Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: opening a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers opening a file Post 49320 by hiei on Tuesday 30th of March 2004 05:52:55 PM
Old 03-30-2004
it still won't open it i changed it to a bunch of different names i tried

open -adg
open -a adg

(btw adg is the new name)

i don't understand, perhaps adg is a command to?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making Changes without opening file

Hello, I'm new to scripting, I have a file test.dat. I want to make changes to it with out openning it. Example: test.dat has rows, and I want to change value "LA" to "TX" without opening it or without writing it to another file. Is it possible? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: irehman
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know whether that file has eol or noeol before opening that file in VI editor

Hi, I want to check whether file has EOL or NOEOL before opening this file in VI editor. My file is very big its in terms of 15-20 MB. I am using ksh for this. When we opened the file in vi editor, normally at last line we are able to see whether this is eol or noeol file. But i does want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HariRaju
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a file from the terminal

Hi, this is such a simple question (I think), but I don't know the answer, obviously. If I'm using the terminal, and I'm remotely logged on to another computer, and I'm in my directory on that computer, what command would I use to...open a file? For example, a .exe file, or a .txt file...all I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djaunl
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines inside a file without opening the file

Hi, Just consider there are around 10 lines in a file. Now is it possible to delete the first 2 lines in the file without opening the file. No matter whatever the content of the file is, I just wanna delete the first 2 lines without opening the file. Is that possible? If so, please help me out.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
3 Replies

5. Programming

Error in opening a file C++

Hi, I have written a function which will open the file with the input name provided.Input name is in string format so while opening I am converting it using c_str().detail code below Plz let me know what is the wrong in code. 1 #include<iostream> 2 #include<fstream> 3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forstudy3
4 Replies

6. Programming

Problem in opening a file!

Hello All, I am new to programming in unix. I am trying to create a file by using open command. The entire file is : #include<fcntl.h> main(void){ int fd; fd = open("File1", O_CREAT|O_WRONLY, S_IRUSR|S_IWUSR|S_IRWXO); printf("%d ", fd); } The problem I am facing a strange problem.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkn_1985
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xmllint - Xml-file problem --ods file not opening

Dear All, this is my first post on this Forum, glad to be here. I'm trying to fix an .ods file. Yes, I had a backup, but it's also corrupted. When opening the document I get this EM: read error format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,337040(row,col). So I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameslast
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

GZ file not opening in windows

I am zipping a file in unix and then sending it to windows. buyt when i try to open it with 7zip software. it throws an error FILE IS BROKEN (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening a file in vi and automatically save and quit this file using shell script

Hi friends, In my shell script, I want to open a file using vi editor. After opening the file in vi, I want to save and quit this file automatically.... all through shell script. the code segment is: ------------------------------------------------------------ cd ~/netfpga/projects/scone/sw/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinteotia
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a file without opening the file and delete last line?

I have file called "text". The contents are as below : aaa bbb ccc ddd eee ffff ddd hhhh iiii I want to read this file without opening and and delete the last line. How can it be done? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_hunter
4 Replies
GOPEN(1)						       GNUstep System Manual							  GOPEN(1)

NAME
gopen - open files SYNOPSIS
gopen [-a application] [-o] [-p] [-NXHost hostname] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The gopen command allows you open a file (or directory) as if you had double clicked the object's icon. It is possible to specify one or more filenames which are interpreted relative to the current working directory. By default, gopen will open filename with the application currently assigned to the file's extension. But by specifing the -a flag on the command line you can tell gopen to open the file with another application. You can also directly print a file without ( -p ) or with ( -p -o ) opening it. As with most other GNUstep software, it is easily possible to attach the process to a remote window server using the -NXHost flag. OPTIONS
-a application use application to open filename -o open filename (may be used in conjunction with -p ). -p print filename instead of opening. -NXHost hostname attach to remote window server on hostname EXAMPLES
Open all files with a .txt extension in the current directory: gopen *.txt To open a source file in CodeEditor (instead of the current default application), type: gopen -a CodeEditor MySourceFile.m To print the .plan file in your home folder, use the -p flag: gopen -p ~/.plan BUGS
Using the -a application argument, gopen allows you to open any kind of file with any application you want. This does, however, not work with applications employing the NSDocument architecture as they will only receive filenames whose types the application has registered. To circumvent this limitation, applications may advertise their ability to open all kinds of files through the "*" filetype. When gopen is used with only the -a application argument but no filename present, the application is simply launched without opening a specific file. SEE ALSO
GNUstep(7), openapp(1) HISTORY
gopen was written November 2001. This manual page was first written July 2003. AUTHORS
gopen was written by Gregory Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com>. This man page was written by Martin Brecher <martin@mb-itconsulting.com>. GNUstep August 2003 GOPEN(1)