Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: free vs commercial Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers free vs commercial Unix Post 49319 by Verbose Bob on Tuesday 30th of March 2004 05:34:06 PM
Old 03-30-2004
free vs commercial Unix

First off, I apologize for making my first post here a question that has probably been asked over a billion times... however with the ever changing nature of technology, it almost seems like yesterday's answers are no longer applicable.

Basically I am looking to start up a business and am trying to figure out what OS is best for me. I definately want to use Unix over Linux as I am more familiar with Unix. I am not an experienced Unix admin however I am reading as much as I can to try to get up to speed.

My business will be running its own servers for DNS/web/database/proxy-cache/email/etc. I would like if possible to use a single common OS throughout all the servers to make administration easier. I am prepared to buy Sun servers if necessary to run Solaris, or IBM servers to run AIX, etc etc... I also am willing to purchase servers and load FreeBSD/netBSD/OpenBSD on it. What it really comes down to though is power/stability/security/flexibility. I want whatever is the best OS for the job.

I was originally thinking of going with Sun servers running Solaris, however I have gotten many mixed messages regarding whether this is a good idea or not. Most people seem to say that FreeBSD is the best for my purposes and that Solaris's advantage is mainly the ability to run Oracle and to hot-swap CPU's, etc.

Being that I am fairly new to the Unix world, I don't have a preference, and am willing to learn whatever I get. I just am trying to make a more educated decision regarding which Unix is the best for me.

So any help that you guys could offer in aiding my decision would be much appreciated. What are the benefits of each OS, vs the cons of each OS? Is the main draw of FreeBSD that it is free? Etc etc.

Thanks Smilie

Last edited by Verbose Bob; 03-30-2004 at 06:59 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free/Educational Unix for PC??

1) Which versions of unix are available free or for educational purposes for PC. I see that the solaris binaries cannot be used on PC. 2) When I installed Linux RedHat, I had to make a partition in ext3 format. Will I have to do something similar for unix? BTW, my linux red hat os will not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LANSTARR.COM
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free Shareware for UNix.

Hello Guys, Just started with unix. I need it to keep my job. I need a free downloadable Unix simulator to use. I already have a unix material i'm reading. Any ideas. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iwegbue3
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free UNIX version

Hi, I want to learn UNIX at home. Are there any free version of UNIX to download on the internet and install on my PC??? (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: 012633023
20 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get UNIX tutorials(Free of Cost)

I wanted to learn UNIX & Shell Programming.Now i want material at free of cost.Where can i get ...tell me the SItes to get the tutorials (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hairamu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to download this free Unix database

Hi Folks, I was looking around some web sites and found out that there is/was this free databse for Unix called RDB by Walter Hobbs, which uses ASCII text files for its databases and uses Unix commands to manipulate them. Unfortunately, I can no longer access the ftp site mentioned on the web... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooseter
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Free UNIX software with oracle

Hi Friends, is there any site for download the UNIX operating system with Oracle database. if yes, Please send me the link for download the free Oracle software in UNIX environment. Thanks MPS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psiva_arul
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free unix software

I used to have a free software on my computer to practice unix. Unfortunately, I had to rebuild the laptop after it was infected by a virus. Now I cannot remember the website where to download the software. Can anyone point me to a site? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Output of Free command in unix?

Hello, I need some help to interpret the below output... What is -/+ buffers/cache? My understanding is, total RAM is 3986152 Bytes, used RAM is 3950904 bytes. What is buffers and cached?? Can any one please interpret this output? It would be great help if some one can help me on this? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free O/S for Unix downloads

Can I download Debian or SUSE for free? If so, from where on the internet can I get a free version of Unix? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsb1022
3 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Linux & UNIX in commercial appliances

Hi All, I was wondering how come major router vendors (e.g C**CO ) use a custom linux/unix in their appliance but do not publish this custom code. Isn't it a disobedience to the GPL licence ? Please share your thoughts. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
0 Replies
dhcp_modules(5) 					Standards, Environments, and Macros					   dhcp_modules(5)

NAME
dhcp_modules - data storage modules for the DHCP service DESCRIPTION
This man page describes the characteristics of data storage modules (public modules) for use by the Solaris Dynamic Host Configuration Pro- tocol (DHCP) service. Public modules are the part of the DHCP service architecture that encapsulate the details of storing DHCP service data in a data storage service. Examples of data storage services are NIS+, Oracle, and ufs file systems. Public modules are dynamic objects which can be shipped separately from the Solaris DHCP service. Once installed, a public module is visi- ble to the DHCP service, and can be selected for use by the service through the DHCP service management interfaces (dhcpmgr(1M), dhcpcon- fig(1M), dhtadm(1M), and pntadm(1M)). Public modules may be provided by Sun Microsystems, Inc or by third parties. The Solaris DHCP service management architecture provides a mechanism for plugging in public module-specific administration functionality into the dhcpmgr(1M) and dhcpconfig(1M) utilities. This functionality is in the form of a Java Bean, which is provided by the public module vendor. This Java Bean collects public module-specific configuration from the user (you) and provides it to the Solaris DHCP service. The Solaris DHCP service bundles three modules with the service, which are described below. There are three dhcpsvc.conf(4) DHCP service configuration parameters pertaining to public modules: RESOURCE, PATH, and RESOURCE_CONFIG. See dhcpsvc.conf(4) for more information about these parameters. SUNWfiles This module stores its data in ASCII files. Although the format is ASCII, hand-editing is discouraged. It is useful for DHCP service envi- ronments that support several hundred to a couple thousand of clients and lease times are a few hours or more. This module's data may be shared between DHCP servers through the use of NFS. SUNWbinfiles This module stores its data in binary files. It is useful for DHCP service environments with many networks and many thousands of clients. This module provides an order of magnitude increase in performance and capacity over SUNWfiles. This module's data cannot be shared between DHCP servers. SUNWnisplus This module stores its data within a NIS+ domain. It is useful in environments where NIS+ is already deployed and facilitates sharing among multiple DHCP servers. This module suports several hundred to a few thousand clients with lease times of several hours or more. The NIS+ service should be hosted on a machine with ample CPU power, memory, and disk space, as the load on NIS+ is significant when it is used to store DHCP data. Periodic checkpointing of the NIS+ service is necessary in order to roll the transaction logs and keep the NIS+ service operating at its highest efficiency. See nisping(1M) and crontab(1) for more information. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), dhcpconfig(1M), dhcpmgr(1M), dhtadm(1M), nisping(1M), pntadm(1M), dhcpsvc.conf(4), dhcp(5) Solaris DHCP Service Developer's Guide SunOS 5.10 24 Jan 2003 dhcp_modules(5)