Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: disaster recovery
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers disaster recovery Post 50944 by Optimus_P on Wednesday 5th of May 2004 05:59:18 PM
Old 05-05-2004
i just put together a DR plan and a hotsite.

i was giveing the following criteria:

1) assume i am dead.
2) someone w/ unix knowledge would be doing the work.
3) if its not in my directions then im SOL and the plan will not work.

i covered 3 things.

1) complete system rebuild
1a) this includes which installation to do.
1b) min disk space req.
1c) any additional packages (and where they can be found inet/cd...)

2) any NON solaris software required.
2a) any special options needed to install/compile with other then default settings.

3) a copy of my backup script and a copy of the output. (so when they do get my offsite backups they know which spot on the tape to get a specific fs from.)

This serves 2 purposes 1) they know how the backup was created so they know how to restore.
2) they know where data is on the tape, since i backup multiple fses to a single tape.

all of this now covers

1) how to install from scratch.
2) how to recover just the applications/user data.

i must say though i did have an advantage of being able to build my DR machine as i wrote the docs so i was able to document each step from start to finish.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Please Tell Me About Disaster Recovery

please tell me if this thinkin is correct, if not, please corret me: disaster recovery means when something bad happens and you need to retrieved a backed up file, all you have to do is cd into the tape drive and then look for the file you want and extract it from the drive. is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Template for Disaster Recovery

Hello, I am trying to make a disaster recovery of my Unix System. Is there a site where I can find template from Disaster Recovery Domain. So this can help me to have the principals chapter to make a good report. Thanks a lot ........ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disaster Recovery

Can anyone tell me of what to expect? I've been nominated to join a team of unix admins to do a DR testing. we already have the guys who are gono be doing the restores. besides the restore, anybody know what else to look forward to?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Disaster Recovery

Recovering Solaris to an alternate server I was just wondering if anyone could give me some points on restoring a Solaris 9 backup to an alternate server. Basically, we use netbackup 6 and I was wondering what the best procedures are for doing this? What things do we need to take into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron2k
3 Replies

5. AIX

AIX disaster recovery

Are there any products out there that provide a disk imaging solution for AIX (and HPUX and Solaris for that matter)? In a development environment where users are looking to restore an OS quickly back to a certain point in time, what is there available for this besides opening up the system,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tb0ne
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 using Flash Archive for Disaster Recovery

Hello everyone I am Kevin and new to this forum. I have encounter an issue I can't seem to resolve. I am currently using Solaris 8 02/04 on Sun V240 servers. I know how to create a flar image of the server and restore it using NFS (network server) or Local Tape (tape drive). What I need to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin1166
2 Replies

7. AIX

hacmp and disaster recovery question

Hi Guys, is it possible to failover a hacmp cluster in one datacentre via SRDF to a single node in another datacentre, or do I need a cluster there in any case? This is only meant as worst case scenario and my company doesn't want to spend more money than absolutely necessary. I know the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disaster Recovery - Help needed

We have a SCO OpenServer Unix server that has been damaged. Fortunately we have a good backup of the entire system (using BackupEdge.) On a new server, if we install SCO from original SCO CD's (we have all necessary activation codes) then drop the tape (we can restore with tar), will the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmhohne
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Disaster Recovery

Hi, I just want to throw something out there for opinions and viewpoints relating to a Disaster Recovery site. Besides the live production environment, do you think a DR environment should include: - pre-production environment - QA Environment ......or would this be considered to be OTT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
3 Replies
BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)					       AFS Command Reference					       BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)

NAME
       backup_restoredb - Restores a saved copy of the Backup Database

SYNOPSIS
       backup restoredb [-portoffset <TC port offset>]
	   [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help]

backup res [-p <TC port offset>]
	   [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The backup restoredb command restores to the Backup Server machine's local disk a version of the Backup Database previously written to tape
       by using the backup savedb command.

(If the "FILE YES" instruction appears in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file associated with the specified port offset, then
       the backup restoredb command restores data from the backup data file listed for that port offset in the Tape Coordinator's
       /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, instead of from tape. For the sake of clarity, the following text refers to tapes only, but the
       Backup System handles backup data files in much the same way.)

The most common reason to run this command is to replace a corrupted or otherwise damaged Backup Database; use the backup dbverify command
       to determine the database's status. The command can also be used to restore records that were removed from the database when the -archive
       argument was included on a previous backup savedb command.

The command completely overwrites the existing Backup Database records for volume sets, Tape Coordinators, and the dump hierarchy with the
       corresponding information from the saved version. It does not overwrite existing dump records, but instead interleaves the records from the
       copy being restored. If both the existing database (on the Backup Server machine's disk) and the copy being restored include a record about
       the same dump, the Backup System retains the one in the existing database.

The Tape Coordinator's default response to this command is to access the first tape it needs by invoking the "MOUNT" instruction in the
       local /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file, or by prompting the backup operator to insert the tape if there is no "MOUNT"
       instruction. However, if the "AUTOQUERY NO" instruction appears in the CFG_device_name file, or if the issuer of the butc command included
       the -noautoquery flag, the Tape Coordinator instead expects the tape to be in the device already. If it is not, or is the wrong tape, the
       Tape Coordinator invokes the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts the operator. It also invokes the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts for any
       additional tapes needed to complete the restore operation; the backup operator must arrange to provide them.

CAUTIONS
       If the database is corrupted, do not attempt to restore a saved database on top of it. Instead, use the instructions for repairing a
       corrupted database in the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter about performing backup operations.

OPTIONS
       -portoffset <TC port offset>
	   Specifies the port offset number of the Tape Coordinator handling the tapes for this operation.

-localauth
	   Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to
	   the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more
	   details, see backup(8).

-cell <cell name>
	   Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8).

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

EXAMPLES
       The following example shows the Backup Database being restored from the Tape Coordinator with port offset 0:

% backup restoredb

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged
       onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included.

SEE ALSO
       butc(5), backup(8), backup_dbverify(8), backup_savedb(8), butc(8)

The OpenAFS Administration Guide at <http://docs.openafs.org/AdminGuide/>.

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26						       BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)