Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: efficiency..
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting efficiency.. Post 50632 by RTM on Wednesday 28th of April 2004 10:38:58 AM
Old 04-28-2004
Must have been this:
$userinfo=`/usr/bin/grep $id /etc/passwd`;

So how do you do it in Perl ? I haven't done that much in Perl and found it rather weird that it always seemed that you had to use UNIX commands to get info - I have Perl scripts that I could have done in ksh and only kept in Perl for a bit of understanding of it.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: code efficiency for gmtime

I have the following Perl snippet: # get datetime @dt = gmtime(); $strdate = 1900 + $dt . addleadingzero(++$dt) . addleadingzero($dt) . addleadingzero($dt) . addleadingzero($dt) . addleadingzero($dt); # write to file $outfile = $strdate . ".txt"; getstore($url, $outfile) or die "Error:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve program efficiency (awk)

Hi !! I've finished an awk exercise. Here it is: #!/bin/bash function calcula { # Imprimimos el mayor tamaño de fichero ls -l $1 | awk ' BEGIN { max = $5; # Inicializamos la variable que nos guardará el máximo con el tamaño del primer archivo } { if ($5 > max){ #... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phass
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

The efficiency between GREP and SED???

Hello Everyone! I am a newbie. I'd like to get key lines from a big txt file by Reg Exp, The file is nearly 22MB. GREP or SED?which may be the best choice,more efficient way? or any other best practise? Thank you in advance. Ever:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ever
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File or Folder Efficiency?

I've got this program set up so that it creates files whose unique names specify the jobs their contents describe. In order to retrieve the information inside those files, I have to do a "grep" and awk or sed to extract it. I've just assumed that making a directory with that unique name that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gmark99
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About efficiency of parallel memory allocation

Hello, there. I'm a new beginner to Linux kernel and curious about its memory management. When multiple applications apply for memory space at the same time, how Linux kernel solve the resource contending problem for high performance? I have known that there is a buddy system for allocating and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackwall
4 Replies
SIBLINGS(3PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4						    SIBLINGS(3PVM)

NAME
pvm_siblings - return the number and associated task ids of processes that were started together in a single spawn call. SYNOPSIS
C int ntids = pvm_siblings( int **tids ) Fortran call pvmfsiblings( ntids, index, sibling ) PARAMETERS
ntids Returns the number of tids that were spawned together. Value less than 0 indicates an error. tids Pointer to the array of tids that contains the siblings. Indexed from 0 to (ntids - 1) index Integer index of tid to be returned in sibling. If index is set to -1, then sibling is unchanged. Otherwise, must be in the range [0, ntids - 1] sibling When index is in the range [0, ntids -1], this contains the tid of the desired index. DESCRIPTION
The routine pvm_siblings returns the number of tasks and a list of task ids of processes that were spawned together in a single spawn call. The spawning task multicasts the list of successful to the spawned tasks so that each task has an identical copy of the sibling list. pvm_siblings uses local storage to keep the list of tids and does not update this list when sibling tasks exit the virtual machine. The FORTRAN version allows calling programs read a particular index in the internal sibling array. If pvm_siblings is successful, ntids will be > 0. If some error occurs then ntids will be < 0. pvm_siblings is designed to simplify the logic in static spmd-style programs. By giving tasks an identical list of tids and its size, pro- grams may self size and treat the sibling as static map between instances and tasks. The internal list is not updated when sibling tasks exit the virtual machine and should be treated as a snapshot of the parallel program when it was first started. If a task was started by pvm_spawn, then pvm_siblings will return ntids = 1 and ntids = 1 and tids will contain a single entry identical to the task id returned by pvm_mytid() EXAMPLES
C: int *tids; ntids = pvm_siblings(&tids); Fortran: INTEGER TIDS(0:MAXNPROC) CALL PVMFSIBLINGS(NTIDS, -1, IDUM) DO I = 0, NTIDS-1 CALL PVMFSIBLINGS(NTIDS, I, TIDS(I)) ERRORS
pvm_siblings can return the following error codes PvmNoTask No task at that index, or index is invalid. SEE ALSO
pvm_spawn(3PVM), pvm_mytid(3PVM), pvm_parent(3PVM) 26 June, 1997 SIBLINGS(3PVM)