Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX 4.1.5 Hard Drive Trouble
Operating Systems AIX AIX 4.1.5 Hard Drive Trouble Post 50434 by Optimus_P on Friday 23rd of April 2004 01:05:31 PM
Old 04-23-2004
i dont have aix 4.1.x so all the below info is for aix 4.3.x mabey it can help.

how many drives do you have in the machine? i assume 10.

i am also assumeing:
1) you installed all the disks and ran cfgmgr
2), and you allocated the disks to a volume group
3), and create logical volumes
4), and then mounted them?

you can use commands like lspv to find out all the physical volumes installed.

Code:
2) Create volume groups
#mkvg -y "vgname" hdiskn; varyonvg vgname
#EXAMPLE: mkvg -t 8 -y "vg1" hdisk1 hdisk2 ...; varyonvg vg1

3) create all nessary Logical Volumes
#mklv -y'LOGICAL_VOLUME_NAME' -c'2' <LV_NAME> <SIZE_IN_PHYSICAL_PARTITIONS> <DISK_TO_USE> <MIRROR_DISK>
# Create a FS for the Logical volume
#crfs -v jfs -l lvname -m /mountdir -A yes
#EXAMPLE: mklv -y'lv03' -c'2' appvg 32 hdisk1 hdisk2

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reading the hard drive

I have suns machine that holds two hard drives. I only used one. I tryed to make a lan network with my windows xp. When I tryed to restart the machine it wanted to a password. when before I just typed root to log in. So i edited the etc dir. big mistake. So now the machine will not read the hard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: victbla
2 Replies

2. SCO

Processor and Hard Drive

I trying to learn Unix and I am using SCO Unixware 7.1. Below are three question that I have: 1) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out the system processor speed. 2) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out what's the hard drive size of my unix box. 3) Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etaup02
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble mounting tape drive with Lynx OS

I'm trying to mount tape drive so I can tar from a cd. this is what i type: mount /dev/rsd2940.4 /mnt this is what i get: mount /dev/rsd2940.4 on /mnt : Block device required I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. It's my understanding that rsd2940.4 is the block device. An... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nic_stersic
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing hard drive

Hi, Can someone answer to my question.I' totally new to Unix. What is the command for removing the hard drive from the system? Thanks a lot, Puja (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujathakral
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Using the rest of my hard drive

Hi When I installed opensolaris, I installed it on a 20GB partition. How do I make use of the other 300GB I have spare? format shows:- -bash-3.2# format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c3d0 <DEFAULT cyl 2607 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellotommy
12 Replies

8. Red Hat

Hard drive formating

Im trying to install a fresh version of Fedora 17. I keep getting formating errors when trying to reformat the hard drive. I recieve errors as well I I try to use the entire disk for the install instead of creat new partitions from scratch. I even tried fromatting the disk using PartedMagic and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

External hard drive

I have connected an external hard drive. I can't find it. Both ls /media, fdisk -l and ls /dev show nothing. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
VGREDUCE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       VGREDUCE(8)

NAME
vgreduce - reduce a volume group SYNOPSIS
vgreduce [-a|--all] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--removemissing] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName [Physi- calVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgreduce allows you to remove one or more unused physical volumes from a volume group. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. -a, --all Removes all empty physical volumes if none are given on command line. --removemissing Removes all missing physical volumes from the volume group, if there are no logical volumes allocated on those. This resumes normal operation of the volume group (new logical volumes may again be created, changed and so on). If this is not possible (there are logical volumes referencing the missing physical volumes) and you cannot or do not want to remove them manually, you can run this option with --force to have vgreduce remove any partial LVs. Any logical volumes and dependent snapshots that were partly on the missing disks get removed completely. This includes those parts that lie on disks that are still present. If your logical volumes spanned several disks including the ones that are lost, you might want to try to salvage data first by acti- vating your logical volumes with --partial as described in lvm (8). SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgextend(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGREDUCE(8)