Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Where did my programs go?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where did my programs go? Post 5010 by Neo on Monday 6th of August 2001 07:09:20 PM
Old 08-06-2001
Try reading and understanding how to use the find command on your UNIX platform. This command is how UNIX people locate files. It is very powerful and when you learn to use it, it will not be necessary to ask questions like where is this and that file?. find is a tool you will benefit greatly if you learn to use.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris programs

Greetings, I have installed the Solaris 10 in my computer, this system is really interesting, and where I can find more free programs for download to install? Anyone knows? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FBorges22
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell programs

how to write pipe for finding out the login names and login time of the users whose login name begins with p. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameshparsa
1 Replies

3. Debian

Uninstalling programs?

How can I uninstall a program the most efficient way? So that I get rid of all the man pages etc. too? I'm running debian. /Richard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riwa
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Programs

Hello, I have a simple question. How do make it so i can lauch a program from the shell. For instance I want to install firefox 2 and I wanna launch it with ff2 in the terminal, so i tried this to my .bashrc file: alias ff2='/path/./firefox' and its not working as I would hope. anywho,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SeamusHC
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with calling programs

Hi. I have a problem in running a program in linux system. This program (damaver.l86) is in the path /home/shenk/damaver/, and it needs to call another program (supcomb.l86) in another path /home/shenk/supcomb/. I tried to modified the .bash_profile, but it didn't work. The error message is always... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shenk
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Are programs like sys_open( ) ,sys_read( ) et al examples of system level programs ?

Are the programs written on schedulers ,thread library , process management, memory management, et al called systems programs ? How are they different from the programs that implement functions like open() , printf() , scanf() , read() .. they have a prefix sys_open, sys_close, sys_read etc , right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Installation of programs

I have installed a program and put the stuff on /usr/local/ However when I run a script it gives an error GMT Fatal Error: /home/chrisd/Dimech/GMT4.5.2/share/PS_font_info.d: No such file or directory (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting Programs

Hi does anyone know some good shell scripting programs, like visual studio for C++/C#? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
8 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Replacement programs

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and some of my programs no longer work. I need a good DVD ripper/encoder. I was using Handbrake and Mac the Ripper but they no longer work on my MAC. They also don't have a newer viersion that works with my OS. Can someone help by giving me a suggestion? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies
WINDOWLAB(1x)															     WINDOWLAB(1x)

NAME
windowlab - a window manager for X11 SYNOPSIS
windowlab [options...] DESCRIPTION
windowlab is a small and simple window manager of novel design. It has a click-to-focus but not raise-on-focus policy, a window resizing mechanism that allows one or many edges of a window to be changed in one action, and an innovative menubar that shares the same part of the screen as the taskbar. Window titlebars are prevented from going off the edge of the screen by constraining the mouse pointer, and when appropriate the pointer is also constrained to the taskbar/menubar in order to make target menu items easier to hit. WindowLab places a taskbar at the top of the screen and adds a titlebar to the top of each window. These titlebars consist of a draggable area, and three icons on the right hand side. When left clicked, these icons: * hide the window * toggle the window's Z order Amiga style (if it's not at the front, bring it to the front, otherwise send it to the back) * close the window Another way of toggling a window's Z order (depth) is by double left clicking on the draggable part of its titlebar. Windows' titlebars are prevented from leaving the screen and cannot overlap the taskbar. The taskbar should list all windows currently in use. Left clicking on a window's taskbar item will give that window focus and toggle its Z order (depth). To resize the active window hold down alt and push against the window's edges with the left mouse button down. If you right click outside a client window, WindowLab's taskbar becomes a menubar. Releasing the right mouse button over a selected menu item will start a corresponding external program. WindowLab will look in each of the following files in turn for definitions of the menu labels and commands: * ~/.windowlab/windowlab.menurc * ../etc/windowlab.menurc (from the directory containing the executable) * /etc/X11/windowlab/windowlab.menurc Each line in the menurc file should have the menu label, a colon, and then the corresponding command, eg: The GIMP:gimp New windows (that don't specify their location) are positioned according to the coordinates of the mouse - the top-left hand corner of a new window is set to the location of the mouse pointer (if necessary the window will be moved to ensure that all of it is on the screen). WindowLab has the following keyboard controls. Hold down alt and press: * tab to give focus to the previous window * q to give focus to the next window * F11 to toggle fullscreen mode on and off for non transient windows * F12 to toggle the window's depth. This is the same as left clicking a window's middle icon OPTIONS
-font font-spec Draw window titles with the font defined by font-spec. -border color, -text color, -active color, -inactive color, -menu color, -selected color, -empty color Use color for the borders, the text, the active background, the inactive background, the menubar, the selected menu item and empty parts of the screen. -about Print information to stdout and exit. -display Sets which X display will be managed by windowlab. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DISPLAY Sets which X display will be managed by windowlab. MENU SYSTEM
This version of WindowLab supports the Debian Menu subsystem. To update the menus, it suffices to execute the command update-menus. If executed as root, the system setting in /etc/X11/windowlab/windowlab.menurc will be affected, whereas execution by any underprivileged user only effects the private resource file in ~/.windowlab/windowlab.menurc. The following files tune the compilation of auto-generated menus: /etc/X11/windowlab/debian_config, ~/.windowlab/debian_config Debian-specific system configuration and user-specific overrides. /etc/X11/windowlab/common_menu A common tail part, that currently encompasses About, Reload and Quit. All users get these entries included in their menu. ~/.windowlab/user_menu Menu entries hand-picked by the individual user. SIGNALS
When WindowLab receives a SIGHUP signal, it will reload all relevant menu resource files, thus updating the menu bar. SEE ALSO
X(7), The Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual (from the X11R6 documentation). AUTHOR
Nick Gravgaard (me at nickgravgaard.com) Nick Gravgaard 1.40 WINDOWLAB(1x)