Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: signal stack SA_ONSTACK
Top Forums Programming signal stack SA_ONSTACK Post 50302 by md7ahuja on Wednesday 21st of April 2004 01:59:49 AM
Old 04-21-2004
signal stack SA_ONSTACK

Hi Everybody,

Can anybody give me an pratical example where we can use SA_ONSTACK flag in sigaction() system call ?

Please explain me the significance of having an alternate signal stack in UNIX for signal handling.

Regards
Dinesh-Ahuja

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Signal Problem

I am using the signal function, and passing it a function named quit procedure...I get the following warning.... passing arg2 of signal from incompatible pointer type... void quit_procedure(void); //this is the way i define my prototype... signal(SIGINT, quit_procedure); Please guide... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacques83
5 Replies

2. Programming

what is stack winding and stack unwinding

helo can u tell me what do you mean by stack winding and stack unwinding Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

3. Programming

problem with signal()

#include<signal.h> void suicide(); main() { printf("use CTRL \\ for exiting \n"); //signal(SIGINT,SIG_DFL); signal(SIGQUIT,suicide); for (;;); } void suicide() { printf("hello here you r in the suicide code "); } i was just starting with signals .. and tried this ,, but in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: narendra.pant
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killed by signal 15.

Hi all I have Master script, Main script ,and 4 Child script. Master.sh #!/bin/bash /export/home/user/Main.shMain.sh #!/bin/bash /export/home/user/Child1.sh & /export/home/user/Child2.sh & /export/home/user/Child3.sh & /export/home/user/Child4.sh &I run only Master.sh script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: almanto
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need more user signal

Hi In my program I have already used both SIGUSR1 SIGUSR2 user signals. I need another one. How can I do that? Thank you Naama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naamabm
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to block signal

I have this code that doesnt do what it is suppose to do. It should block signal that I send while process is running. I press control+z while this process is running and it should be blocked but it isnt. When i press control+z it gives me this.... + Stopped When I change SIGTSP into SIGINT then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
5 Replies

7. Programming

queue a signal

A program have to receive signals and work agreed with it, but the process have to receive more than one signal when it is attending other. Those have to be queued to be attended later recived. how can i do that? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmaster
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Stack vs User Mode Stack

Hi, I am new to the linux kernel development area. I want to know what is the difference between kernel mode stack and user mode stack? Does each process has a user mode stack and a kernel mode stack?? Or Each process has a user mode stack and there is only one kernel mode stack that is shared by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkoar
4 Replies
stack_violation(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 				       stack_violation(3C)

NAME
stack_violation - determine stack boundary violation event SYNOPSIS
#include <ucontext.h> int stack_violation(int sig, const siginfo_t *sip, const ucontext_t *ucp); DESCRIPTION
The stack_violation() function returns a boolean value indicating whether the signal, sig, and accompanying signal information, sip, and saved context, ucp, represent a stack boundary violation event or a stack overflow. RETURN VALUES
The stack_violation() function returns 0 if the signal does not represent a stack boundary violation event and 1 if the signal does repre- sent a stack boundary violation event. ERRORS
No errors are defined. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Set up a signal handler to run on an alternate stack. The following example sets up a signal handler for SIGSEGV to run on an alternate signal stack. For each signal it handles, the handler emits a message to indicate if the signal was produced due to a stack boundary violation. #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <ucontext.h> #include <signal.h> static void handler(int sig, siginfo_t *sip, void *p) { ucontext_t *ucp = p; const char *str; if (stack_violation(sig, sip, ucp)) str = "stack violation. "; else str = "no stack violation. "; (void) write(STDERR_FILENO, str, strlen(str)); exit(1); } int main(int argc, char **argv) { struct sigaction sa; stack_t altstack; altstack.ss_size = SIGSTKSZ; altstack.ss_sp = malloc(SIGSTKSZ); altstack.ss_flags = 0; (void) sigaltstack(&altstack, NULL); sa.sa_sigaction = handler; (void) sigfillset(&sa.sa_mask); sa.sa_flags = SA_ONSTACK | SA_SIGINFO; (void) sigaction(SIGSEGV, &sa, NULL); /* * The application is now set up to use stack_violation(3C). */ return(0); } USAGE
An application typically uses stack_violation() in a signal handler that has been installed for SIGSEGV using sigaction(2) with the SA_SIG- INFO flag set and is configured to run on an alternate signal stack. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), sigaltstack(2), stack_getbounds(3C), stack_inbounds(3C), stack_setbounds(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 18 Jul 2002 stack_violation(3C)