Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX® ?? - vs... um.. non ® Post 49477 by Verbose Bob on Friday 2nd of April 2004 05:15:11 AM
Old 04-02-2004
well then, who owns "Linux"? anybody?

It's really pointless to have to call BSD a "Unix-like" operating system. It's like having someone own the trademark "gasoline" and then everyone else calling their product a "gasoline-like fuel". My mother is actually a trademark, copyright, and intellectual property attorney. I'll ask her to look into this when she gets a chance.

It makes this whole thing somewhat confusing.

I mean, how far off from something like Solaris is FreeBSD in terms of usability? To the end-user, would they seem extremely similar?

Although, at the same time, tissue manufacturers can't call their product Kleenex, although that word is synonymous with tissues. However I would argue that in the case of intellectual property, namely software, where standards are of importance, Unix should be a universally used term to identify the type of OS by major similarities. In fact it is the standardization argument that I bet would clinch the deal.

Although again, I should really consult my mother on this as it is her line of work and not mine.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script for sending a file from one unix directory to another unix server director

Hi, My local server is :/usr/abcd/ Remote server is :/Usr/host/test/ I want to send files from local unix directory(All files starting with O_999) to remote host unix directory. Can any body give me the Unix Shell script to do this. One more doubt: Shall we need to change the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raja_1234
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch job in unix server to move the pdf file from unix to windows.

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to setup a batch job which runs everymonth and move the pdf files from unix server to windows servers. Could some body provide the inputs for this. and also please provide the inputs on how to map the network dirve in the unix like that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ger199901
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer from Window server to UNIX and UNIX to UNIX

Dear All, Can someone help to command or program to transfer the file from windows to Unix server and from one unix server to another Unix server in secure way. I would request no samba client. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

VIP Membership - The UNIX and Linux Forums - Get Your UNIX.COM Email Address Here

We work hard to make The UNIX and Linux Forums one of the best UNIX and Linux knowledge sources on the net. The site is certainly one of the top UNIX and Linux Q&A sites on the web. In order to provide certain members the best quality account services, you can now get some great extra features by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
bsod(6x)							XScreenSaver manual							  bsod(6x)

NAME
bsod - Blue Screen of Death emulator SYNOPSIS
bsod [-display host:display.screen] [-foreground color] [-background color] [-window] [-root] [-mono] [-install] [-visual visual] [-delay seconds] [-fps] DESCRIPTION
The bsod program is the finest in personal computer emulation. bsod steps through a set of screens, each one a recreation of a different failure mode of an operating system. Systems depicted include Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows NT, MS-DOS, AmigaDOS 1.3, Linux, SCO UNIX, BSD UNIX, HPUX, Solaris, Tru64, VMS, HVX/GCOS6, IBM OS/390, OS/2, MacOS (MacsBug, Bomb, Sad Mac, and OSX), Atari ST, Apple ][+, and NCD X Terminals. OPTIONS
bsod accepts the following options: -window Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default. -root Draw on the root window. -mono If on a color display, pretend we're on a monochrome display. -install Install a private colormap for the window. -visual visual Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual. -delay delay The delay between displaying one crash and another. -only which Tell it to run only one mode, e.g., -only HPUX. -fps Display the current frame rate and CPU load. ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY to get the default host and display number. XENVIRONMENT to get the name of a resource file that overrides the global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property. X RESOURCES
Notable X resources supported include the following, which control which hacks are displayed and which aren't. doWindows, doNT, doWin2K, doAmiga, doMac, doMac1, doMacsBug, doMacX, doSCO, doAtari, doBSD, doLinux, doSparcLinux, doHPPALinux, doBlitDamage, doSolaris, doHPUX, doApple2, doOS390, doTru64, doVMS, doMSDOS, doOS2, doHVX, and doATM. Each of these is a Boolean resource, they all default to true, except for doAtari, doBSD, doSparcLinux, and doHPPALinux, which are turned off by default, because they're really not all that interesting looking unless you're a fan of those systems. There are command-line options for all of these: e.g., -bsd, -no-bsd. (Also note the -only option.) BUGS
Unlike the systems being simulated, bsod does not require a reboot after running. SEE ALSO
X(1), xscreensaver(1), http://www.microsoft.com/, http://www.apple.com/, http://www.sco.com/, http://www.kernel.org/, and http://www.amiga.de/. TRADEMARKS
Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Windows 95, and Microsoft Windows NT are all registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Apple Macintosh is a registered trademark of Apple Computer. Amiga is a registered trademark of Amiga International, Inc. Atari ST is probably a trade- mark, too, but it's hard to tell who owns it. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds, but it isn't his fault. OS/2 is a regis- tered trademark of International Business Machines Corporation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1998-2003 by Jamie Zawinski. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. No animals were harmed during the testing of these simula- tions. Always mount a scratch monkey. AUTHOR
Concept cribbed from Stephen Martin <smartin@mks.com>. This version is by Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>, with contributions from many oth- ers. X Version 11 5.15 (28-Sep-2011) bsod(6x)