Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslog question
Operating Systems AIX syslog question Post 50758 by kduffin on Saturday 1st of May 2004 05:15:01 AM
Old 05-01-2004
That seems like odd behavior. I've not been able to duplicate the behavior yet on my AIX system. Have you tried running syslog in debug mode (-d). It will output any errors etc. to stdout.

Thanks,

Keith

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Well, im getting it, but i have ONE question

Hay everyone, i would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who helped me make the decision to get a linux distro. As a newbie, Im defininately considering buying Mandrake Linux... I went to the site and phew..... 2300 applications, i think ill have a good time. But i do have a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LolapaloL
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another question regarding yes

I have a program that takes two responses, for example: ./eatfruit <stdout> Enter fruit: Do you want to eat fruit?: <end stdout> If I do this yes banana ./eatfruit <stdout> Enter fruit: banana (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj78
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while question/help?

I have 3 files in a directory. The files are named as below MSDOS PCDOS filename.txt The file filename.txt contains the following 1 line *****DOS When I run the following while loop I get the following output while read r do echo $r done < filename.txt Output is MSDOS PCDOS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gmatsoon
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 10 question on syslog.conf file

Hi, I have a question on /etc/syslog.conf file in Solaris 10. Below is a line taken from /etc/syslog.conf file and I know that the last field (operator) is where the logs gets outputted but how do I find out what the output file name format is going to be and which directory it gets outputted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevefox
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Where should I ask my question?

Hello, all I found you folks by doing searches on linux bash scripting From time-to-time I'm hoping to get help from the experts here. I'm technically competent enough with Windows to run my own Tech-Support business, but I am fairly lightwieght in Linux. Over the last 3-4 years I've... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tovian
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf?

Hi Community Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf i have put *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.alert;user.emerg;kern.notice;auth.notice;kern.warning @172.16.200.50 and it's not going through.giving error message like below: syslogd:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
2 Replies

8. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
LOGGER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOGGER(1)

NAME
logger -- make entries in the system log SYNOPSIS
logger [-is] [-f file] [-p pri] [-t tag] [message ...] DESCRIPTION
Logger provides a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module. Options: -i Log the process id of the logger process with each line. -s Log the message to standard error, as well as the system log. -f file Log the specified file. -p pri Enter the message with the specified priority. The priority may be specified numerically or as a ``facility.level'' pair. For example, ``-p local3.info'' logs the message(s) as informational level in the local3 facility. The default is ``user.notice.'' -t tag Mark every line in the log with the specified tag. message Write the message to log; if not specified, and the -f flag is not provided, standard input is logged. The logger utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
logger System rebooted logger -p local0.notice -t HOSTIDM -f /dev/idmc SEE ALSO
syslog(3), syslogd(8) STANDARDS
The logger utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). 4.3 Berkeley Distribution June 6, 1993 4.3 Berkeley Distribution