Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix? Whats that
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix? Whats that Post 49384 by HOUSCOUS on Wednesday 31st of March 2004 11:09:55 PM
Old 04-01-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by DamienVryce
I am a gamer, but I want to learn Unix. Can't you run two OS's on one PC? I am pretty sure my PC can handle it. 3.08 giga hertz, 80 giga bites etc. etc.
You can install multiple OS in one box. But you could only run one at one time. or you want to use vmware. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whats the dif between AIX and UNIX?

Hi, sorry to ask and exceedingly dumb question, but as far as UNIX goes I really am the newbiest of the newbies. I've been posed a question by one of my bosses, I'll break it down. He says "We have a big AIX box and I'd like to use Notes to handle the SMTP side of things." I say, "Okay I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SlyClone2k
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the Vhost Command for the Unix Shell

anyone know? would be greatly thankful. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellnewbie
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats does this mean

Found this piece of code written in ksh. I have no ideas what do the stuff like ${SRF##*\.} do. SUFFIX=${SRF##*\.} if ; then SUFFIX="" fi I have encountered similar expressions in other programs also. Any pointers on where to learn more about these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

4. Programming

whats the command in unix

what is the command to print the text in a specifed location eg i have text ("i am here"); i have to print it on location 20,20 wat is the command and which header file it uses i am currentlr working in solaris 5.8 using unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramneek
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux OR Unix Whats The Difference!

What is the difference bettween linux and unix? Sorry but I am really new to this! :confused: Also are they BOTH free :-D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesthemagicia
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whats the latest verson of Unix?

Also can unix be downloaded? Thank you, Nic (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicjr3
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whats is the user of $ and # in UNIX ???

Whats is the user of $ and # in UNIX ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paynemax
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats setenv in unix

Hi whats the setenv command in unix..?? i have set the oracle_home path as aa.ii.1 in kron_settings and mentioned setenv oracle_path as aa.ii.2 in user settings. Does this make any changes made to the path name of the oracle_home when i run a scripts in unix..???:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Whats the fastest UNIX compression utility you know of.

Hi everyone, Just interested to know everyones opinions on the fastest unix compression utility with okejish compression (doesnt have to have awsome compression). I know of gzip bzip2 (sucks lol) and a couple of others but what is a great one for compression large amounts of data that wont eat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aleks001
8 Replies

10. Programming

Whats the most in-demand programming language UNIX

I am interested in learning Programming Language to complement my UNIX. What language should I concentrate on to enhance my UNIX. What companies are seeking with UNIX. What languages are used with UNIX as for as there application. Are there any one here from DC (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbest1966
6 Replies
U9FS(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   U9FS(4)

NAME
u9fs - serve 9P from Unix SYNOPSIS
u9fs [ directory ] DESCRIPTION
U9fs is not a Plan 9 program. Instead it is a program that serves Unix files to Plan 9 machines using the 9P protocol (see intro(5)). It is to be invoked on a Unix machine by inetd with its standard input, output, and error connected to a network connection, typically TCP on an Ethernet. It runs as user root and multiplexes access to multiple Plan 9 clients over the single wire. It simulates Unix permissions itself by assuming Plan 9 uids match Unix login names. If a directory is specified u9fs first does a Unix chroot system call to that directory. Plan 9 calls this service 9fs with TCP service number 564 on the Ethernet. Set up this way on a machine called, say, kremvax, u9fs may be connected to the name space of a Plan 9 process by 9fs kremvax Due to a bug in some versions of the IP software, some systems will not accept the service name 9fs, thinking it a service number because of the initial digit. If so, run the service as u9fs or 564 and do the srv and mount by hand: srv tcp!kremvax!u9fs mount -c /srv/tcp!kremvax!u9fs /n/kremvax For more information on this procedure, see srv(4) and bind(1). U9fs serves the entire file system of the Unix machine. It forbids access to devices because the program is single-threaded and may block unpredictably. Using the attach specifier device connects to a file system identical to the usual system except it permits device access (and may block unpredictably): srv tcp!kremvax!9fs mount -c /srv/tcp!kremvax!9fs /n/kremvax device (The 9fs command does not accept an attach specifier.) Even so, device access may produce unpredictable results if the block size of the device is greater than 8192, the maximum data size of a 9P message. The source to u9fs is in the Plan 9 directory /sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs. To install u9fs on a Unix system, copy the source to a directory on that system. Edit the makefile to set LOG to a proper place for a log file and to set the compile-time configuration correctly. Then com- pile with an ANSI C compiler and install in /usr/etc/u9fs. Install this line in inetd.conf: 9fs stream tcp nowait root /usr/etc/u9fs u9fs and this in services: 9fs 564/tcp 9fs # Plan 9 fs SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs DIAGNOSTICS
Problems are reported to /tmp/u9fs.log. A compile-time flag enables chatty debugging. SEE ALSO
bind(1), srv(4), ip(3), nfsserver(8) BUGS
The implementation of devices is unsatisfactory. U9FS(4)