAREENA18
1 Replies
MIWM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MIWM(1)

NAME
miwm - a minimal appearance, full-function window manager SYNOPSIS
miwm DESCRIPTION
MIWM is Ben Wise's MInimal Window Manager. It is pronounced 'my whim'. The goal of miwm is to be a fully functional window manager, while retaining a very spare (Zen or Spartan, as you please) appearance and command-set. WARNING
This man page is VERY MUCH under construction. It is not complete, and blatantly contains leftover pieces of the man page I used as a tem- plate. Do not rely on anything you find here. COMMANDS
The notation for describing commands is that Mouse-1-frame means 'button 1 click on frame', C-Mouse-3-root means 'control button 3 click on root', Mouse-1-frame Raise. Mouse-2-frame Move. Mouse-2-root Select virtual workspace. Mouse-3-frame Hide. Filenames passed to miwm can be directories or deleted files. If a directory that is not deleted is passed to miwm, then the deleted files or directo- ries in it will be restored; if the recursive option is specified, then all deleted files or directories in any of its children will be restored as well. The shell wildcards * and ?, as well as shell brace notation using [ and ], are interpreted correctly by miwm. It is possible to pass wildcards to the program without the wildcards being intercepted by the shell by setting noglob (in csh) or by quoting the wildcards. To delete a file that actually has a wildcard in its name, you must precede the quoted wildcard with a quoted backslash. If no files are specified on the command line, miwm goes into interactive mode. In interactive mode, the user is prompted to enter files to be restored, one file per line. Typing a carriage return on an empty prompt line exits the program. Wildcards and quoting backslashes can be entered directly at the prompt without any shell interference (which is the main reason there is an interactive mode). OPTIONS
Miwm No command-line options. KNOWN BUGS
The code is too complicated. No icon support. SEE ALSO
9wm(1), aewm(1) AUTHOR
Ben Paul Wise RESTRICTIONS
Copyright (c) 1998-2003 by Ben Paul Wise. All rights reserved. MIWM(1) specifies the terms and conditions for redistribution. Ben Paul Wise 06 May 2003 MIWM(1)