Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dead.letter
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers dead.letter Post 49239 by zazzybob on Monday 29th of March 2004 09:37:47 AM
Old 03-29-2004
You might be able to just zero the size of the dead.letter file using
Code:
cat /dev/null > /var/tmp/dead.letter

which at least will provide a temporary solution.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Dead SUN

My SUN V210 refuses to fully boot up. We had a power outage (ie. someone tripped the cord) and thereafter the Sun will not come up, and the OS is not starting. The LED on the front is not lit. Monitor gets no feed, so I plugged in via the management port. The system comes up to: Trap 3e. and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ireeneek
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is dead.letter ??

Hi all can you please help me what is dead.letter file ? when it is created ? for the first time i have seen this file getting created in my current directory? I am using SunOs. Any IDEA ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail in the dead.letter file

Sorry for this one ladies and gents, it's probably very easy but I don't know how to, sound familiar :-) I'm using sendmail on a web server that sends some mail through forms, not many. I've got sendmail configured to use our networks relay host and everything was working well. The power... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdavies
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

dead.letter issue

Hi, I have created a script that has some sql queries in it. It seem to work fine and e-mails me the output file but when i use this command 'col email format a20' it creates a dead.letter file and i never get the e-mail I am using mailx -s command to send out the e-mail. Any help would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawnk
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Usenet is dead

On servers i check there seems to be no news at all. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
3 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Send mail from dead.letter

Hi, Can someone pls tell me how do i mail the contents of my dead.letter to my mail id. The problem is that the content is a multi-part message in MIME format. How do i get the original message mailed to me. i used uuencode, but that does not work, says "uuencode not found" Any help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed is dead

Hello everybody, I'm new to bash scripting (and scripting in general) but I'm making decent progress in the hands-on solutions I need... I've encountered a problem that seemed very simple to me at first, but had me going on for hours. Maybe you can help me. Say I have an input text file like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific letter in a file by other letter

Good afternoon all, I want to ask how to change some letter in my file with other letter in spesific line eg. data.txt 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 for example i want to change the 4th line with character 1. How could I do it by SED or AWK. I have tried to run this code but actually did not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
3 Replies
RNMAIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RNMAIL(1)

NAME
Rnmail - a program for replying via mail SYNOPSIS
Rnmail destination_list or Rnmail -h headerfile [oldarticle] or Rnmail DESCRIPTION
Rnmail is a friendly interface for mailing replies to news articles. It will ask several questions, then allow you to enter your letter, and then mail it off. If you type h and a carriage return at any point, Rnmail will tell you what it wants to know. The -h form is used when invoked from rn. If your editor can edit multiple files, and you want the article to which you are replying to show up as an alternate file, define the environment variable MAILPOSTER as "Rnmail -h %h %A". You can also modify the the MAILHEADER environment variable to change the header file that rn passes to Rnmail. ENVIRONMENT
DOTDIR If defined, specifies a place other than your home directory where 'dot' files may be stored. This is primarily for accounts which are shared by more than one person. Default: $HOME EDITOR The editor you want to use, if VISUAL is undefined. Default: whatever your news administrator installed, usually vi. HOME Your home directory. Default: $LOGDIR LOGDIR Your home directory if HOME is undefined. LOGNAME Your login name, if USER is undefined. Default: value of "whoami". MAILRECORD If defined, contains the name of a file to which the finished message will be appended. Default: message not saved ORGANIZATION Either the name of your organization, or the name of a file containing the name of your organization. Default: whatever your news administrator chose. USER Your login name. Default: $LOGNAME VISUAL The editor you want to use. Default: $EDITOR FILES
$DOTDIR/.letter ~/dead.letter SEE ALSO
rn(1), Pnews(1), mail(1) DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
Uses /bin/mail in the absence of sendmail. LOCAL RNMAIL(1)