Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users read permission but cant ls -l it. Post 50424 by Perderabo on Friday 23rd of April 2004 11:28:06 AM
Old 04-23-2004
Instead of x meaning search, think of it as "use" a directory.

With r permission only, you can list the files in a directory but you can't open them or stat them. And you can't cd to the directory either. The directory is reduced to being just a list filenames. It has sorta lost the special status that directories have.

With x permission only, you can cd to a directory but you can't list the files. If you happen to know a filename, you can open (file permissions allowing) or stat that file.

By the way, stat'ing a file is required for ls -l. stat'ing a file is also how "ls" gets an inode number. So "ls -i" needs x permission as well.

I don't think it makes sense to give a user just r or x on a directory. With me, it's always both or none.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read Permission

How can view the list of only those files & directories which have read permission..! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetrocks2005
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission file questions--Please read!!!

1. I have an executable file that I have granted the users full permission "777" for it to work. I don't want the user to read this file! How can I prevent a user to read it? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

give permission to read a file

I want to give tester only the account tester to view the file /var/mail/root nobody else but him and of course the owner root w/o changing the permisions of /var/mail/root -rw-------. $ cat /var/mail/root cat: /var/mail/root: Permission denied (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CHMOD....read only permission

After creating a user account...how do i verify if theres only read access on the account. If not read access would i enter chmod a-xw "username"? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Lost Read permission on my folder

Hi I am a normal user on a HP-UX system which is meant for a large group. There are few directories which I think i am owner of. (Name of these directories is same as my username, and I usually have all the permissions in these directories). I was trying to give read and execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grvs
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check read/write/execute permission for 'others'

I want to check access rights permissions not for 'user', not for 'group', but for 'others'. I want to do it by system command in which i want to use 'ls -l' and 'awk' command. I have written the following program : #!/usr/bin/local/perl #include <stdlib.h> system ("ls -l | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhamsachdeva
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

how to make others have read/write permission when the aotu mounted usb flash disk pluge in ?

hi all: as we know , when usb flash disk plug in and aotu mounted , the default permission of the usb flash disk is 700. that means others have no permission . the question: how to make others have read/write permission when the aotu mounted usb flash disk pluge in ? thanks !! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arnold.king
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Read Only Permission after the space is full.

Hi, Is there any chance that a file system that mounted on the server becomes read only when the space in that file system becomes full? Regards, Sreejith (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith K
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find list of files missing read & execute permission

Hi, I'm writing a post-upgrade script and I want to find which files don't have read and execute to everyone. I can run a find . ! -perm, but then I have to use a list of the possible permissions (777,775, 755 etc). Is there a more elegant solution? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Catullus
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Checking if the directory has read and write permission

logMsg='Started by '${USER} LOG_MESSAGE "${logMsg}" resultCode=$? if ]; then return ${resultCode} fi touch ${FILELISTPATH} resultCode=$? if ]; then logMsg='failed to create file list:'${FILELISTPATH} LOG_ERROR "${logMsg}" CUSTOM_PREPROCESS ${FATAL} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka123
2 Replies
stat.h(3HEAD)							      Headers							     stat.h(3HEAD)

NAME
stat.h, stat - data returned by stat system call SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> DESCRIPTION
The system calls stat, lstat and fstat return data in a stat structure, which is defined in <stat.h>. The constants used in the st_mode field are also defined in this file: #define S_IFMT /* type of file */ #define S_IAMB /* access mode bits */ #define S_IFIFO /* fifo */ #define S_IFCHR /* character special */ #define S_IFDIR /* directory */ #define S_IFNAM /* XENIX special named file */ #define S_INSEM /* XENIX semaphore subtype of IFNAM */ #define S_INSHD /* XENIX shared data subtype of IFNAM */ #define S_IFBLK /* block special */ #define S_IFREG /* regular */ #define S_IFLNK /* symbolic link */ #define S_IFSOCK /* socket */ #define S_IFDOOR /* door */ #define S_ISUID /* set user id on execution */ #define S_ISGID /* set group id on execution */ #define S_ISVTX /* save swapped text even after use */ #define S_IREAD /* read permission, owner */ #define S_IWRITE /* write permission, owner */ #define S_IEXEC /* execute/search permission, owner */ #define S_ENFMT /* record locking enforcement flag */ #define S_IRWXU /* read, write, execute: owner */ #define S_IRUSR /* read permission: owner */ #define S_IWUSR /* write permission: owner */ #define S_IXUSR /* execute permission: owner */ #define S_IRWXG /* read, write, execute: group */ #define S_IRGRP /* read permission: group */ #define S_IWGRP /* write permission: group */ #define S_IXGRP /* execute permission: group */ #define S_IRWXO /* read, write, execute: other */ #define S_IROTH /* read permission: other */ #define S_IWOTH /* write permission: other */ #define S_IXOTH /* execute permission: other */ The following macros are for POSIX conformance (see standards(5)): #define S_ISBLK(mode) block special file #define S_ISCHR(mode) character special file #define S_ISDIR(mode) directory file #define S_ISFIFO(mode) pipe or fifo file #define S_ISREG(mode) regular file #define S_ISSOCK(mode) socket file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
stat(2), types.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 30 Aug 2002 stat.h(3HEAD)