Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: swap partition?
Operating Systems Linux swap partition? Post 50394 by TioTony on Friday 23rd of April 2004 01:09:40 AM
Old 04-23-2004
I believe linux will use some space in / for swap if you delete the swap partition but I haven't tried it. Basically swap can be thought of as extra RAM, but on disk. Lets say you have 1 GB of RAM but you are running a database that needs 2 GB of RAM. You can use 1 GB of actual RAM and 1 GB of SWAP. Without going into to much of a discussion on swap space, typically you want to avoid using your swap space because it is a huge performance degradation to your system. Think of how fast RAM is compared to disk. If you are basically using a disk in place of RAM your system is going to run much slower.

When you use swap, the memory chunks (called pages) that are not in use are written to disk. When the application needs them again they are read from disk back to RAM and other pages are written to the disk if more RAM space is needed.

I hope that makes sense.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Swap Partition

How big do I set the swap partition when i'm setting up my hard drive to install RedHat. (Using Partition Magic) thanks! primal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Windows Fat32 Swap partition.

I run a dual boot WinXP/Red Hat 8 system on my laptop. Since my hard drive is inherently small(laptop) I am trying to creat a swap partition for keeping mutually used files such as music/video etc... I have created a 2.5GB Fat32 partition with Partition Magic Pro and have windows recognizing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
2 Replies

4. Linux

How to give UUID to a swap partition?

Dear Folks Is there anyway to give a UUID to a swap partition? mkswap on CentOS 5 (util-linux-2.13-0.45.el5_1.1) appears to override this option ;-( # swapoff -a # mkswap -L swap1 /dev/sda3 Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 4293591 kB LABEL=swap1, no uuid And there's no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
3 Replies

5. Solaris

swap partition showing mounted in df -h

Dear All Anyone can help me what is the problem of swap partition? swap partition is showing mounted in df -h command output. Regards prakash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pshelke
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition 1 swap not mounting ?

Hi, running mount, I get the following, no part1 swap as part1 swap has been created and is listed below. System works fine anyway. As I cannot unmount part1, what is a standard procedure to make part1 on. Jack ============= .. $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of swap partition during installation

Greetings. I've been into computers since the '80s, but this is my first attempt at Linux. I'm installing Debian Lenny on a PIII 733 with 10GB hard drive and 512MB Ram. I intend to use the machine primarily as a development server, with things like mySQL, Apache, php, etc. I don't really want... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: fguy
22 Replies

8. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Could I mount a swap/dump partition on /tmp?

Hey Guys. Let show our disk-mapping structure on HP-UX B11.11 with df : # df /home (/dev/vg00/lvol5 ): 18979652 blocks 1224395 i /opt (/dev/vg00/lvol4 ): 120276192 blocks 1894100 i /var (/dev/vg00/lvol6 ): 19380328 blocks ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggadtech08
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
bcopy(9F)						   Kernel Functions for Drivers 						 bcopy(9F)

NAME
bcopy - copy data between address locations in the kernel SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> void bcopy(const void *from, void *to, size_t bcount); INTERFACE LEVEL
Architecture independent level 1 (DDI/DKI). PARAMETERS
from Source address from which the copy is made. to Destination address to which copy is made. bcount The number of bytes moved. DESCRIPTION
bcopy() copies bcount bytes from one kernel address to another. If the input and output addresses overlap, the command executes, but the results may not be as expected. Note that bcopy() should never be used to move data in or out of a user buffer, because it has no provision for handling page faults. The user address space can be swapped out at any time, and bcopy() always assumes that there will be no paging faults. If bcopy() attempts to access the user buffer when it is swapped out, the system will panic. It is safe to use bcopy() to move data within kernel space, since kernel space is never swapped out. CONTEXT
bcopy() can be called from user or interrupt context. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Copying data between address locations in the kernel: An I/O request is made for data stored in a RAM disk. If the I/O operation is a read request, the data is copied from the RAM disk to a buffer (line 8). If it is a write request, the data is copied from a buffer to the RAM disk (line 15). bcopy() is used since both the RAM disk and the buffer are part of the kernel address space. 1 #define RAMDNBLK 1000 /* blocks in the RAM disk */ 2 #define RAMDBSIZ 512 /* bytes per block */ 3 char ramdblks[RAMDNBLK][RAMDBSIZ]; /* blocks forming RAM /* disk ... 4 5 if (bp->b_flags & B_READ) /* if read request, copy data */ 6 /* from RAM disk data block */ 7 /* to system buffer */ 8 bcopy(&ramdblks[bp->b_blkno][0], bp->b_un.b_addr, 9 bp->b_bcount); 10 11 else /* else write request, */ 12 /* copy data from a */ 13 /* system buffer to RAM disk */ 14 /* data block */ 15 bcopy(bp->b_un.b_addr, &ramdblks[bp->b_blkno][0], 16 bp->b_bcount); SEE ALSO
copyin(9F), copyout(9F) Writing Device Drivers WARNINGS
The from and to addresses must be within the kernel space. No range checking is done. If an address outside of the kernel space is selected, the driver may corrupt the system in an unpredictable way. SunOS 5.10 4 August 2003 bcopy(9F)